We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Passport not stamped on entry into Rome, hassle exiting Frankfurt
- 2 Lyon
- 3 Dolomites October 14-18
- 4 Italy train strike - high speed trains?
- 5 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 6 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 7 Traveling into Frankfurt and catching a flight to London
- 8 Le Marche, Italy
- 9 Driving from Tuscany to Positano - recos needed!
- 10 Two Weeks in Normandy/Paris
- 11 Road Trip - Genoa, Italy to Bordeaux, France
- 12 sim card
- 13 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 14 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 15 Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov??
- 16 Is Venice overrated?
- 17 San Sebastian to Cadaques
- 18 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 19 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 20 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 21 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 22 Planning a 10 day Swiss and Austrian Tour
- 23 SWITZERLAND IN 5 SUMMER DAYS
- 24 Venice to Croatia
- 25 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken