today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 2 Need help completing my itinerary. So Much to see!
- 3 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 4 London Air Pollution Reaches Record Modern Highs...
- 5 Italy bus or train
- 6 Undisclsoed location
- 7 Need help with my itinerary
- 8 Organised day tours v/s self travel
- 9 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 10 Itinerary help Germany/Austria/Dolomites
- 11 Budget for 8 weeks in europe
- 12 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 13 Chamonix to Paris
- 14 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight
- 15 Warsaw to Smolensk?
- 16 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 17 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 18 A new species of Homo Sapien??
- 19 Paris in September
- 20 Hotel Danube. Paris.
- 21 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 22 help with Italy itinerary
- 23 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)
- 24 14 days end to end London Heathrow
- 25 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?