As part of a 7-week trip to Europe in May and June, my husband and I spent two weeks in the Aeolian Islands off the north coast of Sicily. Last year we had stayed for 5 nights on the main island, Lipari, during which time we did daytrips to most of the other islands, including Panarea and Salina. After we got home last year the Aeolis continued to call to us, so we decided to return this year to spend a week each on Panarea and Salina. It wasn't enough. I'm ready to go back again! As in much of Italy, May was a beautiful time to visit--before the huge crowds arrived, relaxed, less expensive. The Aeolis aren't easy to get to--they require a bit of effort. But they're worth it! My trip report follows.
Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 2 Month Itinerary England, France, Germany, Italy does this work?
- 3 Alternatives to Heathrow hotels?
- 4 Heli Tour
- 5 What are the best places to see in England
- 6 YOUR FAVOURITE THINGS IN OXFORD
- 7 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 8 Suggestions for a nice hotel in Stockholm?
- 9 TGV from Charles de Gaulle airport to Avignon
- 10 St Pancras to Holburn tube station
- 11 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 12 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 13 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 14 Estonia Amber
- 15 Restaurant with a view - Florence
- 16 Tight Planning?
- 17 Rue Montorgueil or 7th?
- 18 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 19 Villa rental suggestions in Umbira or Positano please
- 20 Travel with Teens
- 21 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 22 Personal recommendations where to stay for family of 5 in Sorrento
- 23 One week in Venice - trips
- 24 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 25 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions