Not many foreign tourists have stumbled on this charming Polish city whose name translates as green hill, or if they have, they didn’t leave their footprints on the web. One possible impediment to the spread of Zielona Gora’s fame is its difficult to reach location: three hours by car from Berlin, the nearest international airport. (It can also be reached by train in roughly the same amount of time if the train tracks are not under repair--in which case it can take three trains, a bus and a one-hour car trip from Frankfurt an der Oder.) It’s unlikely you’re going to find yourself in Zielona Gora on the way to anywhere else: you have to really want to get there. We had to get there since Bruce was attending a conference at the University of Zielona Gora. That was our reason for heading to Europe in July, not our favorite season to travel.
Zielona Gora boasts a very nice hotel, the Hotel Srodmiejski located in the center of the pedestrian-only old city. At the tourist information center you can pick up a brochure for the 18 important sites of Zielona Gora which at a fairly slow pace you can see in about 3 hours. There are many outdoor beer gardens, good solid Polish food and lots and lots of ice cream vendors and coffee shops. While Bruce attended meetings I paced the streets of Zielona Gora for five days. I will spare you the details, since it’s unlikely that many will visit this quaint town, but if you do you’ll enjoy your stay, just make sure it’s not too long… (Now when someone googles “Zielona Gora” they’ll have a little more info than I did!)
After the conference we found our way back to Berlin, spent the night at the Mercure Tegel, a really great airport hotel at 59E and took off the next morning for Vilnius, Lithuania on an 11 E (plus 44 E taxes) flight on Air Baltic.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 2 Gas/Petrol shortages in France?
- 3 Sentimental Journey
- 4 Walking GPS?
- 5 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 6 A few last minute questions
- 7 MID DECEMBER IN BUDAPEST
- 8 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 9 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 10 Venice Biennale to Feature Detroit...
- 11 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 12 Ireland - Northern or Western
- 13 now the fun stuff - need dining recs near Goult
- 14 Best 1 Day Bike Tour in Amsterdam
- 15 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 16 2 weeks itinerary for Norway & Sweden
- 17 When to Arrive At The Airport
- 18 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 19 10 day Spain trip - which cities?
- 20 One Way... trust or bust?
- 21 Beyond the Trees: At Altitude in Italy's Snowy Dolomites
- 22 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 23 London theatre fans: advance info about Globe productions?
- 24 Cost of Van from CDG
- 25 San Vino
Bruce and Marija go to Zielona Gora, Vilnius and Rome