It's been a bit since I've posted but the cold weather looming has got me daydreaming of an excursion. I apologize if this topic is redundant but I seek genuine advice.
I have been planning a 5-8 week backpacking trip and while I have some broad strokes of my plans I feel as though I need to start aiming for a budget so I can see how soon I can project to be commencing my travels.
Length: The length of the trip for purposes of this thread is 6 weeks. It may be a little shorter or longer all said in done by I think 6 weeks is a great gauge to start.
Where: Spain > France > Italy. Very loose but definitely need to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Burgundy (Day in Dijon), Venice and somewhere in southern Italy (Sicily/Calabria)
[Flight: Probably fly into Madrid and out of a big airport in Italy (i.e. Milan) this is coming from Boston or Philadelphia (whichever is cheaper)]
Accommodations: Mostly hostels. I'm 24 and love to just get around to places, meet new people and live as freely on a budget as possible. When I lived in Europe, essentially all of my trips' lodging involved hostels. I'll probably spend a night or two in a moderate level of hotel just for kicks
Other details: Trip will involve mostly bigger city visits for 3-4 days with small town day trips sprinkled in, a couple of vineyard trips (Hoping for Burgundy and Piemonte) Don't plan on spending very much of souvenirs and am deciding between train passes (Eurail has a discount for the 3 country pass) and discount air like RyanAir. Eating would be on the lower end with a couple of splurge meals per week since I am a bit of foodie and wine geek. Some of the trip would be broken into doing outdoor activities with little cost and perhaps a bit of camping since I'm an outdoors guy
So with this is in mind what type of budget do you think I should target for. I'm counting around 900 for flights (Looking to leave around mid-February/Early- March). If anyone knows a good resource for planning a budget like this that would be very helpful.
Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trad Music and Hops--Our Week in Dublin
- 2 Recommendations for trip to Cochem
- 3 I bought a one way ticket to Europe.
- 4 Ireland for work. Add on a week-Scotland? Netherlands?
- 5 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 6 FYI, Bourdain in Porto, this Sunday (July 2)
- 7 17 year old need a birth certificate to travel?
- 8 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 9 15 day honeymoon trip in December
- 10 Paris - Top Foodie Eats? Staying near Le Marais
- 11 Maximizing Norway time
- 12 Possible British Airways strike action, July 2017
- 13 Lisbon Hotel choice
- 14 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 15 Train from Brussels to Amsterdam
- 16 Greece Honeymoon Itineraries
- 17 Hiking in Switzerland
- 18 Charming Balcony Hotel in Le Marais?
- 19 Need help planning trip after Paris
- 20 David's First Draft Itinerary for Northern Spain and Portugal 2018
- 21 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 22 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 23 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 24 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 25 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy