My husband and I will be in Venice for three days in the end of May, 2017 for our 20th anniversary. (First trip to Venice.) We're looking at a couple of Air BnB's in a couple of different sestieri. We would like to be a bit away from the heavy tourist areas, but also have a great selection of restaurants who offer great food, romance and more reasonable pricing than the touristy areas. Of course, we realize we can get to just about anything fairly easily. We also want to take into consideration that we will be traveling to Venice via Tuscany (Montici) and leaving out of Marco Polo airport at the end of our stay. (Not sure yet what method of transportation we will be using from Montici. That's another topic.)
Here are the two apartments we are considering at this point:
We like the first because it's elegant, beautiful, seems to be in a pretty/romantic/quieter/interesting sestiere and the price looks very reasonable at the time we're going (about $148 per night including tax and fees). That being said, it has no view, according to reviews, and we will have to walk up 3 flights of stairs with two sets of heavy luggage (we'll be gone almost 3 weeks).
We like the second one because it's beautiful, seems to be in a good location, has only one flight of stairs and it has two balconies and a terrace. Although the price is more than we want to pay at the time we're going (about $180 per night including tax and fees), we're willing to spend it if we feel like it's worth the extra expense.
When we see pictures of Cannaregio (where the second one is located), it looks more industrial and not-so-pretty. Whereas, Castello (where the first one is located) looks so pretty and quaint. But these are all just pictures and I know you all can give me recommendations based on your experiences.
We're in our mid-50's, still love romance, love great food and wine (and perhaps a cocktail after dinner). Can anyone help to sway us towards one apartment/sestiere or the other? If you need more info, please ask.
Thank you for your kindness and time.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland, Ireland, Teenagers and road tripping, 2018
- 2 Central London indoor swimming locations
- 3 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 4 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 5 Train travel
- 6 Spain to Jerez for Horse Show
- 7 WWI Battlefields
- 8 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 9 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 10 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 11 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 12 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 13 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 14 Iceland 3 day layover
- 15 hotels in Reyjkavik
- 16 Athens, Greece to Venice...maybe my favorite trip yet?
- 17 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 18 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 19 Milos beach stay
- 20 Paris to Bordeaux
- 21 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 22 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 23 Florence To Paris Via Overnight Train?
- 24 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 25 2 Weeks in Switzerland w/kids?