Here is my situation:
I will be studying in Paris for the next 8 months, and I will also be teaching English part-time.
I have an iPhone 4s with Verizon, purchased the $25 per month data roaming plan (for a whopping 100MB) and calling to the US or to France will cost $0.99 per minute. I need a more efficient way to communicate with fellow students in France, my employers or anybody who will want to contact me while I'm in France.
I have downloaded an app called Pinger, that has assigned me a separate US phone number and I can use that to text/call for free to the US over Wi-Fi or data network. (I also know of Skype and Google Voice). So I'm all set to call/text to the US. However, I would love to find an app, or some way that I can get a French phone number (similar to what Pinger, Textfree and other apps do, but in France) forwarded to my iphone so that I can text (hopefully call as well) French phones without being charged or charging the people I am texting.
I don't know if this is possible, but I would love any suggestions! Also, I would like to avoid purchasing another French phone if possible. I did this when I studied abroad for my undergrad, and found it to be a pain to carry two phones. Would love to put that expensive iphone to use! (without unlocking it!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 2 Trip Report - 19 Days in Portugal
- 3 Bordeaux, la Rochelle, Toulouse & Garonne-by bike, self-drive boat & car
- 4 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 5 London Restaurants
- 6 Transportation Question Italy
- 7 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 8 Cinqueterre
- 9 Germany deregistration
- 10 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 11 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 12 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 13 One day in Lille, France
- 14 Short trip through Andalusia - help w/ 2 itinerary choices
- 15 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 16 Train from Charles de Gaulle
- 17 Corsica
- 18 CDG to Marais transfer
- 19 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 20 London best location
- 21 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 22 Croatia with trips to Mostar & Bay of Kotar
- 23 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 24 Ger's September 2014 Trip Report to Galicia and Portugal
- 25 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges