For knowing ‘urban’ Poland so well, I have never visited its 2 biggest cities, Warsaw and Lódz respectively. As the capital of an increasingly impressive European state, I hear that Warsaw is being cleaned up and is becoming more upbeat every year. Nevertheless, considering its history with WWII bombardment, my question is: “Has enough of Warsaw been restored or at least authentically recreated to give the city an overall beautiful appearance?” I ask because I have seen gorgeous places in Poland like Krakow, Lublin, Torun, Gdansk and Poznan (I’ve been to Wroclaw too). I do not know whether Warsaw will keep me smiling or whether it is not really on par with the great tourist destinations I did visit already.
Otherwise, I have a very similar question for Lódz. I know very little about this city, other than this ‘Manchester of Poland’ is known for its industrial architecture. Again, compared to the likes of Krakow, Lublin, Torun, Gdansk and Poznan, do you personally think Lódz is anything worth going out of your way to see or ‘only if you are in the area’? Thanks for your opinions, which I welcome plenty of!
Comparing Lódz&Warsaw to Tourist Favorites like Krakow, Gdansk, Poznan..
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions
- 2 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 3 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 4 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 5 Arc de Triumph Question
- 6 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 7 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 8 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 9 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 10 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 11 Printing Paris Bus Routes --Kerouac, others?
- 12 Tivoli Gardens - any special place for birthday dinner
- 13 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 14 What to wear
- 15 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 16 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 17 Paris November 2014
- 18 Nice, Avignon, St Remy and Toulouse trip report.
- 19 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 20 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 21 Traveling in France by train
- 22 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 23 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 24 3 night stopover in Iceland - need suggestions
- 25 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?