As part of a 7-week trip to Europe in May and June, my husband and I spent two weeks in the Aeolian Islands off the north coast of Sicily. Last year we had stayed for 5 nights on the main island, Lipari, during which time we did daytrips to most of the other islands, including Panarea and Salina. After we got home last year the Aeolis continued to call to us, so we decided to return this year to spend a week each on Panarea and Salina. It wasn't enough. I'm ready to go back again! As in much of Italy, May was a beautiful time to visit--before the huge crowds arrived, relaxed, less expensive. The Aeolis aren't easy to get to--they require a bit of effort. But they're worth it! My trip report follows.
Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 2 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 3 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 4 I lost the thread to respond about th Arles Amphetheatre
- 5 Dordogne or Nantes and La Rochelle
- 6 American Express
- 7 All Set To Go!!
- 8 Rome, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence
- 9 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 10 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 11 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 12 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 13 Three ferries to Mull
- 14 Transferwise: My latest experience in currency exchange
- 15 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 16 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 17 Treis-Karden 4 days and Trier 2 days?
- 18 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 19 Scotland: North West Highlands: July 2012
- 20 Story of the German Christmas star
- 21 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 22 Airport ATMs
- 23 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 24 Ideas for Itinerary from Frankfurt
- 25 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?