We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France Part Deux - Itinerary Advice
- 2 Lake Geneva / Great St Bernard Pass / Milan / Naples
- 3 Splitting 11 days between Amsterdam and Dubrovnik
- 4 What tips can you give about packing?
- 5 Croatia Itinerary help for 13 days in September 2017
- 6 Ludwig Castles
- 7 Hallstatt tour recommendations?
- 8 Where to stay in SW Ireland, Killarney or Kenmare?
- 9 Experience with Earthbound Tours
- 10 Charles de Gaulle departure
- 11 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 12 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 13 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 14 Aix en Provence Day Trips
- 15 Two day Dublin itinerary
- 16 Porte de Vanves or Clignancourt
- 17 Short Trip in July
- 18 Springtime in Holland - Trip report
- 19 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 20 HIking through France for 2 weeks
- 21 First trip to England & Ireland-9 days in August
- 22 current best wisdom on taxis from CDG to 17eme
- 23 Cell Phone Question
- 24 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 25 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?