We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Paris - first time young, solo female
- 2 Sweden - Gothenburg and Malmö photo gallery and tourist attractions
- 3 Which 2 of these 3: Lekeitio, Getaria, and Hondarribia
- 4 Rome 2015- A Spring Break Adventure!
- 5 Need help with Normandy & Loire Valley itinerary + extra days
- 6 Lyon Arrondissements
- 7 Euro quiz # 89 - Potpourri
- 8 Spring in Spain: Crawling up Mallorca; Pushing Through Toledo
- 9 Hello and advice please to help plan our visit
- 10 Scenic Beauty in Greek Island ? Crete or other island ?
- 11 Need suggestions for day trips in Provence
- 12 VALI DI RAGUSA
- 13 Help with Greece Itinerary for Honeymoon!
- 14 Spa in Scotland
- 15 EUROPE IN 5 MONTHS
- 16 Booking Greece Ferry Tickets online
- 17 Any French Riviera Beach Reccs?
- 18 1+ days in Toledo
- 19 Help on Norway please - too much to cover too little time.
- 20 What area/town to stay in North Eastern Sardinia?
- 21 Paris info required
- 22 DCC on the increase?
- 23 Bernina and Glacier Express routes
- 24 French Etiquette! "Bonjour Madame or Bonjour Monsieur!
- 25 Greek Island honeymoon