A cautionary tale:
You know those ubiquitous announcements on planes we all ignore, like how to fasten your seat belt? And to check you have all your belongings before getting off? They have the same check for your belongings message on trains in northern Europe, but not in Spain, and seems they should.
I boarded the Barcelona to Vigo ALVIA in Pamplona early this afternoon. Wasn't sure I was in the right (Preferente) coach, and then on the floor by what I thought was my seat was a small over-stuffed shoulder bag and a Fodors guide to Barcelona.... I figured the person in the aisle seat had taken over the window seat while it was empty, and had gone for lunch. She couldn't have got off the train without her handbag, could she?
After a while it was clear she could and had. When the conductor eventually came back through I showed him an explanation on the Translate app on my phone, and he took custody of the bag and book. But my blood was running cold at the thought of what might be in it. (No, I didn't seriously think it was a bomb.) Camera? Phone? Money? Credit cards? ATM cards?? Passport???
I keep most of my valuables in a money belt, and I don't carry a handbag when I'm actually traveling - one rolling case and one day pack - but I made extra sure my iPad, phone and wallet were where they should be before I got off the train!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tattoos in Italy
- 2 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 3 London/Edinburgh in a few weeks, what should I get done ahead of time?
- 4 Another Question re Scotland
- 5 Place to stay
- 6 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 7 Charming areas to explore in London
- 8 Transport from palace of versailles to Grand Trianon
- 9 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 10 Our Roman Holiday - 8 nights in the Eternal City
- 11 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 12 9 days in Eastern Sicily
- 13 Weird trip - more time in A&E than sightseeing
- 14 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 15 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 16 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 17 2 weeks from southern italy
- 18 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 19 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 20 travel around Spain
- 21 Guide books for Eastern Europe
- 22 Paris drinks/dinner GTG April?
- 23 A base for 5 days in Western Denmark
- 24 credit and debit cards
- 25 Where to stay in Umbria
A cautionary tale: