My sister and I have had a life long dream of touring Italy. We have finally decided to go for a month in 2014 and could use some reccomendations as to a good central location to take some day and weekend trips from. We would prefer a smaller town but with a good transportation base so that we can easily connect with buses and trains. We will not have a car so public transport will be essential.
We are hoping to rent an appartment or villa as a base to come and go from. Is this a good plan or are we better to just arrange hotels as we go? We love to immerse ourselves in different cultures and really get a feel for the people, so we don't plan to be touring the entire time.
Our interests are wide and we can't wait to see the history and art. We also have no itinerary planned yet so any suggestions would be very welcome. Is October a good time to go?? Any tips and suggestions appreciated as it will be our first (of hopefully many) trips to Europe.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 2 Paris Under Seige...
- 3 Received Black Friday ads feom Europe
- 4 An Escape from Turkish Chaos to Everyday Venice
- 5 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 6 Scotland Trip
- 7 Frankfurt to (insert ideads here) then to the Mosel region
- 8 Advices about our itiniary
- 9 What to take to Germany
- 10 One day cruise stop Catania Sicily Trip Report
- 11 Denied entry to UK; could this give me problems going to Estonia?
- 12 4 week trip Turkey
- 13 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 14 Seeking Croatia/Slovenia planning assistance
- 15 First trip to Italy-2 weeks with a 9 year old
- 16 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 17 Must be the season of the witch: Nikki's autumn trip to London and Paris
- 18 Private transportation
- 19 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 20 Suggestions for travel
- 21 Cinque Terre day trip in about 3 weeks
- 22 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 23 Restaurant for New Year's Eve in PARIS
- 24 Holiday in Austria
- 25 Suggest the best land-based casino in Central London