We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
- 1 Slovenia/Northern Croatia in mid-August - hotel and other advice?
- 2 Don't slight Bruges
- 3 Lucerne where to stay
- 4 Ryanair Cabin Luggage
- 5 To Madrid/Barcelona on Sunday! 8 Qs to help make the trip amazing
- 6 Moonliner bus question - can you help please?
- 7 BULGARIA/GOLDEN SANDS/BALKAN HOLIDAYS
- 8 Golden Sands Bulgaria online guide
- 9 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 10 Tales from Venice, Bologna, Pienza and Rome
- 11 American Citizen Buying a Home in Spain
- 12 Driving from Bordeaux south into Spain- tips please!!
- 13 Rome's night of the museums 18 May 2013
- 14 Travel in Spain
- 15 When is the best time to buy train tickets/where?
- 16 Germany: From the Mosel to Munich - A Detailed Trip Report
- 17 Shopping in France for the larger than average...
- 18 Gothenburg or Aarhus?
- 19 Seems to me this forum is a lot less active than in years past....
- 20 Torun and Zamosc similar?
- 21 Spain Pyrenees overnight stopover Help needed with route?
- 22 I Need To Vent!
- 23 France: CDG to Beaune
- 24 Athens licensed tour guide
- 25 Comfortable shoes to wear in Italy this summer and not look like a tourist