Here is my situation:
I will be studying in Paris for the next 8 months, and I will also be teaching English part-time.
I have an iPhone 4s with Verizon, purchased the $25 per month data roaming plan (for a whopping 100MB) and calling to the US or to France will cost $0.99 per minute. I need a more efficient way to communicate with fellow students in France, my employers or anybody who will want to contact me while I'm in France.
I have downloaded an app called Pinger, that has assigned me a separate US phone number and I can use that to text/call for free to the US over Wi-Fi or data network. (I also know of Skype and Google Voice). So I'm all set to call/text to the US. However, I would love to find an app, or some way that I can get a French phone number (similar to what Pinger, Textfree and other apps do, but in France) forwarded to my iphone so that I can text (hopefully call as well) French phones without being charged or charging the people I am texting.
I don't know if this is possible, but I would love any suggestions! Also, I would like to avoid purchasing another French phone if possible. I did this when I studied abroad for my undergrad, and found it to be a pain to carry two phones. Would love to put that expensive iphone to use! (without unlocking it!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 2 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 3 Fifty Years Later, Paris
- 4 Another tipping question: concierges
- 5 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 6 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 7 Black hair stylists or braids in Barcelona
- 8 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 9 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 10 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 13 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 14 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 15 Summer Travel order
- 16 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 17 Trip suggestion
- 18 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 19 Dijon in December!
- 20 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 21 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 22 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 23 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 24 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 25 Overnight trip from Barcelona