We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itenerary Opinion
- 2 Itin help: 14-15 days in Bavaria, Austria, possibly Croatia and Prague
- 3 Bad Wimpfen or Schwaebisch Hall
- 4 Ecstacy of St. Teresa Under Renovation?
- 5 London-Paris solo trip
- 6 Where to stay around Munich
- 7 Northern England /Scotland in 16 days
- 8 Question for Aussies re travel SIMs in Europe
- 9 The Best of Paris Oct 12 -18th 2015
- 10 Eiffel-tower-shut-staff-walk-
- 11 Springtime in Paris and Provence – April 2015
- 12 Shoppingin Spain
- 13 Barcelona San Pau Apartment
- 14 Daytrip Ideas from Assisi (leaving this Saturday)
- 15 Northern Spain
- 16 Study Abroad in Barcelona or Urbino
- 17 Stresa: Do I Need A Car?
- 18 London to Edinburgh Road Trip - Advice appreciated
- 19 Parking in Alhambra for two days
- 20 French Prem Train Fares
- 21 Euro Quiz # 103 - Rivers!
- 22 Dublin to Dingle?
- 23 To Hampton Court Palace
- 24 Day trip London to Belgium - Help!
- 25 Anyone have a good word to say about Zurich?