We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 2 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 3 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 4 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 5 Dijon in December!
- 6 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 7 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 8 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 9 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 10 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 13 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 14 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 15 Summer Travel order
- 16 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 17 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 18 Swiss Travel Pass
- 19 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 20 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 21 Another tipping question: concierges
- 22 24 hours in Zurich
- 23 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 24 Beautiful Ireland: a 3-week solo journey.
- 25 Trip suggestion