Thanks for the good advice on here and response to my questions. I've booked all our accommodation - yippee! Now I'm looking at the best options for car hire for our last 7 days. We are leaving Rome 3 July, booked into accommodation on Lake Garda for 7 days until 10 July, then fly out of Milan 10:30 pm that night. The nearest train station to our accommodation is Desenzano.
Would the best thing be to pick up a car at somewhere like Orvieto, and drive to Lake Garda, then return the car maybe to Verona and get the train to Milan Centrale? Or train Rome to Milan, train to Lake Garda/Verona and pick up/return car there? I've suggested Verona as an option because lots of car hire places seem to have offices there, but would look at whatever people recommend.
There will be five of us and when I look at the Trenitalia websites the train tickets out of Rome to that area seem very expensive. We are paying for a car for a week anyway, but I know fuel is expensive so would it work out much the same. On Trenitalia Rome - Verona trips are coming up around 95 euros each per adult.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 2 French restaurants
- 3 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 4 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 5 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 6 New Year's Eve in Paris:at the Champs Elysees
- 7 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 8 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 9 Planning a European Trip
- 10 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 11 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 12 France & Italy, May or June
- 13 Ireland travel passport question
- 14 Tuscany 6 nights
- 15 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 16 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 17 Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?
- 18 Scotland - Highlands in May or June?
- 19 San Sebastian
- 20 Charming hotel in a village along the Rhine?
- 21 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 22 Lisbon trip report
- 23 restaurants in Marais district
- 24 Any Lisbon or Porto trip reports?
- 25 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days