I've done it and booked my KLM flight from Montreal-Amsterdam this June. My guide book has such a multidimensional focus that I'm having trouble picking out an area of interest... Roman & medieval history. I loved visiting Bath (Aquae Sulis), St. Albans (Verulamium) and Colchester (Camulodunum) for the Roman history, as well as Winchester Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and even a Medieval Merchant's House in Southampton in the UK for the sense of being transported back to that period and getting a sense of the different mores.
I'll be honest with you... I'm quite poorly informed... I even had to look it up to see on Wikipedia whether Holland was actually held by the Romans or the Germanic "barbarians" during the times of the Roman Empire (and I'm still not sure, seems perhaps divided?).
If you have some favorite (doesn't have to be grand, still standing but authentic is interesting to me!) spots in Holland for this, let me know! (I'll be staying in Haarlem, other than planning to go to Amsterdam a few times and Den Haag once during my 10 day stay, I've not plotted much out yet.)
Best wishes, Daniel
Compelling Roman & Medieval Historic Sites in the Netherlands?
- 1 2 Week European Itinerary
- 2 Germany with our 2 girls....help with itinerary
- 3 TGV and Provence questions
- 4 On TCM on 4/28/06 Cinema Paradiso
- 5 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 6 Car in Prague
- 7 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 8 River Cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 9 Istanbul hotels
- 10 Driving Slovenia & Noerthern Croatia
- 11 Barcelona - Hotel Help
- 12 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 13 Rome Accommodation
- 14 To Paris and Provence in June
- 15 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 16 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 17 Suggestion for car service from DeGaulle to apartment in Paris?
- 18 Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)
- 19 Advice on 10-14 days family trip Paris-Amsterdam-Italy
- 20 Family European winter holiday
- 21 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 22 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 23 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 24 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 25 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie