We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 2 Paris November 2014
- 3 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 4 Arc de Triumph Question
- 5 What to wear
- 6 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 7 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 8 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 9 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 10 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 11 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 12 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 13 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 14 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 15 London 2nd time around
- 16 Hotel recommendations for Trieste
- 17 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 18 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 19 Greece trip report - winter in the center - Epirus, Pelion etc
- 20 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 21 How to split nine days on Crete?
- 22 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 23 Amsterdam Berlin Bus companies BestBusTravel
- 24 Rovinj, Croatia
- 25 Which lake to visit in Italy