I plan to do Milan-Verona-Venice-Florence-Rome during 12 days with my wife and 10 yr old daughter. Was wondering if we should travel inter-city by train or hire a car for the entire duration of our stay. Both will cost more or less the same ~Euro 460 or so. The advantages of train are - faster, no parking issues, no searching for directions/losing our way/fighting with spouse over whose fault it is and probably safer. Car hire - make our own time, no lugging heavy luggage(and my wife does NOT travel light), enjoy the scenary and take pictures of the Italian countryside, take many side trips, see Italy more intimately.
Currently I'm leaning more towards the car hire option though I have never driven in Italy or in any country where they drive on the wrong side of the road, I mean RIGHT side of the road (I'm from India).
Can somebody give me some answers to the following:
How difficult is it to drive in Italy - I've been warned about Italian drivers but being used to Mumbai traffic, how difficult can it be??
My calculations do not include tolls, how much are the toll charges typically in Italy?
How about ferry charges? Google maps shows at least one ferry crossing.
How expensive is parking in Milan / Verona / Venice / Florence / Rome?
Do hotels usually provide parking?
How difficult is it to find aprking esp in Milan and Rome.
Can you hire GPS's along with the car in Italy?
Who should I use to hire a car?
Please tell me if I'm being a fool and should take the easier option of trainitelia.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 2 Paris hotels
- 3 Trek through Eur
- 4 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 5 Budapest in December 2017
- 6 Amsterdam hotels
- 7 Denmark or Sweden?
- 8 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 9 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 10 Europe itinerary questions
- 11 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 12 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 13 London Hotels
- 14 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 15 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 16 We're here!
- 17 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 18 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 19 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 20 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 21 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 22 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 23 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 24 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 25 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt