We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Any Glasgow Experts?
- 2 too many London hotels!
- 3 Where in Costa del Sol ?
- 4 Stockholm/Copenhagen/Norway?
- 5 Parking in Hallstadt, Dachstein and Linz?
- 6 The ever-popular Chip and Pin Credit Card
- 7 Giving credit card details to Hotels for reservation
- 8 Dachstein - Salzkammergut Visit
- 9 Itinerary Barcelona & Southern France 9/23-10/14/15
- 10 No cars/taxis in Paris...at all....9/27
- 11 Cloest Rome train station to FCO
- 12 Travel Time from Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport to Gare du Nord Station?
- 13 Sorrento or Positano
- 14 Suggestions on traveling from Palermo, Sicily to Munich, Germany
- 15 France -2 weeks Itinerary critique
- 16 Road Trip: Munich, Germany to Northern Italy
- 17 Need good fondue in Lucerne
- 18 Greece, Italy Or Swiss in Late Oct ??
- 19 Train/Subway Questions
- 20 British Airways hand luggage - how strict are they on measurements?
- 21 Our Next Europe Trip
- 22 8 days in southern Italy - best way to visit Pompeii and Naples
- 23 South Florida, Transatlantic cruise, Berlin, Gorlitz and Dresden and Poland
- 24 The cathedral of Amiens in color
- 25 Great Hotels in Prague and Vienna?
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?