today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Chania
- 2 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 3 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 4 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 5 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 6 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 7 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 8 Help on ancient history route
- 9 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 10 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 11 Studying art in English in venice
- 12 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 13 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 14 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 15 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 16 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 17 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 18 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 19 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 20 French language immersion schools in France
- 21 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 22 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 23 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 24 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 25 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area