Ok, I've done this for the last couple of years, and always vacuum packed, but I have never declared it and have always sweated bullets until I've cleared customs. I know I should just declare it, but I've seen people being pulled out of line, never to be seen again, if they've declared any "food" items. The last time I did this, I swore I would never do it again. But now that my cheese is almost gone from my March trip, I'm beginning to rethink my vow to never do it again. I would love to go back to Volpetti in Rome when I'm there in Sept. and bring back some more of that wonderful Pecorino Romano and other delicious cheeses. I actually looked it up in my little immigration rule book that I got with my Nexus card so I can go back and forth across the Canadian border with no hassles, and I still cannot find a definitive answer to this question. I'm pretty sure bringing back hard cheeses that have been vacuumed pack is ok. But, if you do declare it and if they do ask you about it, are you hassled? Do you have to go through a different kind of inspection? Please all you cheese lovers who bring back cheese too - let me know your experiences. I would love to bring back some of those yummy sausages and salami, but I do know that's a no no.
Can I Legally Bring Cheese back from Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 2 Connecting with forum locals in Paris
- 3 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 4 Croatia: Advice on 6 day itinery
- 5 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 6 what to bring to Finland - gifts from California
- 7 Fashion for larger man?
- 8 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 9 London 2nd time around
- 10 Overnight bus from Cappadocia to Pamukkale
- 11 Traveling in France by train
- 12 A little help needed for Dordogne area
- 13 Interesting markets to visit in Paris
- 14 Best website to book tickets for Uffizi Gallery Florence
- 15 Must see in Dubrovnik
- 16 Fine-tuning a 30 day stay in Switzerland June 2014
- 17 Trip report:Vienna,Graz,Lake district,Salzburg,Wachau,Prague,Munich.
- 18 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 19 Athens-Paros-Santorini Trip Itinerary
- 20 How much time to allow between flights at Athens airport?
- 21 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 22 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 23 100 Great things to do in Paris
- 24 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 25 Sicily - not a trip report