Not many foreign tourists have stumbled on this charming Polish city whose name translates as green hill, or if they have, they didn’t leave their footprints on the web. One possible impediment to the spread of Zielona Gora’s fame is its difficult to reach location: three hours by car from Berlin, the nearest international airport. (It can also be reached by train in roughly the same amount of time if the train tracks are not under repair--in which case it can take three trains, a bus and a one-hour car trip from Frankfurt an der Oder.) It’s unlikely you’re going to find yourself in Zielona Gora on the way to anywhere else: you have to really want to get there. We had to get there since Bruce was attending a conference at the University of Zielona Gora. That was our reason for heading to Europe in July, not our favorite season to travel.
Zielona Gora boasts a very nice hotel, the Hotel Srodmiejski located in the center of the pedestrian-only old city. At the tourist information center you can pick up a brochure for the 18 important sites of Zielona Gora which at a fairly slow pace you can see in about 3 hours. There are many outdoor beer gardens, good solid Polish food and lots and lots of ice cream vendors and coffee shops. While Bruce attended meetings I paced the streets of Zielona Gora for five days. I will spare you the details, since it’s unlikely that many will visit this quaint town, but if you do you’ll enjoy your stay, just make sure it’s not too long… (Now when someone googles “Zielona Gora” they’ll have a little more info than I did!)
After the conference we found our way back to Berlin, spent the night at the Mercure Tegel, a really great airport hotel at 59E and took off the next morning for Vilnius, Lithuania on an 11 E (plus 44 E taxes) flight on Air Baltic.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome - To Tour or Not to Tour
- 2 Car rentals in France
- 3 suggestions for Swiss cattle drives
- 4 Up coming strikes at Spanish airports 2015
- 5 From Schipol to ?
- 6 South of France - TR in Pictures
- 7 18 days until first time in France - overwhelmed by choices!
- 8 2 weeks in France next May
- 9 Trip report: (hidden) gems of England
- 10 Bringing home a bottle of scotch
- 11 Need good fondue in Lucerne
- 12 Republic of San Marino
- 13 Looking for beautiful area in the Alps similar to Wengen/Murren
- 14 Shuttle Service in Paris
- 15 Cloest Rome train station to FCO
- 16 Driving from Venice to Pesaro
- 17 Sicily: Day trips from Palermo to Erice, Segesta and Cefalu
- 18 Those Thalys' GI Heroes Train Fares...
- 19 Itinerary Barcelona & Southern France 9/23-10/14/15
- 20 What to Wear in Scotland
- 21 Tour guides for Pompeii and Herculaneum
- 22 Advice on our 5 day Itineraries we've come up with for Iceland
- 23 Spanish Christmas season traditions
- 24 No AVE Valencia-Cuenca!?! Alternatives?
- 25 Car ferry service from Italy to sicily
Bruce and Marija go to Zielona Gora, Vilnius and Rome