DH and I, our then- 19 month old son, and my parents will be spending a little over 2 weeks in Italy in late May/early June. This is our 6th trip to Italy (first for our little one!), but we have never driven in Italy. DH and DF (my father) have driven in Germany, Austria, and Greece and are familar with European road rules and are comfortable driving stick shift. All that sad... neither is thrilled at the prospect of picking up the car in Rome and driving out of Rome after our first 4 nights.
When we rent cars in Athens, we always pay a little extra to pick them up at the Athens airport so that the driver can easily hop onto the freeway and avoid driving in Athens itself. Would picking up the car at FCO accomplish the same thing? Alternatively, upon leaving Rome, we were planning to head to either Vitterbo or Orvieto. It looks as though both destinations are easily reached by train, so would it perhaps be less stressful to train there and pick up the cars there?
Many thanks for all your advice. I'm sure the prospect of driving in Rome isn't daunting to many, but when my usually mellow DH and DF both put their foot down about it... I know I best come up with some other alternative .
P.S. The day we would want to pick up the car is May 30th, a Wednesday. I believe we have to check out of our apartment by 10am.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 2 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 3 Barcelona alternative
- 4 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 5 9-10 days beginning with Barcelona Marathon - what to do after?
- 6 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 7 travel to prague, vienna and munich
- 8 God Save the Queen?
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 11 Italy Car Scam
- 12 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 13 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 14 Iceland early december visit
- 15 Paris to Italy
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 18 8 Days in Spain
- 19 9 Days in Spain
- 20 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 21 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 22 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 23 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 24 Milan or Turin
- 25 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice