Not many foreign tourists have stumbled on this charming Polish city whose name translates as green hill, or if they have, they didn’t leave their footprints on the web. One possible impediment to the spread of Zielona Gora’s fame is its difficult to reach location: three hours by car from Berlin, the nearest international airport. (It can also be reached by train in roughly the same amount of time if the train tracks are not under repair--in which case it can take three trains, a bus and a one-hour car trip from Frankfurt an der Oder.) It’s unlikely you’re going to find yourself in Zielona Gora on the way to anywhere else: you have to really want to get there. We had to get there since Bruce was attending a conference at the University of Zielona Gora. That was our reason for heading to Europe in July, not our favorite season to travel.
Zielona Gora boasts a very nice hotel, the Hotel Srodmiejski located in the center of the pedestrian-only old city. At the tourist information center you can pick up a brochure for the 18 important sites of Zielona Gora which at a fairly slow pace you can see in about 3 hours. There are many outdoor beer gardens, good solid Polish food and lots and lots of ice cream vendors and coffee shops. While Bruce attended meetings I paced the streets of Zielona Gora for five days. I will spare you the details, since it’s unlikely that many will visit this quaint town, but if you do you’ll enjoy your stay, just make sure it’s not too long… (Now when someone googles “Zielona Gora” they’ll have a little more info than I did!)
After the conference we found our way back to Berlin, spent the night at the Mercure Tegel, a really great airport hotel at 59E and took off the next morning for Vilnius, Lithuania on an 11 E (plus 44 E taxes) flight on Air Baltic.
Bruce and Marija go to Zielona Gora, Vilnius and Rome
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris November 2014
- 2 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 3 Mykonos Hotels and Ferry Service to Santorini--need suggestions!
- 4 Art Deco architecture along the English Channel
- 5 Do unused RATP tickets expire?
- 6 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 7 Oh to be in England now that Spring is there - a walk in the Dales
- 8 Greek ferries
- 9 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 10 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions
- 11 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 12 Berner Oberland for 3 days over Thanksgiving
- 13 Which lake to visit in Italy
- 14 Madrid and London
- 15 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 16 Amsterdam to Brussels train connection question
- 17 FRANCE: SIM CARD
- 18 Tipping in Turkey ...and Europe
- 19 SIM card for eastern europe
- 20 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 21 16 days in Paris, not sure London or Italy? ?
- 22 Help! Aegean Airlines booking info & baggage
- 23 Lofoten ferry
- 24 3 weeks in December in Europe, need help with itinerary
- 25 Connecting with forum locals in Paris