Good evening everyone
As usual I get home from a much anticipated trip, which was preceded by nonstop reading and daydreaming and questions here, there and everywhere… and then a few months go by and I still haven't gotten my act together on the report. I have been slowly getting through my many photos and if I don't start this report before I finish the photo sort, no doubt I will rack up another couple of trips and fall further behind.
So without much ado, here are highlights from my trip in May. I'll put a few photo links in this first post, but since the sorting isn't done the main photo links will come later.
Top ten photos from each destination - the top ten will change as I sort photos and update the photos in the below links, but for now, current state, my favorites:
Pompeii and Herculaneum:
Pathway of the Gods/Nocelle:
Here is my main question thread, started before my trip:
To quickly answer my own questions found in the above thread:
I stayed in Capri, not Anacapri. For a three night trip that seemed perfect because most of my walks were on that side of the island and I covered a lot of ground. Hiking is quite easy on the eastern side, you simply need a decent pair of shoes. I even walked to the Faraglioni in flip flops.
I missed the Blue Grotto this time and didn't lose sleep over it. What I did see was so beautiful it surely made up for it. Lunch amid the Faraglioni? What can top that?
I found a great local guide in Positano (more on Lucia later).
No car and I'm just as glad I didn't bother - parking would have been a drag and it's nice to sit back and let someone else drive you. The drivers knew where to stop for good photo opps, they hung out while you did your sightseeing, they even had good lunch recommendations (my Pompeii day). Not cheap - I spent somewhere around 900 bucks on drivers/tips but a car wouldn't have been much cheaper and I'd still have to park it. Plus you have to ride a SITA bus at least once on your visit - it's part of the fun!
My final night was in Naples, not Sorrento. Great location right on the water (Hotel Excelsior). It was a gorgeous day and I walked all over, including home from dinner after dark - from the Spanish Quarter. You always seem to hear "Naples" and "crime" in the same sentence but I felt perfectly safe.
My Ravello time was short - I had four hours with my driver to Ravello including getting there and back from Positano and I did OK with that. Longer is better but the day I chose had a lot of cloud cover so I didn't get those stunning views anyway.
To be continued (yes! there's more!)...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 CENAZ airport shuttle - Prague?
- 4 Vienna to Budapest via Bratislava stopover
- 5 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 6 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 7 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 8 Language to use in Belgium
- 9 Base for hiking in Lower Engadine
- 10 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 11 Looking for recommendation for lodging in NAXOS, GREECE
- 12 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 13 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 14 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 15 Whistle stop family road trip
- 16 Cab cost from Tegel/ Germany/ to Charlottenstrasse
- 17 The DCC scam is spreading
- 18 ATM by Budapest Nuygati TS
- 19 Best hotel other than Sirenuse in Positano for honeymoon?
- 20 Weather and clothes in Sakzkammergut in August
- 21 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 22 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 23 Lake Como,Italy
- 24 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 25 Andalucia Spain
Capri, Positano, and Naples trip report, plus photos (May 2013)
Good evening everyone