Ok, I've done this for the last couple of years, and always vacuum packed, but I have never declared it and have always sweated bullets until I've cleared customs. I know I should just declare it, but I've seen people being pulled out of line, never to be seen again, if they've declared any "food" items. The last time I did this, I swore I would never do it again. But now that my cheese is almost gone from my March trip, I'm beginning to rethink my vow to never do it again. I would love to go back to Volpetti in Rome when I'm there in Sept. and bring back some more of that wonderful Pecorino Romano and other delicious cheeses. I actually looked it up in my little immigration rule book that I got with my Nexus card so I can go back and forth across the Canadian border with no hassles, and I still cannot find a definitive answer to this question. I'm pretty sure bringing back hard cheeses that have been vacuumed pack is ok. But, if you do declare it and if they do ask you about it, are you hassled? Do you have to go through a different kind of inspection? Please all you cheese lovers who bring back cheese too - let me know your experiences. I would love to bring back some of those yummy sausages and salami, but I do know that's a no no.
Can I Legally Bring Cheese back from Italy
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Chambermaid tipping
- 2 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 3 Stories from London, France, Italy & more - Trip Report
- 4 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 5 Trulli Foodie Puglia-two weeks to eat through!!!
- 6 Popping in and out of Ireland
- 7 Costa del Sol (Spain) versus Cote d Azur (France) ??
- 8 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 9 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 10 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 11 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 12 Apartments in Rome
- 13 Is there a Morning Ferry from Mykonos to Paros in late May on a Friday?
- 14 Which travel plan?
- 15 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 16 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 17 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 18 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 19 Advantages and Disadvantages of Visiting Turkey At This Time
- 20 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 21 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 22 London for Christmas
- 23 To Paris and Provence in June
- 24 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 25 Home from Rome - a trip report