Not many foreign tourists have stumbled on this charming Polish city whose name translates as green hill, or if they have, they didn’t leave their footprints on the web. One possible impediment to the spread of Zielona Gora’s fame is its difficult to reach location: three hours by car from Berlin, the nearest international airport. (It can also be reached by train in roughly the same amount of time if the train tracks are not under repair--in which case it can take three trains, a bus and a one-hour car trip from Frankfurt an der Oder.) It’s unlikely you’re going to find yourself in Zielona Gora on the way to anywhere else: you have to really want to get there. We had to get there since Bruce was attending a conference at the University of Zielona Gora. That was our reason for heading to Europe in July, not our favorite season to travel.
Zielona Gora boasts a very nice hotel, the Hotel Srodmiejski located in the center of the pedestrian-only old city. At the tourist information center you can pick up a brochure for the 18 important sites of Zielona Gora which at a fairly slow pace you can see in about 3 hours. There are many outdoor beer gardens, good solid Polish food and lots and lots of ice cream vendors and coffee shops. While Bruce attended meetings I paced the streets of Zielona Gora for five days. I will spare you the details, since it’s unlikely that many will visit this quaint town, but if you do you’ll enjoy your stay, just make sure it’s not too long… (Now when someone googles “Zielona Gora” they’ll have a little more info than I did!)
After the conference we found our way back to Berlin, spent the night at the Mercure Tegel, a really great airport hotel at 59E and took off the next morning for Vilnius, Lithuania on an 11 E (plus 44 E taxes) flight on Air Baltic.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 2 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 3 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 4 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 5 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 6 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 7 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 8 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
- 9 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 10 Public Transportation in England
- 11 Le Marche Research Help
- 12 Firt time VISA applicant
- 13 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 14 Need Information about French Alps
- 15 Murren to Prague
- 16 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 17 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 18 France Itinerary Advice
- 19 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 20 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 21 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 22 Any good apps for Amsterdam?
- 23 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 24 Day trips: which ones are must-do?
- 25 DECORATED FARMHOUSES OF HÄLSINGLAND IN SWEDEN
Bruce and Marija go to Zielona Gora, Vilnius and Rome