We are driving across to the Netherlands at the end of May. My husband will be driving and I am navigating (although we have Sat Nav in the car). and he loves driving in mainland Europe. We are looking for areas of natural beauty, interesting insights into the country's history and (when not driving) some tasty beer! Any comments and advice are welcome!
Day 1 Ferry crossing Dover – Calais. Drive to near Leper, stay overnight at Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe. (3 hours to Dover plus another couple of hours in France/Belgium)
Day 2 Drive to Nieuwersluis (between Utrecht and Amsterdam) stay 4 nights at Landhuis Logies Ouderhoek. Best route for a pleasant drive of up to 8 hours including stops?
Day 3 Amsterdam. We will drive 15/20 min. to one of the Park and Rides on the outskirts – either ArenA or Gaasperplas(does anyone have any advice as to which is the better?). Walking tour of the canals, boat trip and maybe a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
Day 4 Car tour around the former Zuiderzee, crossing over the Afsluitdijk. Would the Zuiderzee Museum be worth the time and cost, or is it too child orientated? We will probably stop in Edam, Workum and possibly visit The Batavia and the Nieuw Land Museum at Lelystad.
Day 5 very open. Choice depends on weather, inclination or just what is open on a Sunday! Could be another day in Amsterdam (depends on how much M enjoys it on the Friday!) or just explore locally or drive along the flower route. Alternatively we could go to Het Lo and/or the Kroller Muller Museum and Arnhem. Any comments on these alternatives?
Day 6 drive back to Calais to catch ferry at 18.00. This will probably be a drive straight down to France so we can spend a little time south of Calais as we love the coast around there.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 2 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 3 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 4 Restaurants near Cortina, Italy
- 5 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 6 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 7 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 8 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 9 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 10 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 11 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 12 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 13 Scotland in December
- 14 10 days in London in early December
- 15 Iceland
- 16 Greece
- 17 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 18 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 19 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 20 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 21 Berlin to ?
- 22 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 23 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 24 tickets for Wimbledon
- 25 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living