We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tentative Itinerary for London & south east UK
- 2 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 3 Sweden, Denmark, Norway
- 4 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 5 Notes on Amsterdam, Bruges & Paris - Sept 8-28, 2014
- 6 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 7 Help with England/Wales tour
- 8 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 9 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 10 Deciding on apartment location in Rome
- 11 Reykjavik hotels
- 12 Hotels that we found special
- 13 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 14 Too many Trip Reports
- 15 How much do you spend on travel in Europe?
- 16 Staycation: can't believe I'm doing this
- 17 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 18 Two Dip-$hits go to Italy! Amalfi Coast, Rome and Bologna
- 19 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 20 Public holiday Prague 17 Nov
- 21 travel from Malaga to Rhonda Spain
- 22 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 23 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 24 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 25 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia