My sister and I have had a life long dream of touring Italy. We have finally decided to go for a month in 2014 and could use some reccomendations as to a good central location to take some day and weekend trips from. We would prefer a smaller town but with a good transportation base so that we can easily connect with buses and trains. We will not have a car so public transport will be essential.
We are hoping to rent an appartment or villa as a base to come and go from. Is this a good plan or are we better to just arrange hotels as we go? We love to immerse ourselves in different cultures and really get a feel for the people, so we don't plan to be touring the entire time.
Our interests are wide and we can't wait to see the history and art. We also have no itinerary planned yet so any suggestions would be very welcome. Is October a good time to go?? Any tips and suggestions appreciated as it will be our first (of hopefully many) trips to Europe.
Central Location in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A weekend in Europe--where to go?
- 2 Girona, Spain - Restaurant for a Sunday night
- 3 Help with a small island in Greece
- 4 things in Rhonda
- 5 Amalfi Coast vs Greece
- 6 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 7 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 8 10 days switzerland trip itenary..
- 9 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!
- 10 Itinerey help for a 27 day trip to Europe for April of 2015
- 11 Impressions of Bad Tolz?
- 12 Month in Spain in September - Itinerary Feedback please
- 13 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 14 where to buy a LV bag?
- 15 Please help with itinerary for 18 days in Italy.
- 16 Santorini accomodations and more for a couple and baby
- 17 Italy-Croatia-Istanbul
- 18 One month in Puglia and Matera
- 19 A full week in The Netherlands
- 20 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 21 Favorite Views of Paris?
- 22 Spain for 5 days at end of August
- 23 Confusing Care rental in Italy Continued . . . Locauto?
- 24 Which hotel in Lisbon?
- 25 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction