We are driving across to the Netherlands at the end of May. My husband will be driving and I am navigating (although we have Sat Nav in the car). and he loves driving in mainland Europe. We are looking for areas of natural beauty, interesting insights into the country's history and (when not driving) some tasty beer! Any comments and advice are welcome!
Day 1 Ferry crossing Dover – Calais. Drive to near Leper, stay overnight at Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe. (3 hours to Dover plus another couple of hours in France/Belgium)
Day 2 Drive to Nieuwersluis (between Utrecht and Amsterdam) stay 4 nights at Landhuis Logies Ouderhoek. Best route for a pleasant drive of up to 8 hours including stops?
Day 3 Amsterdam. We will drive 15/20 min. to one of the Park and Rides on the outskirts – either ArenA or Gaasperplas(does anyone have any advice as to which is the better?). Walking tour of the canals, boat trip and maybe a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
Day 4 Car tour around the former Zuiderzee, crossing over the Afsluitdijk. Would the Zuiderzee Museum be worth the time and cost, or is it too child orientated? We will probably stop in Edam, Workum and possibly visit The Batavia and the Nieuw Land Museum at Lelystad.
Day 5 very open. Choice depends on weather, inclination or just what is open on a Sunday! Could be another day in Amsterdam (depends on how much M enjoys it on the Friday!) or just explore locally or drive along the flower route. Alternatively we could go to Het Lo and/or the Kroller Muller Museum and Arnhem. Any comments on these alternatives?
Day 6 drive back to Calais to catch ferry at 18.00. This will probably be a drive straight down to France so we can spend a little time south of Calais as we love the coast around there.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Car rental leaving Rome
- 2 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 3 Christmas Market and Parking
- 4 Naxos hotels? has anyone stayed at Finikas?
- 5 Paris Under Seige...
- 6 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 7 London Travelcard vs oyster card
- 8 Solvenia to Venice stops on the way
- 9 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 10 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 11 Advices about our itiniary
- 12 Amsterdam - Germanyin mid April
- 13 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 14 Lisbon Portugal to Madrid Spain in January
- 15 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 16 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 17 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 18 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?
- 19 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 20 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 21 Stroller in Europe
- 22 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 23 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 24 Best company/Tour for one day Amalfi Coast from Rome
- 25 NEED HELP PLANNING SPAIN ITINERARY