T-minus 40 days!!!
DH and I are headed to Italy for the first time for 19 days (including travel, so 17 nights total). We leave in just over a month, and I think we finally have everything sorted out. At this point, we're pleased with the number of nights in each city, accommodations and some MINI Fares are booked so I'm not looking back.
This is segment 1 of 6. I realize from searching other posts that it would be easier to follow if I have separate posts for each city (and I tend to be quite wordy, I'm sorry in advance ). This post will focus on getting to Italy and our 2 nights in Milan.
I think I've pretty much organized our daily itineraries, but that is the area where I'm looking for the advice and comments for the wise Fodorites
And yes, I know that no matter what I do there will be days that don't go according to my plan. That's perfectly fine, I can handle that. I just like to be planned and organized because IME its been easier to get back on track when things go wrong, or when we decide to deviate from "the plan".
Also, any dining recommendations are welcome as well. DH and I enjoy all types of food (I dislike the term, but I suppose we're foodies), but we like to try to find food that is authentic to the areas we're in.
Ok, here we go:
May 13th - EWR to FRA
We plan to freshen up at the Lufthansa Welcome lounge on our 2 hour layover so we can just drop off our bags when we get to Milan, but we've never been to the Frankfurt airport. Is this realistic, or will we have to go straight to the gate once we get through customs? We will only have carry-on luggage so we hope to be able to get off the plan and on line for customs quickly.
May 14th - FRA to MXP
Arrive at MXP at 10:30 (hopefully). Train or shuttle (whichever comes first) to Milano Centrale.
Should I buy a SIM card at the airport, or wait until we get into Milan?
Either way, we will walk to the Best Western Felice Casati to check in and/or drop off our bags. Then we plan to head to the Duomo. Any suggestions for lunch in that area? Is Peck worth a visit?
After lunch and the Duomo we'll wander around the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. Then I thought we would wander through the Brera District and find a little cafe for some people watching, or head back near the hotel and shop (or window shop) along Corso Buenos Aires.
Depending how tired we are we may look for an apperitivo near our hotel. Any suggestions? Then we'll hopefully grab an early dinner (also nearby) before falling asleep.
9:30am - Reservations for the Last Supper
Ambrosiana Library & Museum?
3pm - San Siro Stadium for AC Milan v. Cagliari
Any suggestions where to enjoy an apperitivo or dinner that evening?
Obviously I know the first day will really depend on how much sleep we get on the plane. I'm hoping with the lay-flat seats (and a Xanax) that we'll get at least 4-5 hours.
The Last Supper reservations are set for the 2nd day. 9:30 was the only time available, even though I called about 2 hours after May tickets went on sale!
The AC Milan tickets aren't purchased yet, but I'm getting help with that from a friend who says he can get them without paying the ridiculous prices the brokers charge. Apparently you can only get them a few weeks before or something. DH and I are big sports fans, and his birthday is the week before so I thought that would make a nice gift (especially if AC Milan keeps winning).
However, if that doesn't happen does anyone have suggestions for that afternoon? I have a visit to the Ambrosiana Library & Museum as a backup right now, but if anyone has better suggestions I'd appreciate it.
Countdown: 40 days to fine tune our 19 day itinerary - Segment 1: Milan
T-minus 40 days!!!
- 1 Tour-Free Travel
- 2 UK in the Fall: Trip Suggestions
- 3 East coast trains
- 4 Nuremberg VGN Tageskarten Plus
- 5 Help needed with ratp site for Paris bus and metro
- 6 Help with Colosseum Underground tour needed
- 7 Local Living Rome- G adventures
- 8 Where to stay for one night ???
- 9 Ile de Re or Bassin d'Archachon at end of July
- 10 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 11 10 day honeymoon in Italy in Nov
- 12 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 13 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 14 France bed and breakfasts and restaurants in Provence, Vaison La Romaine, Uzès, Paris
- 15 Discount retail liquor stores - Barcelona or Madrid, Spain areas
- 16 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 17 Sketches from Italy: Rome, Ischia and Frascati
- 18 First time to paris...4day stay..what to do?
- 19 Paris Perfect: change of apartment
- 20 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist
- 21 Rome, Florence, Sorrento in 1 week
- 22 Barcelona to Positano
- 23 Guided Tour recommendation for Pere-Lachaise Cemetery needed
- 24 best place to get euros for Ireland trip
- 25 Retirement Vacation