My sister and I have had a life long dream of touring Italy. We have finally decided to go for a month in 2014 and could use some reccomendations as to a good central location to take some day and weekend trips from. We would prefer a smaller town but with a good transportation base so that we can easily connect with buses and trains. We will not have a car so public transport will be essential.
We are hoping to rent an appartment or villa as a base to come and go from. Is this a good plan or are we better to just arrange hotels as we go? We love to immerse ourselves in different cultures and really get a feel for the people, so we don't plan to be touring the entire time.
Our interests are wide and we can't wait to see the history and art. We also have no itinerary planned yet so any suggestions would be very welcome. Is October a good time to go?? Any tips and suggestions appreciated as it will be our first (of hopefully many) trips to Europe.
Central Location in Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Loco Spain Train Questions
- 2 France in 2003
- 3 Rocamaxour
- 4 camino de santiago starting in burgos
- 5 Now for the Venice hotel
- 6 Night Train from Krakow to Budapest
- 7 Traffic Violation fine - don't they want my money?
- 8 Looking for nice regions with good public transport
- 9 Mari's Northern Spain and the Camino de Santiago Trip Report
- 10 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 11 Arles as a base?
- 12 Scotland 4 days / 5 nights - Itinerary ideas?!
- 13 Free family pass for kids with Berner Oberland Pass?
- 14 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 15 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 16 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 17 Insight coach tours of Italy & France
- 18 Valencia, Granada, Seville or Malaga ????
- 19 Gastehaus Alpenkranz
- 20 Euro Travel Quiz - Places Reeking of History
- 21 South of Switzerland
- 22 A Week in Spain
- 23 Recharging an Old Lebara SIM?
- 24 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 25 Home Base in Belgium