It's been a bit since I've posted but the cold weather looming has got me daydreaming of an excursion. I apologize if this topic is redundant but I seek genuine advice.
I have been planning a 5-8 week backpacking trip and while I have some broad strokes of my plans I feel as though I need to start aiming for a budget so I can see how soon I can project to be commencing my travels.
Length: The length of the trip for purposes of this thread is 6 weeks. It may be a little shorter or longer all said in done by I think 6 weeks is a great gauge to start.
Where: Spain > France > Italy. Very loose but definitely need to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Burgundy (Day in Dijon), Venice and somewhere in southern Italy (Sicily/Calabria)
[Flight: Probably fly into Madrid and out of a big airport in Italy (i.e. Milan) this is coming from Boston or Philadelphia (whichever is cheaper)]
Accommodations: Mostly hostels. I'm 24 and love to just get around to places, meet new people and live as freely on a budget as possible. When I lived in Europe, essentially all of my trips' lodging involved hostels. I'll probably spend a night or two in a moderate level of hotel just for kicks
Other details: Trip will involve mostly bigger city visits for 3-4 days with small town day trips sprinkled in, a couple of vineyard trips (Hoping for Burgundy and Piemonte) Don't plan on spending very much of souvenirs and am deciding between train passes (Eurail has a discount for the 3 country pass) and discount air like RyanAir. Eating would be on the lower end with a couple of splurge meals per week since I am a bit of foodie and wine geek. Some of the trip would be broken into doing outdoor activities with little cost and perhaps a bit of camping since I'm an outdoors guy
So with this is in mind what type of budget do you think I should target for. I'm counting around 900 for flights (Looking to leave around mid-February/Early- March). If anyone knows a good resource for planning a budget like this that would be very helpful.
Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to go...one month w/a one year old
- 2 Greek Islands (small)
- 3 Reputable Apartment Company in Granada
- 4 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 5 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 6 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 7 Reindeer Migration on NRK
- 8 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 9 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 10 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 11 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 12 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 13 Neighborhood for Dubrovnik
- 14 Where to stay in September in the Swiss Alps
- 15 Venice > Garda > Verona > Bologna thoughts
- 16 Summer 2016: Little details I worried about – and need not have
- 17 Help required with Itinerary
- 18 Como Bus to Bellagio
- 19 Are there any Paris walking guides I should add to my collection?
- 20 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 21 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 22 Campervan in Croatia
- 23 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 24 Cell Phone Question
- 25 Which is the cheapest country (and gorgeous) in Europe?