For those of you who have been so helpful as I plan the various parts of my 2015 trip, I thought I should start a specific post relating to the Chamonix to Paris leg. We'd like to make this trip in one day, preferably breaking up the 7 hours of driving by taking TGV for part of that journey. I also don't want to drive into Geneva because Europcar charges so much more for dropping off in Switzerland (picking up in France).
Of the following options, do any of them have a particularly beautiful route by TGV, a particularly easy or difficult station for Europcar rental return, or morning workday commute traffic I should factor in?
Option 1: Drop off car in Chamonix, take 1ish hour shuttle to Geneva for a 3.25 hr TGV (Lyria)
Option 2: Drive to & drop off in Annecy (1.25 hours) and take a 3.75 hr TGV
Option 3: Drive to & drop off in Lyon -drive 2.75 hrs to Lyon for 2 hr TGV
All 3 options have us leaving Chamonix earlier in the morning than we'd like (7-9 am).
Option 3 gives us a handful of extra (i.e. slightly later) options because Lyon has trains leaving hourly.
For Option 1: I'd also appreciate any recommendations for the most reliable shuttle/van service that can take us (2 adults and 2 children) from Chamonix into Geneva. Several of the ones mentioned online also get pretty crappy reviews.
And once again, let me say thanks to all of you who have helped with your ideas and suggestions. I know I always ask a lot of questions to get familiar with my options, but in this case I don't think I've ever had a trip so carefully choreographed as this one.
But since we want to take advantage of the best rail fares (and get all our vacation rentals lined up), we've had to make so many of these decisions really early. Thanks again for your help getting it organized!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 2 Online Site for Alhambra Tickets
- 3 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 4 OUR 2-WEEK SPANISH JOURNEY: MADRID, TOLEDO, AND ANDALUCIA!
- 5 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 6 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 7 Venice, Florence, Umbria, Rome, AND Amalfi?
- 8 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 9 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 10 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 11 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 12 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 13 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 14 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 15 Bruges
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 18 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 19 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 20 6 months in Europe itinerary-Countries
- 21 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 22 Planning A trip
- 23 A week in the Occitanie
- 24 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 25 Paris Neighborhood Help