I've done it and booked my KLM flight from Montreal-Amsterdam this June. My guide book has such a multidimensional focus that I'm having trouble picking out an area of interest... Roman & medieval history. I loved visiting Bath (Aquae Sulis), St. Albans (Verulamium) and Colchester (Camulodunum) for the Roman history, as well as Winchester Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and even a Medieval Merchant's House in Southampton in the UK for the sense of being transported back to that period and getting a sense of the different mores.
I'll be honest with you... I'm quite poorly informed... I even had to look it up to see on Wikipedia whether Holland was actually held by the Romans or the Germanic "barbarians" during the times of the Roman Empire (and I'm still not sure, seems perhaps divided?).
If you have some favorite (doesn't have to be grand, still standing but authentic is interesting to me!) spots in Holland for this, let me know! (I'll be staying in Haarlem, other than planning to go to Amsterdam a few times and Den Haag once during my 10 day stay, I've not plotted much out yet.)
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Beginner travelers on a budget to Marseille
- 2 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 3 plane or train for quick trip Rome to Venice
- 4 Northern Italy 1 week HELP
- 5 Venice to Positano to Rome travel help
- 6 Beaune looking for accommodation suggestions
- 7 Fodor's Survey
- 8 Glorious -- 18 days in Sicily
- 9 The Independent Storefronts of Paris
- 10 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 11 Barcelona question
- 12 Help with first time trip with family
- 13 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 14 UK - Celebrating Thanksgiving?
- 15 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 16 European Cooking Secrets
- 17 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 18 Azores, Canary Islands, Mallorca, or Hawaii for August Honeymoon
- 19 Trip changes- added Paris and Florence!
- 20 My 60th birthday surprises
- 21 20 Days in Europe
- 22 4 days in switzerland
- 23 Mallorca: Off the tourist trail
- 24 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 25 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
Compelling Roman & Medieval Historic Sites in the Netherlands?