Hello, dear Fodorites!
It's so good to be back! BFF and I are in the infancy stages of planning this year's spring break adventure. Since the Zika virus put paid to our sun-filled dreams, we decided to accomplish some childhood ones instead: hers by going to Budapest, and mine by going to Vienna. And, since you all have never steered us wrong (who can forget your amazing recommendations in Puerto Rico, Bermuda, NOLA, etc.?), we are in the market for your faves.
We are deciding against getting a car this year (unless you all recommend otherwise), and instead we are travelling by train. We are flying into and out of Budapest, with a plan to spend time there before heading to Vienna. Beyond that, we are looking for suggestions for the following:
1. What to skip: Obviously we don't have time to see everything we would like to see. We love architecture, medieval, Baroque and WWII history, classical music, art, museums and culture (Really, these two cities are ideal for us), and we know we would need at least three weeks to do it all, not six days. So, what WOULDN'T you see, if you could do it over again? Or, what can you do in shorter than recommended times? (i.e. I hear Schönnbrunn takes a whole day, but does it really?)
2. Music: get a standing ticket to the opera in Vienna, or go to the Mozart and Strauss fest at Schönnbrunn? Or ... We want to do at least one classical music event.
3. Ruin bars in Budapest: guidebooks say go to Szimpla Kert, but is it too much of a tourist trap now?
4. Budapest baths: We will be here the second week in April, so will probably want the indoor ones. We are also a little shy ... Which indoor ones are better?
5. Musicians' apartments in Vienna: We are massive Beethoven fans. Is his worth visiting? Are the Strauss and Mozart ones worthy, too?
6. To Freud Museum or not to Freud Museum? (Read: Will we have nightmares about our dads if we go?)
7. How about coffee and cake recommendations in Vienna? What are some faves?
8. Which districts to stay in? We will likely do a hotel in Budapest but Air BnB in Vienna.
9. Good restaurants in Budapest for authentic Hungarian food?
10. Beer: What to drink? Where?
11. Finally, fill in the blank: if you had to pick just one art museum in Vienna, you'd pick ___________ because _____________.
FYI: we usually over plan, but that gives us options. In these two cities with this little time, we feel we need a lot of structure. Throw everything at us you've got!
Many, many thanks,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 PARIS
- 2 Family Transportation from Heathrow- justairports or Express?
- 3 Where should I go with my family?
- 4 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 5 Stu Tower
- 6 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 7 Trains in Italy
- 8 transportation from Prague to Cesky Krumlov
- 9 Tour or self drive Douro?
- 10 Which Hotel in Rome
- 11 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 12 Luggage questions for train travel in Italy.
- 13 Mid/late November: Tuscany or Andalucia? (1 week)
- 14 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 15 First Solo Adventure
- 16 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 17 1st Time to Ireland - what to wear?
- 18 SE ITALY
- 19 First Solo Adventure
- 20 Crete Holiday
- 21 Honeymooning in Croatia - 2 weeks in August
- 22 Drive from Piedmont to Malpensa Qs?
- 23 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 24 Montreux Riviera public transport pass
- 25 Alitala
Hello, dear Fodorites!