My sister and I have had a life long dream of touring Italy. We have finally decided to go for a month in 2014 and could use some reccomendations as to a good central location to take some day and weekend trips from. We would prefer a smaller town but with a good transportation base so that we can easily connect with buses and trains. We will not have a car so public transport will be essential.
We are hoping to rent an appartment or villa as a base to come and go from. Is this a good plan or are we better to just arrange hotels as we go? We love to immerse ourselves in different cultures and really get a feel for the people, so we don't plan to be touring the entire time.
Our interests are wide and we can't wait to see the history and art. We also have no itinerary planned yet so any suggestions would be very welcome. Is October a good time to go?? Any tips and suggestions appreciated as it will be our first (of hopefully many) trips to Europe.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France Itinerary Advice
- 2 Crete/Athens June 2017
- 3 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 4 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 5 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 6 Cordoba Overnight?
- 7 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 8 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 9 Marseille vs. Genoa
- 10 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 11 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 12 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 13 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 14 London Pass vs. OysterCard,or get both?
- 15 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 16 Itinerary help for 2 weeks vacation
- 17 Early Itinerary Munich to Croatia
- 18 ST.TROPEZ - 1 day Excursions
- 19 Uffizi Phone Number
- 20 Itinerary Help Needed. 8 Days in Greece~
- 21 I have six days in Spain - where should I go?
- 22 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 23 Piedmont as a destination
- 24 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 25 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels