I am keen to stay in Cinque Terre for couple of days and just spend my days hiking around from one town to the other. Obviously, my timing couldn't be worse. Early August means it will be full of tourists, most rooms are booked and day-trippers would be abundant.
Having said that, is it still worthwhile? Or is it so unbearable that I might as well keep it for the future? I don't think I would get to visit Italy anytime soon in next few years, and gosh, what if I get too old and lazy to hike all towns?
Many think, from what I have read on this forum, that it is over-rated. Is it over-rated even for a first-timer in Italy?
Is it worthwhile to stay in any other town nearby, like La Spezia, Portofino, and make my way to the towns every day? I don't like the sound of it, however. But if anybody has done that, and found it better than being amidst hordes whole day, please share your experience.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Couscous
- 2 Ideas for vacation to Germany
- 3 Base for Hidcote, etc. from London
- 4 Itinery help Crete
- 5 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 6 Purchasing travel insurance in the UK
- 7 CULINARY EXPLORING IN MADRID, SEVILLA, GAUCIN AND MALAGA
- 8 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 9 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 10 BA flights canceled until 18:00 local
- 11 TIM in FCO - update
- 12 Train/car from Madrid to Toledo tomorrow
- 13 Threat Level in UK
- 14 Driving a rental car from Croatia to Slovenia
- 15 Cartagena Spain
- 16 London in Winter Report
- 17 Gibraltar United Kingdom
- 18 June Honeymoon in Greek Islands
- 19 Switzerland swiss mountain passes so confusing, jungfrou
- 20 3 nights in Madrid
- 21 S. Kensington London Restaurants
- 22 Sarlat & Surrounding Towns Restaurants
- 23 Ireland base towns (and timing) - Connemara/W. Cork?
- 24 Great Food restaurant, cafes, bars, winery, food shops in Provence and Lyon
- 25 Stumbling on the path to a Russian visa
Cinque Terre in early August: Nightmare or still worthwhile?