today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 2 Short Trip in July
- 3 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 4 Things to do in Brussels
- 5 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 6 How beautiful is Lisbon compared to other european ciites?
- 7 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 8 Visiting Monte Carlo during Grand Prix week
- 9 Naxos car rental
- 10 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 11 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 12 K-Day
- 13 How do you buy a Camper Van in Europe? Help ME!
- 14 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 15 Driving from Spain to Portugal - passport check?
- 16 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 17 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 18 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 19 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 20 Greek Islands (small)
- 21 Campervan in Croatia
- 22 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 23 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 24 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 25 UK Visa Help