As part of a 7-week trip to Europe in May and June, my husband and I spent two weeks in the Aeolian Islands off the north coast of Sicily. Last year we had stayed for 5 nights on the main island, Lipari, during which time we did daytrips to most of the other islands, including Panarea and Salina. After we got home last year the Aeolis continued to call to us, so we decided to return this year to spend a week each on Panarea and Salina. It wasn't enough. I'm ready to go back again! As in much of Italy, May was a beautiful time to visit--before the huge crowds arrived, relaxed, less expensive. The Aeolis aren't easy to get to--they require a bit of effort. But they're worth it! My trip report follows.
Chilling in the Aeolian Islands
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Provence or Alsace in late March
- 2 What kind of Tourist are you?
- 3 Italy and Croatia
- 4 Checking or storing luggage at FCO
- 5 The new Vuitton Foundation Museum in Paris
- 6 Trip report: Kayaking, Riding and fall in Split, Croatia
- 7 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 8 Weekend in Norfolk
- 9 1 month Europe itinerary help for Aug-Sep
- 10 Young couple - where to stay in London?
- 11 Rome Italy air and land tour packages
- 12 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary
- 13 Best beach town in Italy?
- 14 Need Advice: 9 Days in Portugal in March
- 15 A Greek sojourn
- 16 NEED ADVICE: 2 Months in Italy, 1 Month through Spain, Greece, and France
- 17 Bollywood in Berlin -- with English subs
- 18 Rome Underground Sites to Visit - Any Suggestions?
- 19 Blackpool Lights 2014: Tripping the Lights Fantastic in Northern England!
- 20 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 21 Is Venice really dirty?
- 22 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 23 Micro trip report - a few days in Scotland
- 24 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 25 Autumn in Paris