I intend to fly in to Dublin, hire a car and tour around Ireland for a couple of weeks. Then ferry across to Wales and drive for another few more days before finishing up in London for a week or so (probably drop car off in Cardiff or the like and train to London).
Anyway, my question is: has anyone hired a car in Dublin and been able to drop a car off in mainland UK? It being a separate country and all.
I've tried a few car hire sites and, while I'm easily able to pick up in Dublin and drop off in Belfast or pick up in Belfast and drop off in Cardiff, I can't pick up in Dublin and drop off in Cardiff (at least it won't let me do it on-line).
I can easily get to Belfast from Dublin airport and start from there, but it is a couple of extra hours on top of a flight from Adelaide and therefore not my preferred option. BTW my only direct flight into Ireland is into Dublin.
Hopefully not too convoluted for y'all, but I'd thought I'd try the collected wisdom of Fodorites before I had to hop on the phone.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 2 No Periods in British Written English!
- 3 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 4 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 5 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 6 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 7 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 8 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 9 Madrid/Lisbon
- 10 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 11 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 12 Wine tasting in Granada, Seville without driving
- 13 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 14 Relais Il Canalicchio
- 15 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 16 Oporto
- 17 Sao Miguel, Azores
- 18 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 19 Perugia
- 20 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 21 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 22 Ronda Wine/biking
- 23 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 24 St Denis Cathedral
- 25 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?