We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 FIRST TIME VISIT TO SWITZERLAND
- 2 Alhambra night tour tickets question / Seville Alcazar night tour
- 3 Need help with 2.5 days Rome itinerary
- 4 First Zermatt Ski Trip
- 5 Tour Recommendations Venice, Florence, Rom
- 6 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 7 train from ams to paris
- 8 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 9 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 10 4 or 5 nights Berlin
- 11 Poland in September
- 12 Why I loved Riga (Latvia)
- 13 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 14 Cheap Paris Boutiques
- 15 where to stay (and how long), what to see around Nuremberg
- 16 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 17 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 18 Help with my 9 week Europe Itinerary
- 19 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 20 Scotland Advise: Isle of Skye or Glen Coe
- 21 Cordoba or Granada?
- 22 Apartments in Lisbon-Neighbouhood?
- 23 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon
- 24 Scenic drives in Tuscany
- 25 Using Kindle, Netflix, Amazon Prime in Europe