I am trying to decide on the best town to choose as a base to explore the coastal area of Languedoc. Ideally we will visit Carcassone and possibly a town in nearby Spain. We have been to Collioure and really liked. We stayed for 2 nights in early June a few years ago. It has everything we are looking for including a charming town, good restaurants, seaside location and a decent enough beach. We travel to Florida and the Caribbean, so I do not need the beach to be the main reason for this trip. Since we are planning a summer trip and need accommodation for 4 adults and 4 kids, I am not sure if Collioure is the best choice. I know the crowds are awful in July and August. Ideally, we would like to rent a house within walking distance to the town and beach. We will rent a car but don't want to need it every day. We are also open to using a train to get to nearby towns/sights. Some suggestions I have been given are Banyuls sur Mer, Leucate and Franqui. All of these places look appealing for one reason or another. However, is there a reason we shouldn't just go back to Collioure instead?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Warsaw for the week-end / language question
- 2 Solo trip to Sicily in December
- 3 Chip and Pin
- 4 France: which maps?
- 5 first family trip to Switzerland
- 6 Where to go for 3 nights in northern Italy
- 7 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 8 I was (partially) wrong about debit cards vs. cash
- 9 Car vs Train in Switzerland
- 10 Finalizing plans for September trip - is this doable
- 11 German Rail Pass Questions
- 12 Train from Frankfurt to Madrid
- 13 Greece Travel Planning for 2015
- 14 Ghent or Paris?
- 15 England in November - Comments on Itinerary?
- 16 Venice - boats on canals
- 17 Good Paris Self-guided Walking Tour Book?
- 18 Guidance and help for Europe trip by train.
- 19 What Bus/buses
- 20 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 21 Flat in London -- South Lambeth or Paddington?
- 22 Mum's been to Iceland, or "round Iceland with a cucumber"
- 23 How do you organize yourself on vacation?
- 24 Barcelona December 26, 2014 thru January 1, 2015
- 25 Your favorite restaurants in Milan, please