We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Travel Pass for US citizens
- 2 If Greece exits
- 3 Lake Maggiore?
- 4 Berlin Walking Tours - Any recommendations?
- 5 Eating Our Way Through Paris...Again! Trip Report
- 6 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 7 Expresso Wifi - Other Wifi Devices
- 8 Bluebells and Blackfaced Sheep on the Single Track Roads of Scotland
- 9 Three day trips from Amsterdam
- 10 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 11 For art lovers in London next week
- 12 Night life for 20 somethings: Madrid vs. Barcelona
- 13 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 14 Rental property in Berner Oberland?
- 15 HELP! Mediolanum Forum Assago, Italy??
- 16 Amsterdam historical walking tour
- 17 French Basque country
- 18 U K Shelves Ambitious Rail Improvements
- 19 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 20 €2500 for full day boating outing on Amalfi coast?
- 21 Seeking help on my 12 days trip from Switzerland to Austria
- 22 Swiss Bernese Regional Pass - Part way OK, then rest of way pay?
- 23 driving loop in Normandy
- 24 Wurzberg parking outside of city
- 25 Best way to deal with large, cash-only lodging bill - Amsterdam
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?