We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 VERIZON@ Password Reset CONTACT 1:800:982:8520 TECH SUPPORT hel*p
- 2 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 3 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 4 Stuck in Paris
- 5 Spain - day driver advice
- 6 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 7 Buenos Aires, Argentina or Lisbon Portugal
- 8 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 9 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 10 Spanish food - not that special?
- 11 Renting a car in Greece
- 12 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 13 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 14 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 15 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 16 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 17 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 18 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 19 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 20 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 21 Paris hotel
- 22 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 23 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 24 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 25 RS view on booking.com & the like