A cautionary tale:
You know those ubiquitous announcements on planes we all ignore, like how to fasten your seat belt? And to check you have all your belongings before getting off? They have the same check for your belongings message on trains in northern Europe, but not in Spain, and seems they should.
I boarded the Barcelona to Vigo ALVIA in Pamplona early this afternoon. Wasn't sure I was in the right (Preferente) coach, and then on the floor by what I thought was my seat was a small over-stuffed shoulder bag and a Fodors guide to Barcelona.... I figured the person in the aisle seat had taken over the window seat while it was empty, and had gone for lunch. She couldn't have got off the train without her handbag, could she?
After a while it was clear she could and had. When the conductor eventually came back through I showed him an explanation on the Translate app on my phone, and he took custody of the bag and book. But my blood was running cold at the thought of what might be in it. (No, I didn't seriously think it was a bomb.) Camera? Phone? Money? Credit cards? ATM cards?? Passport???
I keep most of my valuables in a money belt, and I don't carry a handbag when I'm actually traveling - one rolling case and one day pack - but I made extra sure my iPad, phone and wallet were where they should be before I got off the train!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 2 로하이양방 ▶ 도메인 : pwn22.com●가입코드:ctx20▶kakao:ctx2012
- 3 Spider - Man: Homecoming Pelicula Completa Español Latino HD
- 4 4 Nights Sevilla/Cordoba in Nov; How to split up
- 5 Paris experts- hotel near train ?
- 6 3 days outside Venice
- 7 PRAGUE-TOP 10 THINGS TO DO
- 8 Night Bus?
- 9 Avignon, best place to drop off a rental car?
- 10 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 11 Spider-Man HomeComing Full Movie Svenska Sub HD
- 12 Moldova and Transnistria
- 13 Reaching the Lake District
- 14 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 15 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 16 Jewish Vienna
- 17 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 18 Andalucia Spain
- 19 seat reservations
- 20 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 21 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 22 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 23 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 24 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 25 Private car transportation from FCO to Central Rome
A cautionary tale: