We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seotember Trip to Greece- 2015
- 2 Shipping bags home
- 3 Narrowing down our itinerary...Paris-Venice-Rome
- 4 Weekend Driving in Rome
- 5 small group tours of turkey and greece
- 6 Italy in late June - 10 days. Should we do Rome, Florence AND Venice?
- 7 Bavarian Accommodations - Need Your Assistance
- 8 Paris to Bordeaux TGV
- 9 Taking a 5 day trip to Europe
- 10 England, Paris itinerary help
- 11 Swiss Pass or Eurail Pass worth it for multi-country trip?
- 12 Itinerary for July trip to France, Germany and Italy
- 13 Family of 4 traveling 10 months
- 14 Accommodations in Paris
- 15 Ideas for 4 days between Venice and Florence
- 16 Early May...Lisbon to Barcelona or Barcelona to Lisbon? Weather....
- 17 South of Spain in late September - cities/areas?
- 18 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 19 Does anyone travel with trip notes on an ipad? Tech help please!
- 20 Provence planning
- 21 Germany for 3 weeks
- 22 A week in Wengen hiking the Bernese Oberland
- 23 Dublin Layover Suggestions
- 24 Looking for some advice for an April Itenerary!
- 25 Transportation directly from Malpensa to place other than Milan