I've done it and booked my KLM flight from Montreal-Amsterdam this June. My guide book has such a multidimensional focus that I'm having trouble picking out an area of interest... Roman & medieval history. I loved visiting Bath (Aquae Sulis), St. Albans (Verulamium) and Colchester (Camulodunum) for the Roman history, as well as Winchester Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and even a Medieval Merchant's House in Southampton in the UK for the sense of being transported back to that period and getting a sense of the different mores.
I'll be honest with you... I'm quite poorly informed... I even had to look it up to see on Wikipedia whether Holland was actually held by the Romans or the Germanic "barbarians" during the times of the Roman Empire (and I'm still not sure, seems perhaps divided?).
If you have some favorite (doesn't have to be grand, still standing but authentic is interesting to me!) spots in Holland for this, let me know! (I'll be staying in Haarlem, other than planning to go to Amsterdam a few times and Den Haag once during my 10 day stay, I've not plotted much out yet.)
Best wishes, Daniel
Compelling Roman & Medieval Historic Sites in the Netherlands?
- 1 "Our Small Adventure" an Ongoing Paris Trip Report
- 2 Germany and Italy
- 3 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 4 Berchtesgaden & Salzburg
- 5 Car rental
- 6 Essen and Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 7 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 8 Which tour company would be best?
- 9 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 10 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 11 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 12 Club Quarters near Trafalgar Square
- 13 Please, assure me that Turkey is safe...
- 14 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 15 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 16 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome
- 17 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 18 Train tickets - Venice to Florence to Rome
- 19 Barcelona + Venice Honeymoon in June
- 20 London at Xmas
- 21 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 22 See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 23 Travel to Italy with kids...where to stay
- 24 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 25 BRITISH ISLES---GLOBUS TOURS