I just returned from a vacation to York and Edinburgh (some trip notes to come soon).
I remember seeing buskers on my last trip in 2010 to Edinburgh. I don't remember seeing people straight begging (sitting on sidewalk with cardboard sign). I saw one in York and 4-5 in Edinburgh.
Most of the Edinburgh folk who were straight begging also had dogs with them. One dog held a cap in his teeth. The others just slept.
I was really uncomfortable with the dog holding the cap. Yes, it attracted me to want to donate. I did not like how thin the dog was (complete skin-and-bones, no, but definitely on very thin side). I ended up walking on, not sure what to do, and uncomfortable with both the moving on and maybe putting in coin. If I had put in some coins, I really wondered if more food would be given the dog.
If someone is singing/playing instrument .. do you donate? how do you decide the yes/no? and if yes, then how much?
People sitting on the sidewalk with signs begging for funds .. do you donate? how do you decide the yes/no? and if yes, then how much?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 2 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 3 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 4 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 5 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 6 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 7 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 8 Stuck in Paris
- 9 RS view on booking.com & the like
- 10 Berlin to ?
- 11 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 12 Exploring Lisbon & where else?
- 13 Renting a car in Greece
- 14 Hiking the Cinque Terre Trails?
- 15 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 16 Spain - day driver advice
- 17 Greece
- 18 Ex-pats with young kids
- 19 Iceland france spain
- 20 Ludwig Castles
- 21 Help on ancient history route
- 22 London with Teens Trip Report
- 23 Paris hotel
- 24 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 25 Spanish food - not that special?