I am trying to decide if I should buy my train tickets ahead of time on trenitalia or wait and buy them at a TI when in Italy. I will be in Italy in August, so it will be crowded on trains, I'm assuming. I am looking at tickets for Venice- Florence and then Florence -Rome. The pros of buying ahead are convenience as I don't have to find a TI and buy tickets when I have limited time, can pick seats, will be assured of getting a reservation, etc. Cons are I have to choose an exact time for travel.
If I buy a base fare ahead of time, is it easy to change the time of my ticket if I want to? How do I do this? At a TI or at train station? Or is it easier to just buy a ticketless ticket at trenitalia while in Italy? Reason: I will have a better idea of when I want to leave each city when I am in the city. For example, I only have 1.5 days in Venice, so I may want to leave for Florence later in the day instead of earlier.
I've also thought about buying the mini fares (40 percent savings), but not sure I want to be locked into a specific departures time. Thoughts?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 2 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 3 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 4 Black hair stylists or braids in Barcelona
- 5 Summer Travel order
- 6 Travel insurance for Dutch residents question
- 7 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 8 Trip suggestion
- 9 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 10 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 11 Dijon in December!
- 12 5 Day trip with wife & teens - Nice to Paris
- 13 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 14 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 15 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 16 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 17 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 18 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 19 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 20 Copenhagen to Stockholm
- 21 Swiss Travel Pass
- 22 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 23 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 24 Another tipping question: concierges
- 25 24 hours in Zurich
Buy train ticket for travel in Italy online or wait and buy one at a TI?