As part of a 7-week trip to Europe in May and June, my husband and I spent two weeks in the Aeolian Islands off the north coast of Sicily. Last year we had stayed for 5 nights on the main island, Lipari, during which time we did daytrips to most of the other islands, including Panarea and Salina. After we got home last year the Aeolis continued to call to us, so we decided to return this year to spend a week each on Panarea and Salina. It wasn't enough. I'm ready to go back again! As in much of Italy, May was a beautiful time to visit--before the huge crowds arrived, relaxed, less expensive. The Aeolis aren't easy to get to--they require a bit of effort. But they're worth it! My trip report follows.
Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Foie gras, redux
- 2 Transportation from Airport in Reykjavik to downtown hotel
- 3 Cooking classes in Belgium
- 4 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 5 Southern France
- 6 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean
- 7 Advance Tickest from Piraeus to Islands?
- 8 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 9 italy
- 10 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 11 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 12 London in 3 days! Help with lodging, please!
- 13 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 14 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 15 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 16 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 17 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 18 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 19 What to wear
- 20 What still confounds you about travel?
- 21 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 22 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 23 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 24 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 25 Pronunciation