A couple of posters have asked about things to do in Rome. Maybe you all have talked about this before, but here's a post anyway: I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the Torre Argentina cat sanctuary for anyone who loves cats. It's easy to find: Largo di Torre Argenina is just south of the Pantheon; the entrance to the cat sanctuary (go down the steps) is at the SW corner of the archaeological site. (Which, incidentally, contains three visible and one invisible--under the street--Republican era temples, very interesting.) Silvia, Lia, and the volunteers who work at the sanctuary are lovely people, and there are hundreds of cats living in that one city block. You can pet them if they'll let you. (The cats, that is. They keep them healthy--I've never gotten ringworm or anything.) I've been visiting the sanctuary every trip to Rome since 1996, and the good news is that every year the sanctuary receives more press and more awareness from travelers and the community. When I first discovered it (by accident) they didn't even know if they would be allowed to stay there (because of the archaeological site, gov't wanted them to leave). Now things are looking good, and lots of adoptions are made. You can adopt long distance if you don't want to take a kitty home with you. Check out their website: www.romancats.com. They also sell t-shirts now, and gift items, with proceeds going to the sanctuary's upkeep. It's a great cause! I don't have kids but I suspect that those who do would want to take the kids, they'd probably love it.
Cat Sanctuary--Torre Argentina (Rome)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 2 London in 3 days! Help with lodging, please!
- 3 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 4 Foie gras, redux
- 5 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 6 italy
- 7 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 8 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 9 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 10 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 11 What to wear
- 12 What still confounds you about travel?
- 13 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 14 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 15 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...
- 16 Rome to Pisa or Bologna to Pisa-Train...Help needed!
- 17 Pronunciation
- 18 Finland to Sweden to Denmark to France to UK
- 19 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son
- 20 Italy-Rome-Florence-Venice-CT-PievePelego-Help with order of travel
- 21 Day trip to Rothenberg from Munich
- 22 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 23 Ryanair Cabin Luggage
- 24 Short-stay apartment in Italy -- common practices?
- 25 Would someone critique my food/drinking itinerary for St. Petersburg?