I have been poring through all the posts and reports on Turkey to better plan our upcoming trip. They have been SO helpful.
Some questions remain.
Background: Family of four, two teens, trip is in late March.
We are booked for 6 days in Istanbul to start (apartment in Sultanahmet)
Thinking of flying to Cappadocia (Goreme) from Istanbul and staying 4 days - hiking etc. We might drive as cost of flights for four people does add up - even with discount airlines. I am not sure we can afford balloon rides. Wow they are expensive for 4 people....and will 4 days in a cave room be too much? (Vineyard or Taskonak)
This leaves us 6 days. THinking of renting a car and driving to the coast. But where and which route?
Ideally we would like to end in a sunny warm spot with some cultural interest, good walking, good food, perhaps wildlife. (I know it's not beach weather yet but just to sit out in sunshine would be lovely before heading back to Canada). Not in a big concrete beach resort. Looked at Cirali but that might be too far off track given our time, and perhaps not as warm as other spots. We like to spend more time in one place rather than rushing around to several.
Our flight home is late afternoon from Istanbul. Debating driving that day from somewhere further up the coast. Having said that I don't think we really want to see Pammukkale and on the fence about Ephesus. Would love to see it if nearby.
Appreciate any tips. It is such a huge country it is hard to narrow down. I am even considering dropping Cappadocia if this would provide a more leisurely coastal trip - starting out of Istanbul and only using a car. Is this a bad idea? Just seems like we are travelling huge distances within one country. I have travelled a lot in Southwestern USA (Bryce Canyon, Grand Canyon, etc) and not sure Cappadocia will be that significantly different for the time and cost involved in getting there. Clearly the churches and museums there will be amazing, I am referring to the hiking and natural landscape. I know once there I will enjoy but also worried about weather at that time.
Sorry for so many questions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My niece wants a one week student tour
- 2 Andalusia itinerary comments & advice please!
- 3 England, Ireland, and France. What can I see in two weeks?
- 4 Help in determining 2 weeks in Florence, Rome, and TBD location(??)
- 5 Second thoughts about pour Germany trip...help me !
- 6 London Itinerary - Late Summer
- 7 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 8 Car hire Uk/Ireland
- 9 Public Transportation in Vienna: Borderline Organized Crime
- 10 10 days in Italy - Suggestions?
- 11 Lake Maggiore
- 12 Despite the fact that according to my amigos private
- 13 Bootcut jeans
- 14 Validating train tickets - Germany, Switzwerland
- 15 Cadiz during Carnival? Other suggestions...
- 16 Honeymoon Plans London+Paris+??April-May
- 17 Amsterdam Transit
- 18 Pakistani on tourist visa in UK, where can I travel outside UK?
- 19 Kings Day in Amsterdam, local travel?
- 20 Doobie in Amsterdam
- 21 UK train question
- 22 Power Pump XL Reviews - Free Trail Available
- 23 Day trip suggestion from London
- 24 St Mont Michel, how much time do I need
- 25 Day Trip near Paris