I've posted a couple of questions about a trip to Europe for next summer but I don't think I've been specific enough, so here goes hopefully a better attempt.
I want to do a challenging multi-day hike next year, preferably in the Alps, but am open to ideas. I have picked the Alps because I have fallen in love with the romance of Mont Blanc from images and stories of others. However, this year I did some hiking in the Dolomites - in the Val Gardena area - so I do know that height is not the only qualifier for awesome. I would definitely consider the Dolomites again but only if I was doing a via ferrata as I want more challenge than single day valley hikes next time.
I also would like to see Slovenia and Croatia but whatever I do I just want to find some water after the hiking week and also would like a city to explore at some stage.
My trip will be four weeks and I come from Australia.
1. do you have recommendations on week-long hiking routes in the Alps that include challenge (I would like to hike for more than 3-4 hours a day - up to 7 or more)
2. Have you heard of this route:
3. What are your thoughts on height of mountains? Does it matter for challenge, beauty etc?
4. I would like to do the Alps from the Italian side but am open to ideas. I would consider France, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia or even Germany.
5. Does anyone have ideas for the itinerary before/after the hiking based on my priorities above?
6. Is it a silly idea to do the Alps and then get to Slovenia/Croatia? The reason I would like to do this is because this year I saw Spain, France and Italy and I guess I feel like I should expand my cultural horizons. When you come from Australia you're never sure when you'll be back!
7. My budget for this trip would be well under €6000 if possible, including flights which cost around €1300. Is this doable? (I spent a lot more than that in six weeks this year but I didn't hold back and shopped a lot too!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy in a week
- 2 Varenna to hotel near Milan airport
- 3 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 4 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 5 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 6 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 7 3 days in Paris then on to London what do we have to see?
- 8 What are your favorite restaurants in Prague? (+itinerary critique)
- 9 Amsterdam and Antwerp?
- 10 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 11 first time for teens in spain-barcelona and where else?
- 12 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 13 My special places in Europe
- 14 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 15 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 16 Bologna, Modena or Parma for a base?
- 17 Weather in Budapest in late September
- 18 Provence, Strasbourg, Paris early September
- 19 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 20 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 21 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
- 22 Travelling with Vueling?
- 23 Night Bus?
- 24 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 25 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip