I've done it and booked my KLM flight from Montreal-Amsterdam this June. My guide book has such a multidimensional focus that I'm having trouble picking out an area of interest... Roman & medieval history. I loved visiting Bath (Aquae Sulis), St. Albans (Verulamium) and Colchester (Camulodunum) for the Roman history, as well as Winchester Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and even a Medieval Merchant's House in Southampton in the UK for the sense of being transported back to that period and getting a sense of the different mores.
I'll be honest with you... I'm quite poorly informed... I even had to look it up to see on Wikipedia whether Holland was actually held by the Romans or the Germanic "barbarians" during the times of the Roman Empire (and I'm still not sure, seems perhaps divided?).
If you have some favorite (doesn't have to be grand, still standing but authentic is interesting to me!) spots in Holland for this, let me know! (I'll be staying in Haarlem, other than planning to go to Amsterdam a few times and Den Haag once during my 10 day stay, I've not plotted much out yet.)
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 2 Transportation from Brno train station
- 3 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 4 Budapest & Prague
- 5 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 6 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 7 Swiss Travel Pass
- 8 Need Info - Vienna, Prague, Venice, Geneva, Paris,
- 9 10 days in Paris and......
- 10 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 11 Milan to Switzerland for skiing
- 12 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 13 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 14 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 15 Paris day trips August
- 16 Spain in July
- 17 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 18 Petrol in Greece
- 19 Where to enjoy Paris
- 20 Acorn TV
- 21 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 22 Athens
- 23 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 24 Wimbledon Debenture tickets
- 25 Rare Curiosity-Piquing Photos From Rome + Thank You
Compelling Roman & Medieval Historic Sites in the Netherlands?