Not many foreign tourists have stumbled on this charming Polish city whose name translates as green hill, or if they have, they didn’t leave their footprints on the web. One possible impediment to the spread of Zielona Gora’s fame is its difficult to reach location: three hours by car from Berlin, the nearest international airport. (It can also be reached by train in roughly the same amount of time if the train tracks are not under repair--in which case it can take three trains, a bus and a one-hour car trip from Frankfurt an der Oder.) It’s unlikely you’re going to find yourself in Zielona Gora on the way to anywhere else: you have to really want to get there. We had to get there since Bruce was attending a conference at the University of Zielona Gora. That was our reason for heading to Europe in July, not our favorite season to travel.
Zielona Gora boasts a very nice hotel, the Hotel Srodmiejski located in the center of the pedestrian-only old city. At the tourist information center you can pick up a brochure for the 18 important sites of Zielona Gora which at a fairly slow pace you can see in about 3 hours. There are many outdoor beer gardens, good solid Polish food and lots and lots of ice cream vendors and coffee shops. While Bruce attended meetings I paced the streets of Zielona Gora for five days. I will spare you the details, since it’s unlikely that many will visit this quaint town, but if you do you’ll enjoy your stay, just make sure it’s not too long… (Now when someone googles “Zielona Gora” they’ll have a little more info than I did!)
After the conference we found our way back to Berlin, spent the night at the Mercure Tegel, a really great airport hotel at 59E and took off the next morning for Vilnius, Lithuania on an 11 E (plus 44 E taxes) flight on Air Baltic.
Bruce and Marija go to Zielona Gora, Vilnius and Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 2 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 3 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 4 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 5 Avignon to London?
- 6 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 7 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 8 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 9 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 10 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 11 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 12 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 13 Paris airport shuttle recommendations
- 14 Trenitalia has just enabled bookings for summer 2014
- 15 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 16 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 17 Gotland Sweden Hotels
- 18 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 19 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 20 Mycenae Documentary
- 21 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 22 30 Days in Europe - 29 y/o male
- 23 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 24 Amalfi transport to Pompeii ruins
- 25 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague