Just going back over one final decision in preparation for our upcoming trip to the Loire Valley from Paris---and would love a quick validation or insight into my plan.
We'll be leaving Paris on a Sunday mid-day, and the car rental agencies are all closed at Tours St Pierre, so we're going to just drive from Paris. (Any other day and I would simply take the TGV to Tours.) (We can both drive a manual so the issue isn't about finding an automatic.)
1) Pick up at Orly or Gare Montparnasse?
Right now, our plan (since we're staying the night before in the 7th) is to simply pick up the car at Gare Montparnasse---and save ourselves the hassle of having to schlepp out to Orly. I typically would be a bit timid about driving in Paris, but this will be a Sunday, around noon, so my hope is there will be little or no traffic to contend with? And it seems (from viamichelin) that it's a fairly easy shot out of Paris. Yay or nay?
2) Diesel or not?
We typically rent a diesel in Europe... we always thought they were cleaner and more fuel efficient. But I have seen in all the news about the pollution problems in Paris that diesels will be banned starting in July. Hmm. So there's that wrinkle. We're traveling in May, so theoretically they won't be banned yet, but I'm wondering if Europcar will even have them. (Or if, environmentally speaking, we should even take one.)
3) Odd/Even Driving Days?
Do you think there's a chance that my Sunday pick up could be affected by the odd/even driving days that the Mayor keeps implementing in response to the smog? Would a rental car, leaving Paris, even be subject to those restrictions? I suppose Europcar could always send me to Orly if we weren't allowed to drive that day, but just wondering if that should be a factor in our decision at this point.
Thanks for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 2 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 3 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 4 Paris and Normandy
- 5 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 6 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 7 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 8 British Airways - Global Entry - TSA precheck
- 9 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 10 Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
- 11 DUBROVNIK: staying inside oldtown vs Hotel Excelsior/Hilton?
- 12 London in Winter Report
- 13 Santorini Greece - Cooking Lessons
- 14 Spain in September/October:a Good Idea?
- 15 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 16 Airport Transit Visa
- 17 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 18 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 19 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 20 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 21 Paris advice with kids
- 22 Anniversary trip to France
- 23 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 24 Scenic drive Bologna to Lucca?
- 25 Early morning flight Venice/VCE