We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Needed: a nice beach break in Spain!
- 2 3 Star Hotel or B&B recommendations for Venice, Florence, and Rome Needed
- 3 Madrid night life – nice bars to relax and enjoy music?
- 4 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 5 Best town for 3 nights on the Costa Brava?
- 6 First Trip to Italy - Could use some help!
- 7 Train tickets within Italy
- 8 Bavaria area to Hallstatter to Croatia, Berchtesgaden and Munich
- 9 Bavaria area to Hallstatter to Croatia, Berchtesgaden and Munich
- 10 What is the perfect day in Bruges?
- 11 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 12 18 days driving trip Rome>Spain>Rome
- 13 11 day Swiss and Italy
- 14 Cycling in Southern France--Flat terraine
- 15 Trains from Brussels to other Belgian cities/towns
- 16 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 17 Hotel in Istanbul
- 18 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 19 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 20 Mont St. Michele?
- 21 Siciliy - travel from Taormina to Siracusa via public transportation
- 22 Norway and Denmark Itinerary Critique Please
- 23 Our first trip to Europe
- 24 Best driving map for Greece?
- 25 Train from Monterosso to Padua