Just going back over one final decision in preparation for our upcoming trip to the Loire Valley from Paris---and would love a quick validation or insight into my plan.
We'll be leaving Paris on a Sunday mid-day, and the car rental agencies are all closed at Tours St Pierre, so we're going to just drive from Paris. (Any other day and I would simply take the TGV to Tours.) (We can both drive a manual so the issue isn't about finding an automatic.)
1) Pick up at Orly or Gare Montparnasse?
Right now, our plan (since we're staying the night before in the 7th) is to simply pick up the car at Gare Montparnasse---and save ourselves the hassle of having to schlepp out to Orly. I typically would be a bit timid about driving in Paris, but this will be a Sunday, around noon, so my hope is there will be little or no traffic to contend with? And it seems (from viamichelin) that it's a fairly easy shot out of Paris. Yay or nay?
2) Diesel or not?
We typically rent a diesel in Europe... we always thought they were cleaner and more fuel efficient. But I have seen in all the news about the pollution problems in Paris that diesels will be banned starting in July. Hmm. So there's that wrinkle. We're traveling in May, so theoretically they won't be banned yet, but I'm wondering if Europcar will even have them. (Or if, environmentally speaking, we should even take one.)
3) Odd/Even Driving Days?
Do you think there's a chance that my Sunday pick up could be affected by the odd/even driving days that the Mayor keeps implementing in response to the smog? Would a rental car, leaving Paris, even be subject to those restrictions? I suppose Europcar could always send me to Orly if we weren't allowed to drive that day, but just wondering if that should be a factor in our decision at this point.
Thanks for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dublin Leap Card
- 2 Vatican City questions
- 3 Which city am i likely to see more skin in? Athens/Prague or Vienna
- 4 3 weeks - Helsinki-Tallinn-Riga-Vilnius - Aug/Sept.
- 5 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 6 Painted Hall in London well worth a visit!!
- 7 Cooking tours 3-4 days June 4 in Northern Italy
- 8 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 9 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 10 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 11 Piedmont as a destination
- 12 dinner jackets
- 13 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 14 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 15 Garda Land
- 16 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 17 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 18 Should we get a Swiss Travel Pass?
- 19 2 weeks Europe trip
- 20 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 21 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 22 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 23 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 24 Cordoba Overnight?
- 25 SPB White Nights boat tours