We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Schengen Rule
- 2 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 3 Quizz !
- 4 Spanish Medical Providers
- 5 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 6 Basing on the Akrotiri Penisula in Crete?
- 7 Christmas Day in Granada
- 8 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 9 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 10 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 11 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 12 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 13 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 14 Zurich to Milan trip
- 15 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 16 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 17 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 18 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 19 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 20 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 21 Pay attention to your watches !
- 22 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 23 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 24 Venice/Mestre
- 25 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?