We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 2 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 3 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 4 First time Ireland trip
- 5 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 6 Side trip from Chamonix in January
- 7 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 8 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 9 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 10 All Set To Go!!
- 11 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 12 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 13 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 14 Renfe planning strike December 26th
- 15 Ireland, Honeymoon, early June 2015, active couple
- 16 22 year olds in Europe
- 17 Earthquakes in Tuscany
- 18 Granada
- 19 Tour Guide in Budapest
- 20 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 21 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 22 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 23 Coffee in Naples
- 24 A Sardinia trip report
- 25 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy