today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 4 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 5 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 6 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 7 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 8 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 9 Questions about Polish sights
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 12 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 13 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 14 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 15 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 16 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 17 Ireland travel passport question
- 18 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 19 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 20 Italy
- 21 Revised itinerary for italy
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 Juangfrau / mt
- 24 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 25 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)