I need advise regarding my itinerary
We are a mid thirties couple with 2 kids aged 6 and 2 planning a holiday in Bavaria and Bavarian/Tirol alps and are primarily looking at exploring the Christmas Markets and enjoying ourselves in the snow. We are planning to arrive into Munich on the night of 19 December with the return date flexible at the moment but tentatively looking at around 6 January.
I believe most Christmas markets close down by 23rd, We intend to use the first 4 days (20 to 23 December) exploring the Christmas markets. I was thinking of basing ourselves in Munich and explore the markets of Munich and via day trips of Near by towns(to decide between Nuremberg, Salzburg). Coming from India, Christmas markets is an alien concept and thus we are not sure if it is the case of "if you have seen one you have seen them all". I was looking for advise on what would be an optimum number of markets to visit. I understand that Munich alone hosts 24 such markets - so should we stick around to Munich alone or do you feel we should do some day trips? If so, can you advise which would be good towns to visit so that we get some distinct flavour between each.
Reading through forums I understand that almost everything shuts down on Christmas Eve in the cities and doesn't really open until 27 December. Taking this into account we were planning to shift base into one of the alpine villages. Since neither of us has ever experienced snow we are looking at options which may offer us the opportunity to enjoy snow and winter sports. I am confused which to pick base - Garmisch, Mittenwald, Seefeld or Kitzbuhel? We would like to enjoy some winter sports (please suggest options) especially anything to do with snow and that can keep my 6 year son occupied too (I am assuming there may not be any snow sports for my 2 year daughter - please correct me). Though I am not sure we would be interested in serious skiing but wouldn't mind casually trying out our hand at it for a couple of days (is that too little to pick by basic skiing?). Would the choice of base vary if we would also like to use it to explore the region through short day trips? I am also seeking advise as to how long should we plan for this base? I was thinking 7-8 nights - will that be too much with the kids or may be even too little.
We intend to return to Munich in the end for 3 odd days before we fly out from there - I am assuming Christmas market hopping in the initial period may not give too much time to explore the city and hence these days. Can you advise which if we should add any other town to our itinerary to give it a more diverse experience. (We have already done Salzburg and its Lake District along with Berchtesgaden)
I would really appreciate all help you can provide and thank you in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cancelling apartment in PARIS
- 2 First time Germany Frankfurt to Munich 2 weeks
- 3 Amsterdam vs. France
- 4 Ireland ToDo
- 5 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 6 European Championship
- 7 1 week in Malaga
- 8 Proper attire for a 17 year old boy traveling to Europe
- 9 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 10 Honeymoon hotel in Montreux/Vevey
- 11 Bus from montalcino to Firenze
- 12 Where should I go in Spain for 2 weeks? Add Lisbon?
- 13 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 14 Car Rental in Italy: Insurance Needed/Suggested
- 15 Berlin / Cologne / Rothenburg / Neuschwanstein
- 16 Norway Itinerary
- 17 Two weeks in Athens and Cyclades
- 18 Daytrips/Excursions from Frankfurt
- 19 Amsterdam Hotel
- 20 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 21 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 22 Swiss travel pass/ Glacier express
- 23 italy in ll days and what to see
- 24 PARIS. GTG-------Sept.14, 2016, anyone interested?
- 25 Rome> Salerno>Positano ??
I need advise regarding my itinerary