It's been a bit since I've posted but the cold weather looming has got me daydreaming of an excursion. I apologize if this topic is redundant but I seek genuine advice.
I have been planning a 5-8 week backpacking trip and while I have some broad strokes of my plans I feel as though I need to start aiming for a budget so I can see how soon I can project to be commencing my travels.
Length: The length of the trip for purposes of this thread is 6 weeks. It may be a little shorter or longer all said in done by I think 6 weeks is a great gauge to start.
Where: Spain > France > Italy. Very loose but definitely need to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Burgundy (Day in Dijon), Venice and somewhere in southern Italy (Sicily/Calabria)
[Flight: Probably fly into Madrid and out of a big airport in Italy (i.e. Milan) this is coming from Boston or Philadelphia (whichever is cheaper)]
Accommodations: Mostly hostels. I'm 24 and love to just get around to places, meet new people and live as freely on a budget as possible. When I lived in Europe, essentially all of my trips' lodging involved hostels. I'll probably spend a night or two in a moderate level of hotel just for kicks
Other details: Trip will involve mostly bigger city visits for 3-4 days with small town day trips sprinkled in, a couple of vineyard trips (Hoping for Burgundy and Piemonte) Don't plan on spending very much of souvenirs and am deciding between train passes (Eurail has a discount for the 3 country pass) and discount air like RyanAir. Eating would be on the lower end with a couple of splurge meals per week since I am a bit of foodie and wine geek. Some of the trip would be broken into doing outdoor activities with little cost and perhaps a bit of camping since I'm an outdoors guy
So with this is in mind what type of budget do you think I should target for. I'm counting around 900 for flights (Looking to leave around mid-February/Early- March). If anyone knows a good resource for planning a budget like this that would be very helpful.
Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Hotels for 6 25 year old guys - Paris and London
- 2 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 3 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 4 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 5 Germany train help!
- 6 Spain in July
- 7 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 8 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 9 Renaissance Paris Vendome
- 10 Meteora for older folk
- 11 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 12 Liverpool & Beatles port tour
- 13 Train help for Prague
- 14 Input desired concerning my Sicily itinerary
- 15 Athens
- 16 We're here!
- 17 Cote d'Azur--Having Second Thoughts...
- 18 Petrol in Greece
- 19 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 20 FOCUS ON FRANCE: Paris and South of France
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Budapest & Prague
- 23 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 24 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 25 Paris day trips August