It's been a bit since I've posted but the cold weather looming has got me daydreaming of an excursion. I apologize if this topic is redundant but I seek genuine advice.
I have been planning a 5-8 week backpacking trip and while I have some broad strokes of my plans I feel as though I need to start aiming for a budget so I can see how soon I can project to be commencing my travels.
Length: The length of the trip for purposes of this thread is 6 weeks. It may be a little shorter or longer all said in done by I think 6 weeks is a great gauge to start.
Where: Spain > France > Italy. Very loose but definitely need to hit Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Burgundy (Day in Dijon), Venice and somewhere in southern Italy (Sicily/Calabria)
[Flight: Probably fly into Madrid and out of a big airport in Italy (i.e. Milan) this is coming from Boston or Philadelphia (whichever is cheaper)]
Accommodations: Mostly hostels. I'm 24 and love to just get around to places, meet new people and live as freely on a budget as possible. When I lived in Europe, essentially all of my trips' lodging involved hostels. I'll probably spend a night or two in a moderate level of hotel just for kicks
Other details: Trip will involve mostly bigger city visits for 3-4 days with small town day trips sprinkled in, a couple of vineyard trips (Hoping for Burgundy and Piemonte) Don't plan on spending very much of souvenirs and am deciding between train passes (Eurail has a discount for the 3 country pass) and discount air like RyanAir. Eating would be on the lower end with a couple of splurge meals per week since I am a bit of foodie and wine geek. Some of the trip would be broken into doing outdoor activities with little cost and perhaps a bit of camping since I'm an outdoors guy
So with this is in mind what type of budget do you think I should target for. I'm counting around 900 for flights (Looking to leave around mid-February/Early- March). If anyone knows a good resource for planning a budget like this that would be very helpful.
Thank you all!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 2 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 3 LEXMARK Printer Installation Contact 1:800:681:7208 LEXMARK Tec*h 24/7
- 4 Milan or Turin
- 5 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 6 Frankfurt to UK
- 7 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 8 God Save the Queen?
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 11 Stanbr and Lolly visit Eastern Crete
- 12 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 13 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 14 9 Days in Spain
- 15 Barcelona alternative
- 16 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 17 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 18 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 19 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 20 Spanish Medical Providers
- 21 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 22 Paris to Italy
- 23 Driving through Paris
- 24 Rome or Lisbon during end of November? Please help me pick
- 25 May Day 2018 in Slovenia