We are driving across to the Netherlands at the end of May. My husband will be driving and I am navigating (although we have Sat Nav in the car). and he loves driving in mainland Europe. We are looking for areas of natural beauty, interesting insights into the country's history and (when not driving) some tasty beer! Any comments and advice are welcome!
Day 1 Ferry crossing Dover – Calais. Drive to near Leper, stay overnight at Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe. (3 hours to Dover plus another couple of hours in France/Belgium)
Day 2 Drive to Nieuwersluis (between Utrecht and Amsterdam) stay 4 nights at Landhuis Logies Ouderhoek. Best route for a pleasant drive of up to 8 hours including stops?
Day 3 Amsterdam. We will drive 15/20 min. to one of the Park and Rides on the outskirts – either ArenA or Gaasperplas(does anyone have any advice as to which is the better?). Walking tour of the canals, boat trip and maybe a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
Day 4 Car tour around the former Zuiderzee, crossing over the Afsluitdijk. Would the Zuiderzee Museum be worth the time and cost, or is it too child orientated? We will probably stop in Edam, Workum and possibly visit The Batavia and the Nieuw Land Museum at Lelystad.
Day 5 very open. Choice depends on weather, inclination or just what is open on a Sunday! Could be another day in Amsterdam (depends on how much M enjoys it on the Friday!) or just explore locally or drive along the flower route. Alternatively we could go to Het Lo and/or the Kroller Muller Museum and Arnhem. Any comments on these alternatives?
Day 6 drive back to Calais to catch ferry at 18.00. This will probably be a drive straight down to France so we can spend a little time south of Calais as we love the coast around there.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://brainammofacts.com/staminon/
- 2 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 3 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 4 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 5 Berlin / Cologne / Rothenburg / Neuschwanstein
- 6 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 7 cheap balloon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey?
- 8 To europe this Aug
- 9 Are Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Rides Cold ?
- 10 Lagos Walking Tour
- 11 Which ballooning company should we use in Cappadocia?
- 12 http://www.piratetoyshop.com/max-gain-xtreme/
- 13 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 14 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 15 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 16 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 17 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 18 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 19 want to use Iphone in UK and Italy
- 20 HOTEL IN STOCKHOLM
- 21 http://megacleanseradvice.com/io-boost-reviews/
- 22 DO NOT USE GO TODAY.COM!
- 23 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 24 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 25 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?