A couple of posters have asked about things to do in Rome. Maybe you all have talked about this before, but here's a post anyway: I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the Torre Argentina cat sanctuary for anyone who loves cats. It's easy to find: Largo di Torre Argenina is just south of the Pantheon; the entrance to the cat sanctuary (go down the steps) is at the SW corner of the archaeological site. (Which, incidentally, contains three visible and one invisible--under the street--Republican era temples, very interesting.) Silvia, Lia, and the volunteers who work at the sanctuary are lovely people, and there are hundreds of cats living in that one city block. You can pet them if they'll let you. (The cats, that is. They keep them healthy--I've never gotten ringworm or anything.) I've been visiting the sanctuary every trip to Rome since 1996, and the good news is that every year the sanctuary receives more press and more awareness from travelers and the community. When I first discovered it (by accident) they didn't even know if they would be allowed to stay there (because of the archaeological site, gov't wanted them to leave). Now things are looking good, and lots of adoptions are made. You can adopt long distance if you don't want to take a kitty home with you. Check out their website: www.romancats.com. They also sell t-shirts now, and gift items, with proceeds going to the sanctuary's upkeep. It's a great cause! I don't have kids but I suspect that those who do would want to take the kids, they'd probably love it.
Cat Sanctuary--Torre Argentina (Rome)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 2 FIRST TRIP TO PARIS/ITALY
- 3 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 4 Majorca - where to stay?
- 5 Basel - Day Trip
- 6 5 days in Florence - how would you do it?
- 7 Driving from London to Scotland.
- 8 Lauterbrunnen area (with baby)
- 9 Beer baths, bears and bespoke cocktails in the Beskydy mountains.
- 10 Spending money in Italy?
- 11 Driving Holiday Austria-Switzerland-Italy/Germany-Austria
- 12 Mailing prescription meds to France?
- 13 Train pass for travel in Italy, France, and Netherlands??
- 14 Thello Train Ticket - Oct 11 - Paris to Venice - "temporarily closed"
- 15 How to make this adventure work?
- 16 There Nights in Venice - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 17 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 18 Moving to Bayswater (London) - How is the neighborhood?
- 19 There Nights in Paris - Lodging, Tour, Places, Language
- 20 There Nights in London - Lodging, Tour, Places
- 21 I went to Paris in June
- 22 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 23 weather and clothes in Paris Aug 2-8
- 24 Base for 6 nights between Fussen and Garmisch Partenkirchen?
- 25 Buying Louis Vuitton Handbag