Thanks for the good advice on here and response to my questions. I've booked all our accommodation - yippee! Now I'm looking at the best options for car hire for our last 7 days. We are leaving Rome 3 July, booked into accommodation on Lake Garda for 7 days until 10 July, then fly out of Milan 10:30 pm that night. The nearest train station to our accommodation is Desenzano.
Would the best thing be to pick up a car at somewhere like Orvieto, and drive to Lake Garda, then return the car maybe to Verona and get the train to Milan Centrale? Or train Rome to Milan, train to Lake Garda/Verona and pick up/return car there? I've suggested Verona as an option because lots of car hire places seem to have offices there, but would look at whatever people recommend.
There will be five of us and when I look at the Trenitalia websites the train tickets out of Rome to that area seem very expensive. We are paying for a car for a week anyway, but I know fuel is expensive so would it work out much the same. On Trenitalia Rome - Verona trips are coming up around 95 euros each per adult.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Germany family road trip help!
- 2 France, UK and Ireland
- 3 Italy and Croatia in 20 days - I need a rough itinerary please
- 4 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 5 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 6 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 7 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 8 Rouen Tour Companies
- 9 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 10 No Periods in British Written English!
- 11 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 12 What do after Bernia Express?
- 13 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 14 Info request: Road Trip Naples to Bari-Part 2
- 15 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 16 First time in London
- 17 One more day in Athens, any suggestions?
- 18 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 19 Self drive tour companies
- 20 scotland
- 21 Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 22 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 23 Ischia
- 24 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 25 Barcelona