I plan to do Milan-Verona-Venice-Florence-Rome during 12 days with my wife and 10 yr old daughter. Was wondering if we should travel inter-city by train or hire a car for the entire duration of our stay. Both will cost more or less the same ~Euro 460 or so. The advantages of train are - faster, no parking issues, no searching for directions/losing our way/fighting with spouse over whose fault it is and probably safer. Car hire - make our own time, no lugging heavy luggage(and my wife does NOT travel light), enjoy the scenary and take pictures of the Italian countryside, take many side trips, see Italy more intimately.
Currently I'm leaning more towards the car hire option though I have never driven in Italy or in any country where they drive on the wrong side of the road, I mean RIGHT side of the road (I'm from India).
Can somebody give me some answers to the following:
How difficult is it to drive in Italy - I've been warned about Italian drivers but being used to Mumbai traffic, how difficult can it be??
My calculations do not include tolls, how much are the toll charges typically in Italy?
How about ferry charges? Google maps shows at least one ferry crossing.
How expensive is parking in Milan / Verona / Venice / Florence / Rome?
Do hotels usually provide parking?
How difficult is it to find aprking esp in Milan and Rome.
Can you hire GPS's along with the car in Italy?
Who should I use to hire a car?
Please tell me if I'm being a fool and should take the easier option of trainitelia.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 2 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 3 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 4 Lake Como AREA questions
- 5 PORTO (???) combine with Galicia??
- 6 Spain - day driver advice
- 7 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 8 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 9 Please help with Carry-on Question--CDG!
- 10 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 11 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 12 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 13 Best walking route Plitvice Lakes
- 14 London with Teens Trip Report
- 15 Bregenzer Festspiele: the opera Carmen
- 16 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 17 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 18 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 19 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 20 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 21 Madrird and Seville
- 22 Greece
- 23 Ludwig Castles
- 24 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 25 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)