I am trying to decide if I should buy my train tickets ahead of time on trenitalia or wait and buy them at a TI when in Italy. I will be in Italy in August, so it will be crowded on trains, I'm assuming. I am looking at tickets for Venice- Florence and then Florence -Rome. The pros of buying ahead are convenience as I don't have to find a TI and buy tickets when I have limited time, can pick seats, will be assured of getting a reservation, etc. Cons are I have to choose an exact time for travel.
If I buy a base fare ahead of time, is it easy to change the time of my ticket if I want to? How do I do this? At a TI or at train station? Or is it easier to just buy a ticketless ticket at trenitalia while in Italy? Reason: I will have a better idea of when I want to leave each city when I am in the city. For example, I only have 1.5 days in Venice, so I may want to leave for Florence later in the day instead of earlier.
I've also thought about buying the mini fares (40 percent savings), but not sure I want to be locked into a specific departures time. Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bouldering in Fountainebleau
- 2 Portugal by Train or Car?
- 3 Leather goods in Florence
- 4 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 5 UZES & NIMES OR Orange & Châteauneuf du Pape
- 6 Trip to Rome
- 7 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 8 France Itinerary Advice
- 9 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 10 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 11 Torre Sponda apartments in Positano- anyone familiar?
- 12 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 13 Should I book my own guide for the Lourve and Versaille?
- 14 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 15 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 16 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 17 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 18 French election
- 19 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 20 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 21 Moving Around Amalfi without a car
- 22 Advice on apartment in Spain and location
- 23 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 24 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 25 French Election - Questions???
Buy train ticket for travel in Italy online or wait and buy one at a TI?