Good evening everyone
As usual I get home from a much anticipated trip, which was preceded by nonstop reading and daydreaming and questions here, there and everywhere… and then a few months go by and I still haven't gotten my act together on the report. I have been slowly getting through my many photos and if I don't start this report before I finish the photo sort, no doubt I will rack up another couple of trips and fall further behind.
So without much ado, here are highlights from my trip in May. I'll put a few photo links in this first post, but since the sorting isn't done the main photo links will come later.
Top ten photos from each destination - the top ten will change as I sort photos and update the photos in the below links, but for now, current state, my favorites:
Pompeii and Herculaneum:
Pathway of the Gods/Nocelle:
Here is my main question thread, started before my trip:
To quickly answer my own questions found in the above thread:
I stayed in Capri, not Anacapri. For a three night trip that seemed perfect because most of my walks were on that side of the island and I covered a lot of ground. Hiking is quite easy on the eastern side, you simply need a decent pair of shoes. I even walked to the Faraglioni in flip flops.
I missed the Blue Grotto this time and didn't lose sleep over it. What I did see was so beautiful it surely made up for it. Lunch amid the Faraglioni? What can top that?
I found a great local guide in Positano (more on Lucia later).
No car and I'm just as glad I didn't bother - parking would have been a drag and it's nice to sit back and let someone else drive you. The drivers knew where to stop for good photo opps, they hung out while you did your sightseeing, they even had good lunch recommendations (my Pompeii day). Not cheap - I spent somewhere around 900 bucks on drivers/tips but a car wouldn't have been much cheaper and I'd still have to park it. Plus you have to ride a SITA bus at least once on your visit - it's part of the fun!
My final night was in Naples, not Sorrento. Great location right on the water (Hotel Excelsior). It was a gorgeous day and I walked all over, including home from dinner after dark - from the Spanish Quarter. You always seem to hear "Naples" and "crime" in the same sentence but I felt perfectly safe.
My Ravello time was short - I had four hours with my driver to Ravello including getting there and back from Positano and I did OK with that. Longer is better but the day I chose had a lot of cloud cover so I didn't get those stunning views anyway.
To be continued (yes! there's more!)...
Capri, Positano, and Naples trip report, plus photos (May 2013)
Good evening everyone
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Reviews on Adriatic Travel Agency?
- 2 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 3 No points in Paris .....
- 4 Greece--Crete or Peloponnis?
- 5 Urgent Spanish visa dilemma
- 6 Vantage Deluxe World Travel - Russia
- 7 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 8 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 9 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 10 Prague, Budapest & Croatia +Krakow?
- 11 best time to book accommodation
- 12 Need help making VIP seat reservations on Golden Pass train
- 13 Stay near Paris
- 14 Tentative itinerary for Andalucia for April/May 2015
- 15 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 16 Sicily - not a trip report
- 17 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 18 Chip but no PIN
- 19 Italy and France in 20 Days
- 20 Questions for my German friends
- 21 Springtime in Paris with lots of restaurant reviews and a bit of Alsace
- 22 Puglia planning - where to base, how long to spend
- 23 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 24 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 25 1 week in Switzerland with 18 year old son