We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in London
- 2 Jeff Steiner interviews Adrian Leeds re Paris short-term rentals.
- 3 Random Rome Questions
- 4 EuropeanQuiz # 70 ( Friday)
- 5 Berlin, Dresden and Prague or Berlin and Vienna?
- 6 London experts--Look at my week's itinerary, please?
- 7 Itinerary question for Czech Republic for September trip
- 8 Hotel or bed and breakfast in Venice
- 9 Trip Insurance
- 10 Europe in June with 8-year old
- 11 Afternoon Tea in London: Savoy vs. Ritz
- 12 Iceland Trekking/Camping
- 13 Newgrange
- 14 Italy by Cruise Ship or Airplane/Rail
- 15 Driving to Beaune
- 16 Travelling to France
- 17 Use of pre-booked non-PREMS tickets on French trains
- 18 Iceland trip...need some feedback please!
- 19 Easier connection to London's city center -- Gatwick or Stansted?
- 20 25 days in Europe
- 21 ANDALUCIA - CIVIL WAR GUIDE?
- 22 Lyon, Beaune, or Dijon as stopover from Antibes to Colmar?
- 23 Amsterdam B&B -- Tulipa -- Feedback Wanted
- 24 Oslo, Norway - worth the trip?
- 25 scotland trave;