I just returned from a vacation to York and Edinburgh (some trip notes to come soon).
I remember seeing buskers on my last trip in 2010 to Edinburgh. I don't remember seeing people straight begging (sitting on sidewalk with cardboard sign). I saw one in York and 4-5 in Edinburgh.
Most of the Edinburgh folk who were straight begging also had dogs with them. One dog held a cap in his teeth. The others just slept.
I was really uncomfortable with the dog holding the cap. Yes, it attracted me to want to donate. I did not like how thin the dog was (complete skin-and-bones, no, but definitely on very thin side). I ended up walking on, not sure what to do, and uncomfortable with both the moving on and maybe putting in coin. If I had put in some coins, I really wondered if more food would be given the dog.
If someone is singing/playing instrument .. do you donate? how do you decide the yes/no? and if yes, then how much?
People sitting on the sidewalk with signs begging for funds .. do you donate? how do you decide the yes/no? and if yes, then how much?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Base for wine tasting and last night in Lisbon
- 2 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 3 Germany in December Trip Report
- 4 Planning a European Trip
- 5 Lisbon trip report
- 6 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 7 Naples, Italy
- 8 Tour of Northern Italy
- 9 So much to do, so little time!
- 10 San Sebastian
- 11 Europe in January - Is It Worth It?
- 12 Driving in Italy?
- 13 American Tourister luggage- good or bad?
- 14 Train or car rental: Venice to Pisa
- 15 First time in Europe for 10 days! Help!
- 16 French restaurants
- 17 driving the coastline of Croatia
- 18 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 19 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 20 Paris to Barcelona and Lourdes by train/car
- 21 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 22 St Remy to Nice in Three Days?
- 23 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 24 Europe's Most Iconic Sights...???????
- 25 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome