today's NYTimes carries an article outlining an agreement the Free City of Christiana, one of the few if not only remaining large-scale squat and commune from the 1970s in Europe, has made with the Danish government to continue its existence on government-owned land that was squatted on around 1971 and which the government has threatened to sell off to private developers.
Anyway anyone going to Copenhagen should include Chrisitana, said to be the city's #2 tourist site after Tivoli, on their list - a bizarre place for sure as you can see in the photos in the article - some of its restaurants have actually been acclaimed as amongst the best in Copenhagen. And Pusher Street apparently remains as well for unfettered sales of hashish and cannabis.
Christiana is in the heart of Copenhagen, in one of the most gorgeous parts of the city, laced by canals and abutting the sea. The eclectic style of housing and shops is something else. Christiana remains one of my very top travel experiences in decades of European travel.
But anyway it appears that the threat to Christiana's existence as it has been may be over though as the article says stumbling blocks remain.
and you too can become a stakeholder in this Free City by buying a share in it as the article reports.
anyone have any comments on Christiana - experiences there?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 릴게임야마토⋦⋦≫¯→ｓＶｖ７７７.ｚｅ.ａｍ→≫¯⋩⋩릴게임사이트
- 2 야마토사이트⋦⋦≫¯→ｓＶｖ７７７.ｚｅ.ａｍ→≫¯⋩⋩릴게임사이트
- 3 Back from Paris
- 4 Another tipping question: concierges
- 5 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 6 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 7 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 8 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 9 Luggage Storage
- 10 LIsbon
- 11 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 12 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 13 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 14 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 15 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 16 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 17 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 18 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 19 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 20 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 21 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 22 Trip suggestion
- 23 Spain in July
- 24 Summer Travel order
- 25 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt