It's been a bit since I've posted but the cold weather looming has got me daydreaming of an excursion. I apologize if this topic is redundant but I seek genuine advice.
I have been planning a 5-8 week backpacking trip and while I have some broad strokes of my plans I feel as though I need to start aiming for a budget so I can see how soon I can project to be commencing my travels.
Length: The length of the trip for purposes of this thread is 6 weeks. It may be a little shorter or longer all said in done by I think 6 weeks is a great gauge to start.
Where: Spain > France > Italy. Very loose but definitely need to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Burgundy (Day in Dijon), Venice and somewhere in southern Italy (Sicily/Calabria)
[Flight: Probably fly into Madrid and out of a big airport in Italy (i.e. Milan) this is coming from Boston or Philadelphia (whichever is cheaper)]
Accommodations: Mostly hostels. I'm 24 and love to just get around to places, meet new people and live as freely on a budget as possible. When I lived in Europe, essentially all of my trips' lodging involved hostels. I'll probably spend a night or two in a moderate level of hotel just for kicks
Other details: Trip will involve mostly bigger city visits for 3-4 days with small town day trips sprinkled in, a couple of vineyard trips (Hoping for Burgundy and Piemonte) Don't plan on spending very much of souvenirs and am deciding between train passes (Eurail has a discount for the 3 country pass) and discount air like RyanAir. Eating would be on the lower end with a couple of splurge meals per week since I am a bit of foodie and wine geek. Some of the trip would be broken into doing outdoor activities with little cost and perhaps a bit of camping since I'm an outdoors guy
So with this is in mind what type of budget do you think I should target for. I'm counting around 900 for flights (Looking to leave around mid-February/Early- March). If anyone knows a good resource for planning a budget like this that would be very helpful.
Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 2 Switzerland in November?
- 3 2 weeks in Europe - itenerary help
- 4 When to buy airline? & booking seats
- 5 Oxford England Accommodations
- 6 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 7 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 8 Croatia transportation question.
- 9 Places of interest
- 10 Southern Germany - a base for travel
- 11 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 12 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 13 Ireland travel passport question
- 14 We were NOT going to Europe this year --- but
- 15 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 16 A Month stay in Southern France
- 17 vienna
- 18 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 19 getting to CDG
- 20 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 21 Ireland hotel questions
- 22 Questions about Polish sights
- 23 Croatia Ferry Help
- 24 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 25 Greece...so many options! (11 days)