I am trying to decide if I should buy my train tickets ahead of time on trenitalia or wait and buy them at a TI when in Italy. I will be in Italy in August, so it will be crowded on trains, I'm assuming. I am looking at tickets for Venice- Florence and then Florence -Rome. The pros of buying ahead are convenience as I don't have to find a TI and buy tickets when I have limited time, can pick seats, will be assured of getting a reservation, etc. Cons are I have to choose an exact time for travel.
If I buy a base fare ahead of time, is it easy to change the time of my ticket if I want to? How do I do this? At a TI or at train station? Or is it easier to just buy a ticketless ticket at trenitalia while in Italy? Reason: I will have a better idea of when I want to leave each city when I am in the city. For example, I only have 1.5 days in Venice, so I may want to leave for Florence later in the day instead of earlier.
I've also thought about buying the mini fares (40 percent savings), but not sure I want to be locked into a specific departures time. Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 2 Train travel to and from Paris
- 3 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 4 Spain, Portugal trip planning
- 5 Bruges, Ghent or Brussels?
- 6 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 7 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 8 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 9 Driving in Italy
- 10 Norway for 1 week, ideas for planning
- 11 One week road trip Santiago de Compostela-Lisbon itinerary advice needed
- 12 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 13 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 14 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 15 Three Weeks in Italy - So Excited!
- 16 Use of Train Tickets
- 17 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 18 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 19 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 20 First Trip to Paris
- 21 Andalucia Spain
- 22 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 23 Naxos experts - pros and cons of Kymata vs. Agios Prokopios Hotel
- 24 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 25 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
Buy train ticket for travel in Italy online or wait and buy one at a TI?