A cautionary tale:
You know those ubiquitous announcements on planes we all ignore, like how to fasten your seat belt? And to check you have all your belongings before getting off? They have the same check for your belongings message on trains in northern Europe, but not in Spain, and seems they should.
I boarded the Barcelona to Vigo ALVIA in Pamplona early this afternoon. Wasn't sure I was in the right (Preferente) coach, and then on the floor by what I thought was my seat was a small over-stuffed shoulder bag and a Fodors guide to Barcelona.... I figured the person in the aisle seat had taken over the window seat while it was empty, and had gone for lunch. She couldn't have got off the train without her handbag, could she?
After a while it was clear she could and had. When the conductor eventually came back through I showed him an explanation on the Translate app on my phone, and he took custody of the bag and book. But my blood was running cold at the thought of what might be in it. (No, I didn't seriously think it was a bomb.) Camera? Phone? Money? Credit cards? ATM cards?? Passport???
I keep most of my valuables in a money belt, and I don't carry a handbag when I'm actually traveling - one rolling case and one day pack - but I made extra sure my iPad, phone and wallet were where they should be before I got off the train!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 3 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 4 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 5 Greece-Paros or Meteora
- 6 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 9 Juangfrau / mt
- 10 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 11 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 12 Switzerland
- 13 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 14 Questions about Polish sights
- 15 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 16 If you had to choose one......
- 17 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 18 Ireland travel passport question
- 19 Italy
- 20 10 nights in Umbria before Rome- advice please
- 21 Revised itinerary for italy
- 22 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 23 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 24 Biarritz family holiday
- 25 Lisbon hotel
A cautionary tale: