I am trying to decide on the best town to choose as a base to explore the coastal area of Languedoc. Ideally we will visit Carcassone and possibly a town in nearby Spain. We have been to Collioure and really liked. We stayed for 2 nights in early June a few years ago. It has everything we are looking for including a charming town, good restaurants, seaside location and a decent enough beach. We travel to Florida and the Caribbean, so I do not need the beach to be the main reason for this trip. Since we are planning a summer trip and need accommodation for 4 adults and 4 kids, I am not sure if Collioure is the best choice. I know the crowds are awful in July and August. Ideally, we would like to rent a house within walking distance to the town and beach. We will rent a car but don't want to need it every day. We are also open to using a train to get to nearby towns/sights. Some suggestions I have been given are Banyuls sur Mer, Leucate and Franqui. All of these places look appealing for one reason or another. However, is there a reason we shouldn't just go back to Collioure instead?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 7 weeks Europe with toddler - Itinerary advice
- 2 Need Accommodation in Versailles
- 3 Looking for add on city
- 4 MXP Best Western to "The Last Supper"
- 5 Car rental Questions for Italy
- 6 non-touristy in Umbria or Tuscany?
- 7 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 8 Hiking in the Pyrenees - day trip from Barcelona, no car
- 9 Budapest to Bucharest (2 week trip)
- 10 Wedding In Positano Italy Sept 2014- NEED YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS
- 11 Moscow: Eat, Explore, Experience
- 12 Capri and Amalfi self-catering accommodation for 2
- 13 Taxi service in Nice
- 14 Berlin Trip Report
- 15 A1 to A12 vs. A14: Which is the easier drive from Sulmona to Mondovi?
- 16 2 month backpacking though europe
- 17 1st time in Spain w/ 3 Children 8years and under - Help with itinery please
- 18 Traveling to Bordeaux
- 19 Preparing for our European Family Trip
- 20 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 21 Peugeot 107--will my luggage be visible?
- 22 Conference trip to Netherlands; help me plan free time afterward
- 23 Beach along The Seine in Paris
- 24 Paris and South Of France/Possibly Cinque Terre
- 25 Which hotel in Lisbon?