I am trying to decide on the best town to choose as a base to explore the coastal area of Languedoc. Ideally we will visit Carcassone and possibly a town in nearby Spain. We have been to Collioure and really liked. We stayed for 2 nights in early June a few years ago. It has everything we are looking for including a charming town, good restaurants, seaside location and a decent enough beach. We travel to Florida and the Caribbean, so I do not need the beach to be the main reason for this trip. Since we are planning a summer trip and need accommodation for 4 adults and 4 kids, I am not sure if Collioure is the best choice. I know the crowds are awful in July and August. Ideally, we would like to rent a house within walking distance to the town and beach. We will rent a car but don't want to need it every day. We are also open to using a train to get to nearby towns/sights. Some suggestions I have been given are Banyuls sur Mer, Leucate and Franqui. All of these places look appealing for one reason or another. However, is there a reason we shouldn't just go back to Collioure instead?
View all Europe activity »
- 1 One more week hardly in Paris: still wandering the Ile de France
- 2 USING THE METRO FROM AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV TO Place d'Italie
- 3 Suggestion for car service from DeGaulle to apartment in Paris?
- 4 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 5 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 6 Family European winter holiday
- 7 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 8 2 Week European Itinerary
- 9 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 10 El Rocio festival, Huelva
- 11 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna
- 12 Rome Accommodation
- 13 First time Golfing in Ireland
- 14 Vaporetti Schedules in Venice (and how passes work!?)
- 15 Where to stop on Italy's west coast
- 16 Italian Lakes gardens
- 17 Travelling with Alitalia. MIA-FCO-AOI Carry-on or Check-in baggage?
- 18 Dresden Train Station
- 19 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 20 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 21 London for Christmas
- 22 Amsterdam: Alcoholics Cleaning Streets to Get Free Booze!
- 23 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 24 Waltz performances in Stadtpark Vienna
- 25 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"