I´d like some input on my Rome itinerary. We are a family of 4: two adults and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. First time for the kids in Rome. We are not early risers, we can manage to be out of the hotel by 9:30am but not before that . My husband doesn’t like to walk at all, my kids and I do fine with long walks. My kids are really interested in visiting the Colloseum and Forum, Trevi fountain, and extremely excited about going to Pompeii. My husband and I want to do the Vatican, museums and Sistine Chapel, Pantheon, and Capitoline museums.
The itinerary is not set in stone, we will see how each day goes, how is the weather, and how tired we feel. The trip from our country until we arrive in Rome is going to take almost 20 hours not counting our airport-hotel transfer. We want to do a lot, but realize that if it is not possible then we will just have to save it for some other trip. We are going to be there on the last week in October since we are taking a cruise on the 30th.
After a lot of planning, research and reading your posts and a few web sites about Rome with kids, here is how my trip looks now.
Day 1 Wednesday 26th Arrive in Rome at 6:00pm. Go to hotel to rest. We will be staying near the Pantheon.
Day 2 Morning: Colosseum, Palatine, Forum
Afternoon: elevator to the top of the Vittoriano, campidoglio and Capitoline museums.
Day 3 Morning: Vatican museums, Sistine chapel, St Peter’s
Afternoon: Castel Sant’Angelo, and Ponte Sant’Angelo
Day 4 Morning: Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Sta Maria Sopra Minerva, Trevi fountain
Afternoon: Sta Maria della Concezione, Piazza di Spagna, Via Condotti
Day 5-12 Cruise
Day 12 Leave the ship at 9:00am
Thinking about doing the hop on bus, or visit Trastevere, or doing something that was left undone from the previous days. (Suggestions are welcome)
Day 13 Day trip to Pompeii and Naples
Day 14 Fly back home
We don´t plan on staying at the museums longer than 2 hours, I´m doing a bit of research to see which are the must sees so we don´t stay too long, since we don’t know how well the kids will handle the museums.
For lunches I searched for kid friendly restaurants, my kids love pasta and pizza so I guess they will enjoy their meals a lot.
I´ve also looked for a few gelato places like Tre Scalini and Old Bridge that are near the places we will be visiting.
I would also like to visit St Pietro in Vincoli but don´t know when. Or if I should just leave it.
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Comments and suggestions on my Rome itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Family trip to France with kids
- 2 Which is better for the summer - Black or Baltic Sea?
- 3 Use of pre-booked non-PREMS tickets on French trains
- 4 Where to stay in London
- 5 13 Day Trip to Italy
- 6 Cappadocia Cave hotel suggestion
- 7 Hotel Belvedere Bellagio or Royal Victoria in Lake Como for May trip
- 8 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 9 Amsterdam B&B -- Tulipa -- Feedback Wanted
- 10 Vienna and Prague or Venice/Sienna/Rome for honeymoon?
- 11 10 Days in Switzerland
- 12 Time to get lowest airfare to Norway
- 13 where to stay in Lake Como in mid-May?
- 14 Iceland Trekking/Camping
- 15 Family travel to Paris and Alps
- 16 A week in spain
- 17 Paris on Palm Sunday and Easter
- 18 25 days in Europe
- 19 Restaurant Recommendations - Pula or Rovinj
- 20 Croatia and Montenegro for 8 days
- 21 ought to to perform your co
- 22 Backpacking Europe (3-4 Weeks)
- 23 Paris Shopping - stationery, linens, hats, kitchen stuff
- 24 Mediterranean Vacation - Transportation
- 25 One night somewhere between Zurich and Geneva