I've done it and booked my KLM flight from Montreal-Amsterdam this June. My guide book has such a multidimensional focus that I'm having trouble picking out an area of interest... Roman & medieval history. I loved visiting Bath (Aquae Sulis), St. Albans (Verulamium) and Colchester (Camulodunum) for the Roman history, as well as Winchester Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and even a Medieval Merchant's House in Southampton in the UK for the sense of being transported back to that period and getting a sense of the different mores.
I'll be honest with you... I'm quite poorly informed... I even had to look it up to see on Wikipedia whether Holland was actually held by the Romans or the Germanic "barbarians" during the times of the Roman Empire (and I'm still not sure, seems perhaps divided?).
If you have some favorite (doesn't have to be grand, still standing but authentic is interesting to me!) spots in Holland for this, let me know! (I'll be staying in Haarlem, other than planning to go to Amsterdam a few times and Den Haag once during my 10 day stay, I've not plotted much out yet.)
Best wishes, Daniel
Compelling Roman & Medieval Historic Sites in the Netherlands?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 2 May in southern Italy--Sorrento/Capri and Puglia
- 3 Venice - boats on canals
- 4 ITALY
- 5 Frankfurt Airport: 2 hours from touchdown to train. Go for it???
- 6 Paris first then where?
- 7 Forma Urbis Fragments in Capitoline Museum?
- 8 Maitaitom & Tracy's Romantic 20th Anniversary Paris 2014 Trip In September
- 9 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 10 Recommendation for a wine tour departing from Strasbourg.
- 11 Which to fly into....Milan or Rome?
- 12 Looking for a month long vacation rental in France
- 13 Turkey 2015-Happy B-day to Me
- 14 Akrotiri Tours
- 15 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 16 Americans travel to Russia. Is it safe?
- 17 Which area in Venice for 3 nights
- 18 Switzerland--how is rain impacting hiking in engadines? sils maria?
- 19 Regensburg or Cesky Krumlov for Two Nights
- 20 Mosel Valley Base - NOT Rhine Valley Base
- 21 Dresden: 6 nights too many?
- 22 Sorrento - 2.5 days itinerary help
- 23 Northern Spain
- 24 Amsterdam: arriving 8/25 to depart on 8/30 Rhine river cruise
- 25 London hotel tax is 20%