We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 2 Budget friendly restaurants in Rome
- 3 Swiss Burial/Grave Customs - ?
- 4 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 5 Regensburg then the mountains - Garmish-Partenkirchen this time?
- 6 Plitvice Lakes - is it worth it for a short visit?
- 7 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 8 Harry Potter WB Studio entrance time - London
- 9 Teens in Paris..what to wear
- 10 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 11 Requesting Suggestions for Venice
- 12 Switzerland in 8 days
- 13 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 14 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 15 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 16 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 17 Four people, three countries, two weeks
- 18 planning confusion
- 19 Croatia Itenerary
- 20 Need help with logistics for visit to Dordogne area, please.
- 21 Has anyone used Travelex as a debit card in Italy?
- 22 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 23 Seeking Diverse Experiences in Western France – Please Critique Itinerary!
- 24 Day trips to Florence, Venice - Any Recommended Tour Companies
- 25 Favorite restaurant on Dordogne River