We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Take your time to see San Gimignano
- 2 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 3 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 4 Honeymoon in Greece & Norway April/May 2016
- 5 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 6 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 7 Help with final 6 days of Norway itinerary
- 8 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 9 Help with air/train logistics in U.K.!
- 10 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 11 Shopping in Stockholm, Prague and Warsaw
- 12 What one thing in Paris?
- 13 Holiday in Austria
- 14 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 15 Rue des Rosiers
- 16 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 17 First Trip to Europe!
- 18 Switzerland in mid-April
- 19 sfo to europe
- 20 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 21 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 22 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 23 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 24 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 25 Car rental leaving Rome