We are planning our French summer holiday and are looking for some Fodors inspiration. We are a family of 4 with two daughters aged 12 & 16. We're flying into Dublin then connecting into CDG. We will rent a house for a week in a smallish French city with plenty to do but some interesting side trips nearby. Then we'll head back to Paris, stay there for 4 nights, fly back to Dublin for 3 nights and then head home.
We are definitely city people rather than the small isolated farmhouse loving folks. At first we were thinking of driving from CDG to Normandy and finding a homebase there. But most of the towns are quite small and my girls might get bored after a couple of days. So we're thinking of getting a TGV from CDG to somewhere within a 3 hour radius and renting a car there. Ideally it will be the Lucca of France, a town we fell in love with during a previous trip. It's the perfect size town: big enough for plenty to do but small enough to give us some a respite from Paris. We're not big into wine so vineyards and chateaus aren't that important. A few thoughts: Dijon? Strasbourg? Besancon? Any others?
charming small French city for weeklong stay?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Teaching English in Europe or Asia
- 2 Can you see the Matterhorn at all from Bellinzona Switzerland?
- 3 London and Where Else in late December?
- 4 Where Would You Add Two Days - Tuscany & CT Itinerary
- 5 Ireland Southwest
- 6 Spain - Cadaques to Girona
- 7 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 8 non-touristy in Umbria or Tuscany?
- 9 Barcelona and Italy itinerary...hotels all set, need help w some details
- 10 plug adaptors for Switzerland
- 11 Couples trip- 18 nights-Itinerary Help
- 12 First ever trip overseas - itinerary check
- 13 Electronic plug adapter for Italy
- 14 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover
- 15 Barcelona Airport to Las Ramblas / recommended transportation??
- 16 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 17 Planning for Italy trip with a two-year old
- 18 Matisse at Tate
- 19 Venice to Dolomites then Tuscany? Need itinerary advice
- 20 3 weeks in Europe
- 21 Suggested Itinerary and ideas for South of France road tour?
- 22 How much time did -you- spend in Delphi and Olympia?
- 23 Bologna airport to train to Florence
- 24 Small Group walking tour Switzerland
- 25 Andaluzia - where to stay in Seville and Malaga?