Thanks for the good advice on here and response to my questions. I've booked all our accommodation - yippee! Now I'm looking at the best options for car hire for our last 7 days. We are leaving Rome 3 July, booked into accommodation on Lake Garda for 7 days until 10 July, then fly out of Milan 10:30 pm that night. The nearest train station to our accommodation is Desenzano.
Would the best thing be to pick up a car at somewhere like Orvieto, and drive to Lake Garda, then return the car maybe to Verona and get the train to Milan Centrale? Or train Rome to Milan, train to Lake Garda/Verona and pick up/return car there? I've suggested Verona as an option because lots of car hire places seem to have offices there, but would look at whatever people recommend.
There will be five of us and when I look at the Trenitalia websites the train tickets out of Rome to that area seem very expensive. We are paying for a car for a week anyway, but I know fuel is expensive so would it work out much the same. On Trenitalia Rome - Verona trips are coming up around 95 euros each per adult.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spanish Medical Providers
- 2 Christmas Day in Granada
- 3 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 4 Finalized my Summer 2018 Italy Honeymoon Itinerary!
- 5 First, jet lagged day, in Barcelona
- 6 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 7 Schengen Rule
- 8 Quizz !
- 9 Barcelona to Grindenwald area
- 10 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 11 Cyclades w/kids & my ruins-fanatic DH (itin and accommodation advice)
- 12 Zurich to Milan trip
- 13 Ireland - 1 Week Options
- 14 Which car rental company to use in Croatia?
- 15 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 16 Restaurants Barcelona , Seville and Granada
- 17 Ok then, what trip was difficult to organize?
- 18 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 19 Pay attention to your watches !
- 20 Area in Madrid we might be staying
- 21 Base recommendation for Mosel and Rhine
- 22 Venice/Mestre
- 23 No Trains in January Paris to Venice?
- 24 Italy Car Scam
- 25 a group of old friends traveling to croatia