My family of 6 are planning our first ever trip to anywhere outside of the States in May of 2017 to Ireland. (2 adults, 3 children and 1 infant at that time)
We are not sure yet on our plans as to where we will be flying into yet (Shannon or Dublin) as we haven't decided which area (Northern Ireland or west) we want to see first.
That being said, can we rent a vehicle in either place and then drop off at an alternate airport? Is there more cost involved? Does anyone know if there are issues with going into Northern Ireland and spending a week there with a vehicle from the Republic? Has anyone with a large group similar in size and ages to ours ever just taken a bus from Dublin to N.I. and spent the week there without a rental vehicle? Is a week to long? (We want to see several sites. Dunluce castle, the robe bridge, giants causeway, carrickfergus castle, Belfast, titanic memorial, tolleymoore forest, etc. ) We are planning on just getting a rental house for each week, one for NI and one for the Republic. However we haven't decided on where to pick a rental for NI yet so any suggestions would be welcome.
In the Republic we are planning on staying in Doolin for a week as our base there. We like that it's a small town, that it is so close to everything we plan on doing in that area, and that the pubs at night have such good music/trad sessions. We want to visit a few castles around that area, the cliffs, the Aran Islands, the Burren, a local beach or two, Ennis, and Galway and Conmerrea make great day trips away!
Has anyone ever just done cash in Ireland or is a major credit card advisable? We have been saving for this trip for a few years now and don't know when, if ever, we will be able to go back. I don't want to miss those two main areas. With a rental car, I have heard that some companies will put a hold of upwards of $3,000 us dollars on the card you use. If that's the case I don't even know if we could go because we don't even own a card that has a limit that high. Anyone know of good rental companies for vehicles?
Sorry for the long post but I thank you for your responses.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 2 Germany-Car or Train
- 3 Italy Itinerary Gap to Fill - Alternate Suggestions
- 4 SURPRISE TRIP
- 5 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 6 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 7 Europe's Most Famous Streets?
- 8 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 9 Moderately priced French restaurants in Paris: an update
- 10 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 11 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 12 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 13 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 14 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 15 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 16 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 17 thoughts on my itenerary France and Italy
- 18 Valencia Spain
- 19 Europe for Beginners
- 20 2 Week Europe Itinerary
- 21 Travel from Barcelona to Dordogne
- 22 Porto, Galicia and Asturias (plus Leon) Hotel recommendations (??)
- 23 13 nights in switzerland
- 24 Best daypack ?
- 25 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?