A couple of posters have asked about things to do in Rome. Maybe you all have talked about this before, but here's a post anyway: I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the Torre Argentina cat sanctuary for anyone who loves cats. It's easy to find: Largo di Torre Argenina is just south of the Pantheon; the entrance to the cat sanctuary (go down the steps) is at the SW corner of the archaeological site. (Which, incidentally, contains three visible and one invisible--under the street--Republican era temples, very interesting.) Silvia, Lia, and the volunteers who work at the sanctuary are lovely people, and there are hundreds of cats living in that one city block. You can pet them if they'll let you. (The cats, that is. They keep them healthy--I've never gotten ringworm or anything.) I've been visiting the sanctuary every trip to Rome since 1996, and the good news is that every year the sanctuary receives more press and more awareness from travelers and the community. When I first discovered it (by accident) they didn't even know if they would be allowed to stay there (because of the archaeological site, gov't wanted them to leave). Now things are looking good, and lots of adoptions are made. You can adopt long distance if you don't want to take a kitty home with you. Check out their website: www.romancats.com. They also sell t-shirts now, and gift items, with proceeds going to the sanctuary's upkeep. It's a great cause! I don't have kids but I suspect that those who do would want to take the kids, they'd probably love it.
Cat Sanctuary--Torre Argentina (Rome)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help! Overwhelmed by Italy Trip Planning
- 2 Camino No-No
- 3 Anywhere to run in Granada?
- 4 Traveling with 6 in the Netherlands & Friesland - car or train?
- 5 Train tickets and Theatre tickets: how far in advance to book?
- 6 Critique my 3 week Balkans Itinerary + Budget
- 7 Please help with Itinerary Draft for Madrid, Andalucia
- 8 Is Capri overrated?
- 9 What's on your Paris wish list?
- 10 Group Transportation in French Riviera
- 11 A week in Paris
- 12 London to Amsterdam via Overnight Ferry - A Weekend Adventure
- 13 Day trips from Budapest and Vienna
- 14 Train des Pignes
- 15 France and Spain in 14 days?
- 16 Ibiza, San Sebastian, Sicily or Nice??
- 17 9 days in switzerland
- 18 Ideas on what to do for Granddaughter's 12th Birthday in London
- 19 First time to London- which luxury hotel
- 20 A Very Brief Report of My Recent Trip to Paris
- 21 Switzerland - Lucerne & 2 nights
- 22 Thinking About Amsterdam
- 23 Nike tennis shoes and leggings
- 24 Which base in the Cotswolds
- 25 North Coast Cornwall Walks