today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 4 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 5 San Sebastián
- 6 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 7 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 8 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 9 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 10 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 11 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 12 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 13 Planning A trip
- 14 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 15 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 16 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 17 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 18 Castle Stays in Wales
- 19 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 20 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 21 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 22 Can parking
- 23 italy Cinque Terre
- 24 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 25 Zurich to Milan trip