I posted an earlier topic that covered whether to stay in Volterra or San Gimignano for the first two days of the Italy portion of our trip. Several Fodorites replied (thank you) including Sandralist who got me thinking.
In a nutshell, the original itinerary is arrive BLQ (from Germany so no jet lag) rent car, then 2 nights San Gimignano with a day trip to Volterra, followed by 4 nights Pienza and a night next to the airport in Rome.
What Sandralist pointed out was that both of my destinations were essentially similar. This struck me because DH was sort of rooked into this trip and is not as keen as I on Medieval sites. It also got me thinking, why not see a different area of Italy for those first two days and save San Gim/Volterra for our next trip.
Where we live is basically completely flat and completely land locked. So I'm looking for suggestions for those first two days that are either near the sea or perhaps dramatic mountain scenery. We enjoy walking and discovering. Archaeological sites are of great interest, pretty pedestrian areas are enjoyed. Cable cars or funiculars are a plus. If we stayed somewhere near the sea, we are not talking going to the beach, but perhaps taking a stroll by the sea (is a waterfront promenade asking too much?), and for DH, eating some seafood.
We are not big art lovers (sin that it is), not that we don't like to look at and appreciate art, it just is not a driving force for us.
We arrive at BLQ at 4PM and would optimally like to drive no more that 2 or 2 1/2 hours to reach the destination.
Places I've looked at and might be considering:
Rimini (with a day trip to San Marino)
Lake Garda (This would be perfect except it's the absolute wrong direction)
Oh yeah, the time frame for this trip is 4 weeks from now - we arrive in BLQ on Aug 1.
I have kept my reservations for San Gimignano, so keeping with the original itinerary is still an option.
Thanks for any suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 2 Watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets 2017 Online hd-free
- 3 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 4 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 5 Europe itinerary help!
- 6 Shorts in South of France?
- 7 barcelona neighborhood
- 8 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 9 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 10 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 11 Les Invalides Night Show
- 12 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 13 First trip to Greece (last minute!)
- 14 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 15 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 16 Best Greek Island
- 17 Which Day?
- 18 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 19 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 20 Advice for Honeymoon in Iceland (5 days)
- 21 Corsica and Sardinia
- 22 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 23 Regarding Residence Permit
- 24 ANY SUGGESTION WHICH AREA OF MADRID TO STAY FOR ACCOMODATION
- 25 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?