We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Moving to Belfast
- 2 Wiring money for apt rental?
- 3 Posting from Siena-ATM emergency! Help needed!
- 4 Help with a small island in Greece
- 5 Photo Ops, Great Pubs, Something Different - Cornwall Suggestions Please
- 6 granada to algarve
- 7 Glasgow to Brody Ferry Scotland
- 8 Libourne overnight
- 9 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 10 Ideas for Shropshire Please
- 11 AA Frequent Flyer Flight bookings to Europe
- 12 Help with somewhat messed up itinerary-Greece and Venice
- 13 Brugge photo on Bing
- 14 to take cash from USA or from ATMs in France?
- 15 Can anyone suggest a good Italian phrase app?
- 16 Help with extended vacation / move to Italy with little ones …
- 17 Rail or Bus Travel in Italy
- 18 "Compartment" vs "Saloon Carriage" in 2nd class: Salzburg to Venice?
- 19 Travel from Berlin To Paris by train. good places to visit in Paris (tips)
- 20 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 21 Spending money in Italy?
- 22 Two Week Big Fat Family Vacation to Greece
- 23 Does this itinerary work and make sense? Help!
- 24 I went to Paris in June
- 25 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!