We are driving across to the Netherlands at the end of May. My husband will be driving and I am navigating (although we have Sat Nav in the car). and he loves driving in mainland Europe. We are looking for areas of natural beauty, interesting insights into the country's history and (when not driving) some tasty beer! Any comments and advice are welcome!
Day 1 Ferry crossing Dover – Calais. Drive to near Leper, stay overnight at Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe. (3 hours to Dover plus another couple of hours in France/Belgium)
Day 2 Drive to Nieuwersluis (between Utrecht and Amsterdam) stay 4 nights at Landhuis Logies Ouderhoek. Best route for a pleasant drive of up to 8 hours including stops?
Day 3 Amsterdam. We will drive 15/20 min. to one of the Park and Rides on the outskirts – either ArenA or Gaasperplas(does anyone have any advice as to which is the better?). Walking tour of the canals, boat trip and maybe a visit to the Rijksmuseum.
Day 4 Car tour around the former Zuiderzee, crossing over the Afsluitdijk. Would the Zuiderzee Museum be worth the time and cost, or is it too child orientated? We will probably stop in Edam, Workum and possibly visit The Batavia and the Nieuw Land Museum at Lelystad.
Day 5 very open. Choice depends on weather, inclination or just what is open on a Sunday! Could be another day in Amsterdam (depends on how much M enjoys it on the Friday!) or just explore locally or drive along the flower route. Alternatively we could go to Het Lo and/or the Kroller Muller Museum and Arnhem. Any comments on these alternatives?
Day 6 drive back to Calais to catch ferry at 18.00. This will probably be a drive straight down to France so we can spend a little time south of Calais as we love the coast around there.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 2 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 3 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 4 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 5 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 6 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 7 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 8 Where to buy Saffron?
- 9 English Countryside
- 10 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 11 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 12 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 13 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 14 Super Cover For Hertz
- 15 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 16 4 days itinerary for France
- 17 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 18 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 19 Is it worth it to drive into Positano...& Amalfi Coast by land or sea?
- 20 When to Visit Scotland
- 21 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 22 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 23 House Hunting in France
- 24 Itinerary Tweaking
- 25 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?