Ok, I've done this for the last couple of years, and always vacuum packed, but I have never declared it and have always sweated bullets until I've cleared customs. I know I should just declare it, but I've seen people being pulled out of line, never to be seen again, if they've declared any "food" items. The last time I did this, I swore I would never do it again. But now that my cheese is almost gone from my March trip, I'm beginning to rethink my vow to never do it again. I would love to go back to Volpetti in Rome when I'm there in Sept. and bring back some more of that wonderful Pecorino Romano and other delicious cheeses. I actually looked it up in my little immigration rule book that I got with my Nexus card so I can go back and forth across the Canadian border with no hassles, and I still cannot find a definitive answer to this question. I'm pretty sure bringing back hard cheeses that have been vacuumed pack is ok. But, if you do declare it and if they do ask you about it, are you hassled? Do you have to go through a different kind of inspection? Please all you cheese lovers who bring back cheese too - let me know your experiences. I would love to bring back some of those yummy sausages and salami, but I do know that's a no no.
Can I Legally Bring Cheese back from Italy
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lakes District UK
- 2 Tentative 2 week itinerary for Paris
- 3 Rome to Vienna in 5 Nights. Suggestions welcome!
- 4 Is this the right way<>?
- 5 Solo in Paris for a month: Help me decide on Side Trips
- 6 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 7 Itinerary advise needed
- 8 4 weeks in the UK
- 9 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 10 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 11 Italy 14 days
- 12 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 13 Kimhe--flamenco
- 14 Working Holiday in Germany
- 15 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 16 Does Roma Pass covers free admission to Colosseum ?
- 17 Provence in November
- 18 Rome Areas to stay
- 19 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 20 When to go to Sicily
- 21 Any recommended shops on Rue du Cherche Midi? Or nearby?
- 22 Wengen to Torino?
- 23 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 24 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 25 Life Jackets on Gondolas in Venice?