For those of you who have been so helpful as I plan the various parts of my 2015 trip, I thought I should start a specific post relating to the Chamonix to Paris leg. We'd like to make this trip in one day, preferably breaking up the 7 hours of driving by taking TGV for part of that journey. I also don't want to drive into Geneva because Europcar charges so much more for dropping off in Switzerland (picking up in France).
Of the following options, do any of them have a particularly beautiful route by TGV, a particularly easy or difficult station for Europcar rental return, or morning workday commute traffic I should factor in?
Option 1: Drop off car in Chamonix, take 1ish hour shuttle to Geneva for a 3.25 hr TGV (Lyria)
Option 2: Drive to & drop off in Annecy (1.25 hours) and take a 3.75 hr TGV
Option 3: Drive to & drop off in Lyon -drive 2.75 hrs to Lyon for 2 hr TGV
All 3 options have us leaving Chamonix earlier in the morning than we'd like (7-9 am).
Option 3 gives us a handful of extra (i.e. slightly later) options because Lyon has trains leaving hourly.
For Option 1: I'd also appreciate any recommendations for the most reliable shuttle/van service that can take us (2 adults and 2 children) from Chamonix into Geneva. Several of the ones mentioned online also get pretty crappy reviews.
And once again, let me say thanks to all of you who have helped with your ideas and suggestions. I know I always ask a lot of questions to get familiar with my options, but in this case I don't think I've ever had a trip so carefully choreographed as this one.
But since we want to take advantage of the best rail fares (and get all our vacation rentals lined up), we've had to make so many of these decisions really early. Thanks again for your help getting it organized!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BROTHER@ printer ERRORS CONTACT ☎ 1:888:279:0246 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 2 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 3 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 4 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 5 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 6 Help on ancient history route
- 7 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?
- 8 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 9 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 10 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 11 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 12 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 13 Day hikes in Switzerland
- 14 French language immersion schools in France
- 15 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 16 Studying art in English in venice
- 17 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 18 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 19 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 20 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 21 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 22 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 23 Trogir or Split
- 24 Edinbrugh
- 25 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!