Here is my situation:
I will be studying in Paris for the next 8 months, and I will also be teaching English part-time.
I have an iPhone 4s with Verizon, purchased the $25 per month data roaming plan (for a whopping 100MB) and calling to the US or to France will cost $0.99 per minute. I need a more efficient way to communicate with fellow students in France, my employers or anybody who will want to contact me while I'm in France.
I have downloaded an app called Pinger, that has assigned me a separate US phone number and I can use that to text/call for free to the US over Wi-Fi or data network. (I also know of Skype and Google Voice). So I'm all set to call/text to the US. However, I would love to find an app, or some way that I can get a French phone number (similar to what Pinger, Textfree and other apps do, but in France) forwarded to my iphone so that I can text (hopefully call as well) French phones without being charged or charging the people I am texting.
I don't know if this is possible, but I would love any suggestions! Also, I would like to avoid purchasing another French phone if possible. I did this when I studied abroad for my undergrad, and found it to be a pain to carry two phones. Would love to put that expensive iphone to use! (without unlocking it!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 2 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 3 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 4 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 5 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 6 Font-de-Gaume - too overweight?
- 7 Zadar or Sibenik
- 8 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 9 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 10 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 11 Cars, etc. in Florence, Bologna
- 12 Best road from Tubingen to Lindau Bodensee
- 13 Store luggage in Rome for a few hours
- 14 Best way to get around Scotland w/out a rental car??
- 15 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 16 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 17 A litle of the UK, some of Belgium and a bit more France.
- 18 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 19 Day trips from Venice and Rome
- 20 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 21 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 22 National Museum in Krakow; Auschwitz art
- 23 Beauty of Bruges and Brussels
- 24 B&Bs in Ireland
- 25 Croatia, Slovenia & Bosnia Itinerary Feedback