For those of you who have been so helpful as I plan the various parts of my 2015 trip, I thought I should start a specific post relating to the Chamonix to Paris leg. We'd like to make this trip in one day, preferably breaking up the 7 hours of driving by taking TGV for part of that journey. I also don't want to drive into Geneva because Europcar charges so much more for dropping off in Switzerland (picking up in France).
Of the following options, do any of them have a particularly beautiful route by TGV, a particularly easy or difficult station for Europcar rental return, or morning workday commute traffic I should factor in?
Option 1: Drop off car in Chamonix, take 1ish hour shuttle to Geneva for a 3.25 hr TGV (Lyria)
Option 2: Drive to & drop off in Annecy (1.25 hours) and take a 3.75 hr TGV
Option 3: Drive to & drop off in Lyon -drive 2.75 hrs to Lyon for 2 hr TGV
All 3 options have us leaving Chamonix earlier in the morning than we'd like (7-9 am).
Option 3 gives us a handful of extra (i.e. slightly later) options because Lyon has trains leaving hourly.
For Option 1: I'd also appreciate any recommendations for the most reliable shuttle/van service that can take us (2 adults and 2 children) from Chamonix into Geneva. Several of the ones mentioned online also get pretty crappy reviews.
And once again, let me say thanks to all of you who have helped with your ideas and suggestions. I know I always ask a lot of questions to get familiar with my options, but in this case I don't think I've ever had a trip so carefully choreographed as this one.
But since we want to take advantage of the best rail fares (and get all our vacation rentals lined up), we've had to make so many of these decisions really early. Thanks again for your help getting it organized!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris hotels
- 2 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 3 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 4 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 5 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 6 London Hotels
- 7 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 8 25th Anniversary in Italy - Spring 2017
- 9 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 10 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 11 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 12 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 13 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 14 Back from Paris
- 15 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 16 Summer Travel order
- 17 10 days in Paris and......
- 18 Another tipping question: concierges
- 19 Brugge hotel help
- 20 Luggage Storage
- 21 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 22 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 23 Romeloft Apartment Trastevere
- 24 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 25 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days