Ok, I've done this for the last couple of years, and always vacuum packed, but I have never declared it and have always sweated bullets until I've cleared customs. I know I should just declare it, but I've seen people being pulled out of line, never to be seen again, if they've declared any "food" items. The last time I did this, I swore I would never do it again. But now that my cheese is almost gone from my March trip, I'm beginning to rethink my vow to never do it again. I would love to go back to Volpetti in Rome when I'm there in Sept. and bring back some more of that wonderful Pecorino Romano and other delicious cheeses. I actually looked it up in my little immigration rule book that I got with my Nexus card so I can go back and forth across the Canadian border with no hassles, and I still cannot find a definitive answer to this question. I'm pretty sure bringing back hard cheeses that have been vacuumed pack is ok. But, if you do declare it and if they do ask you about it, are you hassled? Do you have to go through a different kind of inspection? Please all you cheese lovers who bring back cheese too - let me know your experiences. I would love to bring back some of those yummy sausages and salami, but I do know that's a no no.
Can I Legally Bring Cheese back from Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy, mid May, 10 days, Rome + another city?
- 2 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 3 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 4 Capri 5 star hotel Tiberio Palace or Capri Palace with teen daughters
- 5 2 weeks Bavaria - December 2015
- 6 Help!! which tour company is the best for group tours in Italy?
- 7 Paris-Loire-Avignon-Barcelona itinerary (help)
- 8 Siena - Pienza - Montepulciano
- 9 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 10 Minimalist wardrobe for Europe
- 11 The Ghost of Christmas Future visited me..."Lead On"! Paris again...at Christmas.
- 12 France,Spain,Italy
- 13 Scotland November 2015
- 14 Which european city?
- 15 Bus Service Between Spoleto and Norcia
- 16 Hotel or B&B Recommendations for Chamonix, Lyon & Paris
- 17 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 18 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 19 Trip to Central and Eastern Europe Aug 2015 (3-9 months)
- 20 VISA question
- 21 Taxi or Tube from LHR to Gloucester Road Tube?
- 22 Schengen Visa Rules
- 23 Rome or Stockholm - PLEASE HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND
- 24 What to do and what to see in Moscow in February?
- 25 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015