Hello, dear Fodorites!
It's so good to be back! BFF and I are in the infancy stages of planning this year's spring break adventure. Since the Zika virus put paid to our sun-filled dreams, we decided to accomplish some childhood ones instead: hers by going to Budapest, and mine by going to Vienna. And, since you all have never steered us wrong (who can forget your amazing recommendations in Puerto Rico, Bermuda, NOLA, etc.?), we are in the market for your faves.
We are deciding against getting a car this year (unless you all recommend otherwise), and instead we are travelling by train. We are flying into and out of Budapest, with a plan to spend time there before heading to Vienna. Beyond that, we are looking for suggestions for the following:
1. What to skip: Obviously we don't have time to see everything we would like to see. We love architecture, medieval, Baroque and WWII history, classical music, art, museums and culture (Really, these two cities are ideal for us), and we know we would need at least three weeks to do it all, not six days. So, what WOULDN'T you see, if you could do it over again? Or, what can you do in shorter than recommended times? (i.e. I hear Schönnbrunn takes a whole day, but does it really?)
2. Music: get a standing ticket to the opera in Vienna, or go to the Mozart and Strauss fest at Schönnbrunn? Or ... We want to do at least one classical music event.
3. Ruin bars in Budapest: guidebooks say go to Szimpla Kert, but is it too much of a tourist trap now?
4. Budapest baths: We will be here the second week in April, so will probably want the indoor ones. We are also a little shy ... Which indoor ones are better?
5. Musicians' apartments in Vienna: We are massive Beethoven fans. Is his worth visiting? Are the Strauss and Mozart ones worthy, too?
6. To Freud Museum or not to Freud Museum? (Read: Will we have nightmares about our dads if we go?)
7. How about coffee and cake recommendations in Vienna? What are some faves?
8. Which districts to stay in? We will likely do a hotel in Budapest but Air BnB in Vienna.
9. Good restaurants in Budapest for authentic Hungarian food?
10. Beer: What to drink? Where?
11. Finally, fill in the blank: if you had to pick just one art museum in Vienna, you'd pick ___________ because _____________.
FYI: we usually over plan, but that gives us options. In these two cities with this little time, we feel we need a lot of structure. Throw everything at us you've got!
Many, many thanks,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 2 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 3 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 4 Denmark or Sweden?
- 5 Amsterdam hotels
- 6 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 7 Old European currency
- 8 Brugge hotel help
- 9 강남야구장씨스터즈＠강남구풀싸롱☎O1O 4444 9374강남야구장위치
- 10 London Hotels
- 11 Europe itinerary questions
- 12 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 13 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 14 Intercity Notte training boarding time
- 15 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 16 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 17 Back from Paris
- 18 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 19 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 20 1 month in Europe
- 21 Paris hotels
- 22 Gulet - Croatia vs Turkey vs Greece
- 23 10 days in Paris and......
- 24 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 25 Mont St. Michel in winter
Hello, dear Fodorites!