We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 taking kids to france for first time next summer-help!
- 2 Budget for eating out in Italy, France and Berlin?
- 3 Teen Mens Fashion/Apparel?
- 4 Aug/Sept trip to Amsterdam - time for Brussels too?
- 5 Where to stay in Barcelona
- 6 Gay and St.Petersburg
- 7 Gift for my European Friends- How about Hershey?
- 8 Best Luggage for Cobblestone/Stairs
- 9 Paris Pass worth the money?
- 10 France Tourisme - Is it a reliable tour company?
- 11 Andalucia itinerary help
- 12 Vienna →Melk → Durnstein → Krems: details, details…
- 13 Mont St. Michele?
- 14 10 day travel itinerary to Italy... help!
- 15 Four Days in Tallinn, Estonia
- 16 London 2-for-1: Using an "unused" Train Ticket
- 17 Buying Prado Museum tickets online
- 18 Southwestern England
- 19 Airoport transfers from Dublin airport
- 20 Airbnb
- 21 Tedgale trip report: One glorious week in London, February, 2015
- 22 British Honeymoon!
- 23 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 24 Edinburgh accommodation location help me choose
- 25 italy-switzerland travel advice in mid to late May