I'm afraid I am quite bewildered about two of Brussels' train stations and how we are to navigate them.
1. We are catching a train (Thalys) from Amsterdam to Brussels. This apparently arrives at Bruxelles-Midi (which means SOUTH - why not SUD?). It can also be called Gare du Midi or Zuidstation.
Anyway, we need to get to Brussels Centrale (or Gare Centrale or Brussel Centraal) because our hotel is walking distance from that station.
What is the easiest way to get to Central from South? We are told that Intercity is easier than Tram or Metro, but that the Midi station is big and busy so is there an easy way to find our way to the Intercity train we need?
2. After spending a night in Brussels, we are travelling to Bruges for two nights. Can we get a train from Central to Bruges, or do we need to make our way back to Midi for that trip? If we do, again what are the directions for getting from Central to Midi and on to a train that will get us to Bruges?
3. Following our 2-day stay in Bruges, we are travelling to Paris - again via Thalys, and again this train leaves from Midi. Various forums say that the Midi station has quite a high crime rate - especially for tourists looking "obviously lost".
It is also mentioned that the signage is not that good and I want to be sure that we can get off the train from Bruges and quickly and easily find our way to the correct Thalys platform. Is there an easy way to plan this ahead of time?
Thanks in advance - and sorry for being paranoid. Just need to be confident.
Confused about Brussels Train Stations
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Need packing help! What to wear daytime sightseeing in Europe...
- 2 Munich
- 3 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 4 Reservation needed in Germany?
- 5 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 6 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 7 recommendations for budget hotels - West End, Covent Garden, Bloomsbury
- 8 How far in advance should I book my car rentals ?
- 9 Munich with a car?
- 10 Amalfi (town) to Pompeii (ruins entrance-luggage storage area)
- 11 Greek Island Chartering Yacht with Skipper?
- 12 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Le Marche and the Dolomites
- 13 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 14 Wales/Scotland Trip - August 2014
- 15 Barcelona to SW France to Madrid in 10 days
- 16 Itinerary Help!
- 17 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 18 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 19 Rent a villa in Crete or Not?
- 20 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 21 He said , she said
- 22 driving map for Croatia and BiH
- 23 Any exciting towns South of Rome, Italy
- 24 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 25 Naples - Hotel to stay for 2 nites