I intend to fly in to Dublin, hire a car and tour around Ireland for a couple of weeks. Then ferry across to Wales and drive for another few more days before finishing up in London for a week or so (probably drop car off in Cardiff or the like and train to London).
Anyway, my question is: has anyone hired a car in Dublin and been able to drop a car off in mainland UK? It being a separate country and all.
I've tried a few car hire sites and, while I'm easily able to pick up in Dublin and drop off in Belfast or pick up in Belfast and drop off in Cardiff, I can't pick up in Dublin and drop off in Cardiff (at least it won't let me do it on-line).
I can easily get to Belfast from Dublin airport and start from there, but it is a couple of extra hours on top of a flight from Adelaide and therefore not my preferred option. BTW my only direct flight into Ireland is into Dublin.
Hopefully not too convoluted for y'all, but I'd thought I'd try the collected wisdom of Fodorites before I had to hop on the phone.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 2 Germany train help!
- 3 Hotels for 6 25 year old guys - Paris and London
- 4 Spain in July
- 5 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 6 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 7 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 8 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 9 Meteora for older folk
- 10 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 11 Liverpool & Beatles port tour
- 12 Train help for Prague
- 13 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 14 Athens
- 15 We're here!
- 16 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 17 Petrol in Greece
- 18 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 19 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 20 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 21 Budapest & Prague
- 22 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 23 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 24 Paris day trips August
- 25 Milan to Switzerland for skiing