We are a family of 4 (daughters age 9 & 5) travelling to France in Sept-Oct. After 2 weeks in Paris & Burgundy we will be driving south via Annecy to Cote d'Azur & Provence.
Thank you to StuDudley, we have managed to narrow down our itinerary somewhat, but would love any comments or suggestions before booking & finalising all our accommodation.
We like to walk around and soak up the atmosphere. Love to sample good local cuisine. Don't want to stay in very touristy areas, but still want to be walking distance to main attractions while staying in a town such as Nice, and then alternating with tranquility of a country setting.
We are unsure whether to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nice? Also any recommendation for a family hotel / B&B / guesthouse in Nice or St Tropez? Our budget is 100-200Euros per night. Prefer quirky, character rather than too simple (bland) or modern. Would pay more for something veyr special.
week 1 Paris
week 2 Gite in Clomot, Burgundy
2 nights Annecy
1 night Briancon
Drive to St Paul de Vence, via Entreveux
3 nights St Paul de Vence, base for exploring Cote d'Azur
2 nights in Nice, rest from driving
1 (or two?) nights in St Tropez
5 nights - somewhere in the Luberon area as a base to visit western Provence. Ideally would like to find a 'farmstay' style B&B on a working farm (eg chickens & goats etc for the children... is there such a thing in Provence?)
Return to Paris via Lyon for two nights.
Would love to hear from anyone with experience travelling with children in this region. We'd be interested in some activities such as painting workshops, cooking classes, perfume tours in Grasse etc.
Any ' not to miss' sights and experiences?
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Which City with Paris
- 2 How to enjoy Paris on a low/moderate budget?
- 3 A few hours in Rotterdam
- 4 At least 13 dead as flash floods hit the French Riviera
- 5 Calling kimhe: Recommendation for concert at Palau de La Musica Catalana
- 6 London Boutique Hotel
- 7 Santorini
- 8 Phone for GPS in Italy/Europe--T Mobile Simple Choice ? Buy a SIM card?
- 9 Paris transport
- 10 pick pockets in Rome
- 11 Awe inspiring on the Amalfi Coast....an Albergo "Clash of the Titans"
- 12 Rugby World Cup - is your team playing?
- 13 10 day Italian Honeymoon in December
- 14 Is Capri worth going to?
- 15 French Toll Roads Chip & sign Credit Card Payments
- 16 How do you buy a Camper Van in Europe? Help ME!
- 17 Traffic Tickets - Why Should I Pay?
- 18 Salzburg, Vienna & Bratislava, Dec-Jan
- 19 Paris in April
- 20 MXP to Florence
- 21 Cost comparison b/w Paris and Switzerland(wengen)
- 22 Camino de Santiago - tour companies?
- 23 What's your best driving experience in Europe?
- 24 Base for 3 days in Galicia
- 25 Itinerary for 33 days, Portugal-Spain-Morocco, sensible?
Cote d'Azur, Provence itinerary & accommodation, suggestions?