I´d like some input on my Rome itinerary. We are a family of 4: two adults and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. First time for the kids in Rome. We are not early risers, we can manage to be out of the hotel by 9:30am but not before that . My husband doesn’t like to walk at all, my kids and I do fine with long walks. My kids are really interested in visiting the Colloseum and Forum, Trevi fountain, and extremely excited about going to Pompeii. My husband and I want to do the Vatican, museums and Sistine Chapel, Pantheon, and Capitoline museums.
The itinerary is not set in stone, we will see how each day goes, how is the weather, and how tired we feel. The trip from our country until we arrive in Rome is going to take almost 20 hours not counting our airport-hotel transfer. We want to do a lot, but realize that if it is not possible then we will just have to save it for some other trip. We are going to be there on the last week in October since we are taking a cruise on the 30th.
After a lot of planning, research and reading your posts and a few web sites about Rome with kids, here is how my trip looks now.
Day 1 Wednesday 26th Arrive in Rome at 6:00pm. Go to hotel to rest. We will be staying near the Pantheon.
Day 2 Morning: Colosseum, Palatine, Forum
Afternoon: elevator to the top of the Vittoriano, campidoglio and Capitoline museums.
Day 3 Morning: Vatican museums, Sistine chapel, St Peter’s
Afternoon: Castel Sant’Angelo, and Ponte Sant’Angelo
Day 4 Morning: Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Sta Maria Sopra Minerva, Trevi fountain
Afternoon: Sta Maria della Concezione, Piazza di Spagna, Via Condotti
Day 5-12 Cruise
Day 12 Leave the ship at 9:00am
Thinking about doing the hop on bus, or visit Trastevere, or doing something that was left undone from the previous days. (Suggestions are welcome)
Day 13 Day trip to Pompeii and Naples
Day 14 Fly back home
We don´t plan on staying at the museums longer than 2 hours, I´m doing a bit of research to see which are the must sees so we don´t stay too long, since we don’t know how well the kids will handle the museums.
For lunches I searched for kid friendly restaurants, my kids love pasta and pizza so I guess they will enjoy their meals a lot.
I´ve also looked for a few gelato places like Tre Scalini and Old Bridge that are near the places we will be visiting.
I would also like to visit St Pietro in Vincoli but don´t know when. Or if I should just leave it.
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 2 So glad we went to Greece (and London always)
- 3 Please Help! Europe in 5 days!
- 4 Need help with logistics for visit to Dordogne area, please.
- 5 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 6 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 7 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 8 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 9 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 10 Swiss Burial/Grave Customs - ?
- 11 Rome & Florence, 10-12 days or so
- 12 Please help with Itinerary draft for 29 days in France
- 13 Croatia in 16 days
- 14 Day trips to Florence, Venice - Any Recommended Tour Companies
- 15 Stay away from EF Tours
- 16 Amalfi Coast with Kids- Where to stay?
- 17 Yummy Swiss bites
- 18 Strike - again in France Tomorrow
- 19 3 Wake-up calls
- 20 Lazing it in Lisbon; Notes and Rambling Thoughts from and Extended Stay
- 21 Switzerland in 8 days
- 22 Rome to Sicily/Lipari September fly/boat???
- 23 venice/slovenia/croatia
- 24 Taxis G7: need help in creating account
- 25 EU Roaming charges / SIM card