We are driving across to the Netherlands at the end of May. My husband will be driving and I am navigating (although we have Sat Nav in the car). and he loves driving in mainland Europe. We are looking for areas of natural beauty, interesting insights into the country's history and (when not driving) some tasty beer! Any comments and advice are welcome!
Day 1 Ferry crossing Dover – Calais. Drive to near Leper, stay overnight at Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe. (3 hours to Dover plus another couple of hours in France/Belgium)
Day 2 Drive to Nieuwersluis (between Utrecht and Amsterdam) stay 4 nights at Landhuis Logies Ouderhoek. Best route for a pleasant drive of up to 8 hours including stops?
Day 3 Amsterdam. We will drive 15/20 min. to one of the Park and Rides on the outskirts – either ArenA or Gaasperplas(does anyone have any advice as to which is the better?). Walking tour of the canals, boat trip and maybe a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
Day 4 Car tour around the former Zuiderzee, crossing over the Afsluitdijk. Would the Zuiderzee Museum be worth the time and cost, or is it too child orientated? We will probably stop in Edam, Workum and possibly visit The Batavia and the Nieuw Land Museum at Lelystad.
Day 5 very open. Choice depends on weather, inclination or just what is open on a Sunday! Could be another day in Amsterdam (depends on how much M enjoys it on the Friday!) or just explore locally or drive along the flower route. Alternatively we could go to Het Lo and/or the Kroller Muller Museum and Arnhem. Any comments on these alternatives?
Day 6 drive back to Calais to catch ferry at 18.00. This will probably be a drive straight down to France so we can spend a little time south of Calais as we love the coast around there.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 2 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 3 European Cooking Secrets
- 4 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 5 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 6 London tour and theatre ideas
- 7 BEWARE of EUROCAR
- 8 England and Wales by public transport
- 9 Italy's central lakes!
- 10 CDG much improved
- 11 Travel vs. Babies
- 12 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 13 Paris with Layover in Munich. Can we leave the airport?
- 14 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 15 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 16 Rome, Florence and a cruise this fall
- 17 Travel help
- 18 10 days Ireland June 30-July 11th, 2017
- 19 20 Days in Europe
- 20 Live music or Theater over Christmas and New Years?
- 21 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 22 Europe in late January
- 23 Need suggestions for musical Events in Rome
- 24 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 25 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan