We are driving across to the Netherlands at the end of May. My husband will be driving and I am navigating (although we have Sat Nav in the car). and he loves driving in mainland Europe. We are looking for areas of natural beauty, interesting insights into the country's history and (when not driving) some tasty beer! Any comments and advice are welcome!
Day 1 Ferry crossing Dover – Calais. Drive to near Leper, stay overnight at Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe. (3 hours to Dover plus another couple of hours in France/Belgium)
Day 2 Drive to Nieuwersluis (between Utrecht and Amsterdam) stay 4 nights at Landhuis Logies Ouderhoek. Best route for a pleasant drive of up to 8 hours including stops?
Day 3 Amsterdam. We will drive 15/20 min. to one of the Park and Rides on the outskirts – either ArenA or Gaasperplas(does anyone have any advice as to which is the better?). Walking tour of the canals, boat trip and maybe a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
Day 4 Car tour around the former Zuiderzee, crossing over the Afsluitdijk. Would the Zuiderzee Museum be worth the time and cost, or is it too child orientated? We will probably stop in Edam, Workum and possibly visit The Batavia and the Nieuw Land Museum at Lelystad.
Day 5 very open. Choice depends on weather, inclination or just what is open on a Sunday! Could be another day in Amsterdam (depends on how much M enjoys it on the Friday!) or just explore locally or drive along the flower route. Alternatively we could go to Het Lo and/or the Kroller Muller Museum and Arnhem. Any comments on these alternatives?
Day 6 drive back to Calais to catch ferry at 18.00. This will probably be a drive straight down to France so we can spend a little time south of Calais as we love the coast around there.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How many nights in Lucerne, how many in Lauterbrunnen?
- 2 US to Toulouse, connecting through Gatwick - how much connection time?
- 3 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 4 Airport Transfer Vienna
- 5 Need accommodation advice for staying in central London
- 6 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 7 An afternoon in Geiranger
- 8 What clothes?
- 9 What is the French job 'Rectifieur (ouvrier)'?
- 10 tipping
- 11 First Time Visit to UK - 3 Weeks Itinerary Help
- 12 Where to sleep in Manchester?
- 13 Where to stay in lavender country in Provence?
- 14 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 15 Before & after Dolomites trip
- 16 Isle Sur-la-Sorgue Thursday
- 17 Edinburgh Conference Centre, Riccarton -- nearby hotels?
- 18 Advice about Naples?
- 19 Eurail or Direct tickets?
- 20 I need suggestion on where to stay in Port Alcudia
- 21 Norway night train questions for Norway in a nutshell
- 22 Lavender country Provence hotel
- 23 Quick 13 day Italy trip
- 24 Oslo airport to hotel
- 25 Paris and Lyon