Not many foreign tourists have stumbled on this charming Polish city whose name translates as green hill, or if they have, they didn’t leave their footprints on the web. One possible impediment to the spread of Zielona Gora’s fame is its difficult to reach location: three hours by car from Berlin, the nearest international airport. (It can also be reached by train in roughly the same amount of time if the train tracks are not under repair--in which case it can take three trains, a bus and a one-hour car trip from Frankfurt an der Oder.) It’s unlikely you’re going to find yourself in Zielona Gora on the way to anywhere else: you have to really want to get there. We had to get there since Bruce was attending a conference at the University of Zielona Gora. That was our reason for heading to Europe in July, not our favorite season to travel.
Zielona Gora boasts a very nice hotel, the Hotel Srodmiejski located in the center of the pedestrian-only old city. At the tourist information center you can pick up a brochure for the 18 important sites of Zielona Gora which at a fairly slow pace you can see in about 3 hours. There are many outdoor beer gardens, good solid Polish food and lots and lots of ice cream vendors and coffee shops. While Bruce attended meetings I paced the streets of Zielona Gora for five days. I will spare you the details, since it’s unlikely that many will visit this quaint town, but if you do you’ll enjoy your stay, just make sure it’s not too long… (Now when someone googles “Zielona Gora” they’ll have a little more info than I did!)
After the conference we found our way back to Berlin, spent the night at the Mercure Tegel, a really great airport hotel at 59E and took off the next morning for Vilnius, Lithuania on an 11 E (plus 44 E taxes) flight on Air Baltic.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 현대바카라＼※【KTV200.CoM 】※＼인터넷바카라주소。온라인카지노
- 2 Plane to Train Connection-CDG to Gare De Lyon
- 3 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 4 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 5 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 6 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 7 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 8 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 9 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 10 Scotland in December
- 11 10 days in London in early December
- 12 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 13 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 14 Iceland
- 15 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 16 Greece
- 17 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 18 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 19 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 20 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 21 Berlin to ?
- 22 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 23 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 24 tickets for Wimbledon
- 25 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
Bruce and Marija go to Zielona Gora, Vilnius and Rome