We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 2 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 3 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 4 Seeking Ideas/Suggestions for Post Rhine River Cruise in Switzerland
- 5 Restaurant recommendation for Milan
- 6 More questions about Swiss rail system and the Bernina Express?
- 7 9 Day Spain Itinerary (Barcelona - Seville - Madrid)
- 8 Hey Fodor's
- 9 Pontresina to Tirano by Train
- 10 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 11 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 12 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 13 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 14 Wineries open on Saturdays in October
- 15 Haarlem Holland - Hotels or B&Bs
- 16 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 17 Apartment rental agencies in Barcelona
- 18 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 19 Christmas in salzburg
- 20 Getting from Conrad Dublin to Train Station
- 21 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 22 Bad Experience with Argus Car Hire Insurance offered by them
- 23 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 24 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 25 Italy through locals eyes