I just returned from a vacation to York and Edinburgh (some trip notes to come soon).
I remember seeing buskers on my last trip in 2010 to Edinburgh. I don't remember seeing people straight begging (sitting on sidewalk with cardboard sign). I saw one in York and 4-5 in Edinburgh.
Most of the Edinburgh folk who were straight begging also had dogs with them. One dog held a cap in his teeth. The others just slept.
I was really uncomfortable with the dog holding the cap. Yes, it attracted me to want to donate. I did not like how thin the dog was (complete skin-and-bones, no, but definitely on very thin side). I ended up walking on, not sure what to do, and uncomfortable with both the moving on and maybe putting in coin. If I had put in some coins, I really wondered if more food would be given the dog.
If someone is singing/playing instrument .. do you donate? how do you decide the yes/no? and if yes, then how much?
People sitting on the sidewalk with signs begging for funds .. do you donate? how do you decide the yes/no? and if yes, then how much?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 BUY PASSPORTS,DRIVERS LICENSES,ID CARDS,BIRTH CERTIFICATES, GREEN CARD
- 2 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 3 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 4 Shorts in South of France?
- 5 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 6 barcelona neighborhood
- 7 Budapest language lessons
- 8 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 9 Alsace to Austria?
- 10 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 11 Late fall 2015 visit to Poland, Budapest and Amsterdam
- 12 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 13 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 14 Private Guide in Lyon
- 15 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 16 Budapest Card
- 17 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 18 base for Andalucia
- 19 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 20 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 21 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 22 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 23 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 24 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 25 Regarding Residence Permit