I plan to do Milan-Verona-Venice-Florence-Rome during 12 days with my wife and 10 yr old daughter. Was wondering if we should travel inter-city by train or hire a car for the entire duration of our stay. Both will cost more or less the same ~Euro 460 or so. The advantages of train are - faster, no parking issues, no searching for directions/losing our way/fighting with spouse over whose fault it is and probably safer. Car hire - make our own time, no lugging heavy luggage(and my wife does NOT travel light), enjoy the scenary and take pictures of the Italian countryside, take many side trips, see Italy more intimately.
Currently I'm leaning more towards the car hire option though I have never driven in Italy or in any country where they drive on the wrong side of the road, I mean RIGHT side of the road (I'm from India).
Can somebody give me some answers to the following:
How difficult is it to drive in Italy - I've been warned about Italian drivers but being used to Mumbai traffic, how difficult can it be??
My calculations do not include tolls, how much are the toll charges typically in Italy?
How about ferry charges? Google maps shows at least one ferry crossing.
How expensive is parking in Milan / Verona / Venice / Florence / Rome?
Do hotels usually provide parking?
How difficult is it to find aprking esp in Milan and Rome.
Can you hire GPS's along with the car in Italy?
Who should I use to hire a car?
Please tell me if I'm being a fool and should take the easier option of trainitelia.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Puglia and Le Marche
- 2 Trying to pick a Greek Island
- 3 Going to Russia
- 4 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 5 Airport Transfer from Edinburgh Center to Glasgow Airport
- 6 Driving in Corwall-The Nitty Gritty
- 7 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 8 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 9 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 10 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 11 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 12 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 13 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 14 France or Italy town recommendations needed for 3 week stay
- 15 Family first time Barcelona (where and how much ?)
- 16 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 17 Germany/Austria...with a toddler
- 18 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 19 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 20 Suggestions for summer 38 night itinerary with kids and a mom in tow?
- 21 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 22 Edinburgh to Skye
- 23 A Month stay in Southern France
- 24 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 25 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours