I've done it and booked my KLM flight from Montreal-Amsterdam this June. My guide book has such a multidimensional focus that I'm having trouble picking out an area of interest... Roman & medieval history. I loved visiting Bath (Aquae Sulis), St. Albans (Verulamium) and Colchester (Camulodunum) for the Roman history, as well as Winchester Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral and even a Medieval Merchant's House in Southampton in the UK for the sense of being transported back to that period and getting a sense of the different mores.
I'll be honest with you... I'm quite poorly informed... I even had to look it up to see on Wikipedia whether Holland was actually held by the Romans or the Germanic "barbarians" during the times of the Roman Empire (and I'm still not sure, seems perhaps divided?).
If you have some favorite (doesn't have to be grand, still standing but authentic is interesting to me!) spots in Holland for this, let me know! (I'll be staying in Haarlem, other than planning to go to Amsterdam a few times and Den Haag once during my 10 day stay, I've not plotted much out yet.)
Best wishes, Daniel
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 2 Christmas in London (& Paris)
- 3 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 4 Paris Under Seige...
- 5 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 6 Need Help with Locations of Naples Apartments
- 7 Rue des Rosiers
- 8 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 9 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 10 Hamam Istanbul?
- 11 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 12 Belgium : a asfe country
- 13 sfo to europe
- 14 Last min prep for Krakow - Questions
- 15 Italy with my 22 year old son
- 16 Seeking Croatia/Slovenia planning assistance
- 17 Do i need a Swiss Half-fare travelcard?
- 18 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 19 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 20 Cinque Terre Hiking Trails?
- 21 Advices about our itiniary
- 22 Car Rental in Italy
- 23 Honeymoon in Greece & Norway April/May 2016
- 24 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 25 Italian Riviera
Compelling Roman & Medieval Historic Sites in the Netherlands?