A couple of posters have asked about things to do in Rome. Maybe you all have talked about this before, but here's a post anyway: I HIGHLY recommend a visit to the Torre Argentina cat sanctuary for anyone who loves cats. It's easy to find: Largo di Torre Argenina is just south of the Pantheon; the entrance to the cat sanctuary (go down the steps) is at the SW corner of the archaeological site. (Which, incidentally, contains three visible and one invisible--under the street--Republican era temples, very interesting.) Silvia, Lia, and the volunteers who work at the sanctuary are lovely people, and there are hundreds of cats living in that one city block. You can pet them if they'll let you. (The cats, that is. They keep them healthy--I've never gotten ringworm or anything.) I've been visiting the sanctuary every trip to Rome since 1996, and the good news is that every year the sanctuary receives more press and more awareness from travelers and the community. When I first discovered it (by accident) they didn't even know if they would be allowed to stay there (because of the archaeological site, gov't wanted them to leave). Now things are looking good, and lots of adoptions are made. You can adopt long distance if you don't want to take a kitty home with you. Check out their website: www.romancats.com. They also sell t-shirts now, and gift items, with proceeds going to the sanctuary's upkeep. It's a great cause! I don't have kids but I suspect that those who do would want to take the kids, they'd probably love it.
Cat Sanctuary--Torre Argentina (Rome)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London Experts - What do you think of this apartment?
- 2 Combinations euro rail and river cruise
- 3 Scotland November 2015
- 4 Luggage storage in Barcelona
- 5 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 6 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 7 Euro Trivia Quiz #12 - Know Your Rivers?
- 8 Itinerary help, England/Wales
- 9 Best Option for London Travelcard?
- 10 Paris to Barcelona by car/train - including Loire/Bordeax/Carcassonne
- 11 Best places to stay in Bristol?
- 12 5 Observations About Paris
- 13 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 14 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 15 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 16 Southern Spain
- 17 Museums in Berlin
- 18 Schengen Visa Rules
- 19 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea
- 20 Recommended overnight stops on Iceland ring road
- 21 2014 Ferry Boat Schedules Salerno/Amalfi/Positano Just Released
- 22 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 23 Switzerland's Iconic Postal Buses...A Whole Different Switzerland!
- 24 3 days and 4 nights in Switzerland
- 25 Neuschwanstein Castle from Zermatt