I've posted a couple of questions about a trip to Europe for next summer but I don't think I've been specific enough, so here goes hopefully a better attempt.
I want to do a challenging multi-day hike next year, preferably in the Alps, but am open to ideas. I have picked the Alps because I have fallen in love with the romance of Mont Blanc from images and stories of others. However, this year I did some hiking in the Dolomites - in the Val Gardena area - so I do know that height is not the only qualifier for awesome. I would definitely consider the Dolomites again but only if I was doing a via ferrata as I want more challenge than single day valley hikes next time.
I also would like to see Slovenia and Croatia but whatever I do I just want to find some water after the hiking week and also would like a city to explore at some stage.
My trip will be four weeks and I come from Australia.
1. do you have recommendations on week-long hiking routes in the Alps that include challenge (I would like to hike for more than 3-4 hours a day - up to 7 or more)
2. Have you heard of this route:
3. What are your thoughts on height of mountains? Does it matter for challenge, beauty etc?
4. I would like to do the Alps from the Italian side but am open to ideas. I would consider France, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia or even Germany.
5. Does anyone have ideas for the itinerary before/after the hiking based on my priorities above?
6. Is it a silly idea to do the Alps and then get to Slovenia/Croatia? The reason I would like to do this is because this year I saw Spain, France and Italy and I guess I feel like I should expand my cultural horizons. When you come from Australia you're never sure when you'll be back!
7. My budget for this trip would be well under €6000 if possible, including flights which cost around €1300. Is this doable? (I spent a lot more than that in six weeks this year but I didn't hold back and shopped a lot too!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 2 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 3 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 6 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 7 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 8 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 9 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 10 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 11 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 12 visiting #hallstatt #Austria
- 13 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 14 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 15 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 16 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 17 Questions about Polish sights
- 18 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 19 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 20 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 21 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 22 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 23 Ireland travel passport question
- 24 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 25 Greece-Paros or Meteora