Hello, dear Fodorites!
It's so good to be back! BFF and I are in the infancy stages of planning this year's spring break adventure. Since the Zika virus put paid to our sun-filled dreams, we decided to accomplish some childhood ones instead: hers by going to Budapest, and mine by going to Vienna. And, since you all have never steered us wrong (who can forget your amazing recommendations in Puerto Rico, Bermuda, NOLA, etc.?), we are in the market for your faves.
We are deciding against getting a car this year (unless you all recommend otherwise), and instead we are travelling by train. We are flying into and out of Budapest, with a plan to spend time there before heading to Vienna. Beyond that, we are looking for suggestions for the following:
1. What to skip: Obviously we don't have time to see everything we would like to see. We love architecture, medieval, Baroque and WWII history, classical music, art, museums and culture (Really, these two cities are ideal for us), and we know we would need at least three weeks to do it all, not six days. So, what WOULDN'T you see, if you could do it over again? Or, what can you do in shorter than recommended times? (i.e. I hear Schönnbrunn takes a whole day, but does it really?)
2. Music: get a standing ticket to the opera in Vienna, or go to the Mozart and Strauss fest at Schönnbrunn? Or ... We want to do at least one classical music event.
3. Ruin bars in Budapest: guidebooks say go to Szimpla Kert, but is it too much of a tourist trap now?
4. Budapest baths: We will be here the second week in April, so will probably want the indoor ones. We are also a little shy ... Which indoor ones are better?
5. Musicians' apartments in Vienna: We are massive Beethoven fans. Is his worth visiting? Are the Strauss and Mozart ones worthy, too?
6. To Freud Museum or not to Freud Museum? (Read: Will we have nightmares about our dads if we go?)
7. How about coffee and cake recommendations in Vienna? What are some faves?
8. Which districts to stay in? We will likely do a hotel in Budapest but Air BnB in Vienna.
9. Good restaurants in Budapest for authentic Hungarian food?
10. Beer: What to drink? Where?
11. Finally, fill in the blank: if you had to pick just one art museum in Vienna, you'd pick ___________ because _____________.
FYI: we usually over plan, but that gives us options. In these two cities with this little time, we feel we need a lot of structure. Throw everything at us you've got!
Many, many thanks,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 2 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 5 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 6 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 7 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 8 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 9 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 10 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 11 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 12 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 13 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 14 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 15 Valencia Spain
- 16 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 17 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 18 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 19 Visiting Zurich
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 21 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 22 International Drivers License for Sicily
- 23 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 24 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 25 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
Hello, dear Fodorites!