My sister and I have had a life long dream of touring Italy. We have finally decided to go for a month in 2014 and could use some reccomendations as to a good central location to take some day and weekend trips from. We would prefer a smaller town but with a good transportation base so that we can easily connect with buses and trains. We will not have a car so public transport will be essential.
We are hoping to rent an appartment or villa as a base to come and go from. Is this a good plan or are we better to just arrange hotels as we go? We love to immerse ourselves in different cultures and really get a feel for the people, so we don't plan to be touring the entire time.
Our interests are wide and we can't wait to see the history and art. We also have no itinerary planned yet so any suggestions would be very welcome. Is October a good time to go?? Any tips and suggestions appreciated as it will be our first (of hopefully many) trips to Europe.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Germany family road trip help!
- 2 Well with itinerary North East Italy (again please!)
- 3 How many nights in Verona and Bologna?
- 4 Route/guide book request for Italy
- 5 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 6 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 7 Italy/Croatia Potential Itinerary Advice?
- 8 New York Kennedy to Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminals Clarification
- 9 https://thebeautysystem.com/secret-allure-cream
- 10 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 11 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 12 Italy and Croatia in 20 days - I need a rough itinerary please
- 13 who is in amsterdam?
- 14 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 15 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 16 Day Planning Help Required ..
- 17 Looking for suggestions car trip starting Amsterdam to nice
- 18 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 19 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!
- 20 Path of the Gods / Amalfi coast
- 21 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 22 Southern Croatia and side trips itinerary recommendations
- 23 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Rouen?
- 24 Paris Skip the Lines deals ...
- 25 Connecting flight time in Europe