I'm afraid I am quite bewildered about two of Brussels' train stations and how we are to navigate them.
1. We are catching a train (Thalys) from Amsterdam to Brussels. This apparently arrives at Bruxelles-Midi (which means SOUTH - why not SUD?). It can also be called Gare du Midi or Zuidstation.
Anyway, we need to get to Brussels Centrale (or Gare Centrale or Brussel Centraal) because our hotel is walking distance from that station.
What is the easiest way to get to Central from South? We are told that Intercity is easier than Tram or Metro, but that the Midi station is big and busy so is there an easy way to find our way to the Intercity train we need?
2. After spending a night in Brussels, we are travelling to Bruges for two nights. Can we get a train from Central to Bruges, or do we need to make our way back to Midi for that trip? If we do, again what are the directions for getting from Central to Midi and on to a train that will get us to Bruges?
3. Following our 2-day stay in Bruges, we are travelling to Paris - again via Thalys, and again this train leaves from Midi. Various forums say that the Midi station has quite a high crime rate - especially for tourists looking "obviously lost".
It is also mentioned that the signage is not that good and I want to be sure that we can get off the train from Bruges and quickly and easily find our way to the correct Thalys platform. Is there an easy way to plan this ahead of time?
Thanks in advance - and sorry for being paranoid. Just need to be confident.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Revised itinerary for italy
- 2 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 3 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 4 A good book!!
- 5 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 6 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 Paris Metro
- 9 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 10 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 11 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 12 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 13 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 14 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 15 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 16 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 17 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 18 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 19 If you had to choose one......
- 20 CDG airport and connection time
- 21 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 22 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 23 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 24 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 25 How many nights to spend in Granada and Malaga & a few other questions