Ok, I've done this for the last couple of years, and always vacuum packed, but I have never declared it and have always sweated bullets until I've cleared customs. I know I should just declare it, but I've seen people being pulled out of line, never to be seen again, if they've declared any "food" items. The last time I did this, I swore I would never do it again. But now that my cheese is almost gone from my March trip, I'm beginning to rethink my vow to never do it again. I would love to go back to Volpetti in Rome when I'm there in Sept. and bring back some more of that wonderful Pecorino Romano and other delicious cheeses. I actually looked it up in my little immigration rule book that I got with my Nexus card so I can go back and forth across the Canadian border with no hassles, and I still cannot find a definitive answer to this question. I'm pretty sure bringing back hard cheeses that have been vacuumed pack is ok. But, if you do declare it and if they do ask you about it, are you hassled? Do you have to go through a different kind of inspection? Please all you cheese lovers who bring back cheese too - let me know your experiences. I would love to bring back some of those yummy sausages and salami, but I do know that's a no no.
Can I Legally Bring Cheese back from Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Air pollution in Paris
- 2 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 3 Switzerland to Ban Eating Cats and Dogs?
- 4 Does cinque terre merit three days
- 5 Info requested for Paris, Strasbourg and Berlin
- 6 Dublin to Armagh?
- 7 Trains in Italy
- 8 Euro Quiz #3 - Europe's Ten Biggest Castles...
- 9 Which European Countries Speak the Most English?
- 10 Naxos in May
- 11 London, Paris, Rome Trip Report
- 12 England and Scotland
- 13 Solo Scotland May 2014
- 14 1 Month Europe (June 2015) with 3 children, ages 6-11
- 15 Iceland: How to Split Up 7 Days self-drive
- 16 No Starbucks in Italy?
- 17 27-DAY ODYSSEY IN THE ALPS with 3 FINAL DAYS IN PARIS
- 18 Another Trip of Discovery of Feminine Charm with DW and DD the Younger
- 19 Budapest to Berlin by Train - Tickets on DB BAHN not available for 05 Jan
- 20 Euro Geography Quiz #2 - How Well Do You Know Europe?
- 21 connecting flight to marseille or not
- 22 rent phone and 3g wifi
- 23 San Marino - The world's smallest country
- 24 Beaune to Chamonix to Paris---driving/train?
- 25 France, Italy and Greec