We had to wake up at 6 am because our TGV train from Paris to Cannes left at 7:46. We packed the night before so getting out in the morning was no big deal. The high speed train was nice. It had two floors and we had plenty of leg room. We caught a little bit of sleep and also some some beautiful scenary in Avignon and Toulon along the way. We also passed by Marsaille which did not look that pleasing to the eye. When we arrived in Cannes, Hotel Splendid was not too far from the train station. We had an awesome room that overlooked the sea and the yacht harbor and we had a terrace with two chairs and a table. Our room itself was very nice with built in closests and I loved the way it was decorated and the colors that they used. We then took a stroll on the famous Blvd. Croissette. The beaches and the sea were spectacular, however I do have to say that I did not find Cannes to be jaw dropping. I thought many of the modern buildings looked like they needed sprucing up and many of the buidlings still had that 80's feel to it. I bet that Cannes was the place to be in the 80's! Some of the people looked like they had been in the sun way too long with their bright red lipstick and leathery skin and their designer clothes from the 60's. I didn't get that upscale feeling even with all those designer storefronts lining the blvd. Perhaps I was judging Cannes too quickly?? We went and had lunch at Be De la Croisette which was beachside and we enjoyed the sea breeze and our club sandwhiches. We then laid out for a few hours at the beach. The water was freezing, but refreshing. We then went back to the hotel and rested for a bit and I wanted to go back and read some of my Fodors guidebook. I was determined to find a part of Cannes that had that charming French feel. After following some Fodorites suggesstions, we went to the old town part of Cannes of Suquet Hill and I found what I was looking for! So quaint, charming, cobblestone streets, and bourganvilla everywhere! Just gorgeous. I loved the winding narrow streets and we found an amazing spot uphill that was actually a church - Eglise Notre Dame. It actually had a medieval look to it and was a wonderful spot to take some pictures because we could see all of Cannes and the sea! This was the Cannes I was dreaming about. We came down the hill and stumbled across the most adorable little street called Rue St. Antoine, which triggered my memory because a Fodorite recommended it. Some of the restaurants smelled marvelous. I am hoping we can go back there for dinner. Unfortunately, I left my sunglasses on one of the ledges and now I have to go buy a pair of new ones. We headed back to the hotel to get some rest since it was a long traveling day. I forgot to mention we saw our first topless woman. Very European. Good night.....
Cannes and Eze - is 80's glam back?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 2 VISA question
- 3 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 4 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 5 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 6 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 7 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 8 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 9 France,Spain,Italy
- 10 Which european city?
- 11 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 12 Schengen Visa Rules
- 13 Rome or Stockholm - PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND
- 14 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 15 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 16 What to do and what to see in Moscow in February?
- 17 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 18 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 19 N Ireland / Ireland driving
- 20 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 21 Scotland November 2015
- 22 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 23 Five Nights in Budapest: A Quick Winter Getaway
- 24 All Set To Go!!
- 25 Since Paris is ALWAYS good idea