I am trying to decide on the best town to choose as a base to explore the coastal area of Languedoc. Ideally we will visit Carcassone and possibly a town in nearby Spain. We have been to Collioure and really liked. We stayed for 2 nights in early June a few years ago. It has everything we are looking for including a charming town, good restaurants, seaside location and a decent enough beach. We travel to Florida and the Caribbean, so I do not need the beach to be the main reason for this trip. Since we are planning a summer trip and need accommodation for 4 adults and 4 kids, I am not sure if Collioure is the best choice. I know the crowds are awful in July and August. Ideally, we would like to rent a house within walking distance to the town and beach. We will rent a car but don't want to need it every day. We are also open to using a train to get to nearby towns/sights. Some suggestions I have been given are Banyuls sur Mer, Leucate and Franqui. All of these places look appealing for one reason or another. However, is there a reason we shouldn't just go back to Collioure instead?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Secure parking in Tarifa, Spain
- 2 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 3 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 4 Where to leave luggage while touring Amsterdam for 10 hours
- 5 Cotswolds village base
- 6 Crete Chania and the Libyan Sea villages
- 7 Portugal end of August - Barcelos - clothing?
- 8 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 9 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 10 Should I book train tickets before I arrive in Switzerland ?
- 11 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 12 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 13 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 14 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 15 Does this itinerary work and make sense? Help!
- 16 Netherlands Delta Works
- 17 Southern Italy without a Car
- 18 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 19 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 20 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 21 Hotel in Rome?
- 22 Scotland trip report July 2014, chapter 1
- 23 Visit to Bath and London england
- 24 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 25 Bus to Vietri Sul Mare?