It would be great if travellers can comment on this broad plan for a 2 week holiday in Italy. We are travelling with our 4 year old daughter, so dont want to be too rushed, and dont need to see every single thing in architecture & art. We would be flying into and out from Rome. Besides rome, we want to cover tuscany region and the amalfi coast.
Day 1 - 4: Explore Rome
Is it better to spend all 4 days together or break the roman part into 2? I havent done much research into train trips, so not sure if we can go staright from chianti / florence to amalfi / sorrento or need to go to Rome first (from tuscany) and then onwards to amalfi coast.
On the flip side, we might get a good deal by spending all 3/4 nights together at 1 hotel in rome.
Day 5 - 8: Chianti & Florence
Is it a good idea to base ourselves in chianti fo all 4 days? I am thinking some nice villa or monastery converted into a hotel. Where to book a car for these 4 days? Can we do a day trip to Florence from here, or is it better to explore chianti for 2 days and then move to Florence and stay there? Should we take a train from Rome to Florence, see the city, book a car and then drive to chianti?
Day 9 - 12: Amalfi coast & Pompeii
We want to base ourselves in positano here and explore nearby areas / coast / beaches. Any recommendations on restaurants, what to do / see would be appreciated. Can a day trip be done easily to Pompeii? Would it be prudent to again hire a car for a day or two to explore nearby areas?
I realise the above plan is very sketchy and lots of variations are possible, but all tips / suggestions are welcome to help me plan better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 2 Zurich to Milan trip
- 3 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 4 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 5 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 6 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 7 italy Cinque Terre
- 8 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 9 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 10 San Sebastián
- 11 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 12 Northern Ireland ideas
- 13 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 14 Spanish Medical Providers
- 15 Belgium Itinerary
- 16 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 17 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 18 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 19 Driving through Paris
- 20 Can parking
- 21 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 22 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 23 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 24 Electrical Power Conversion
- 25 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia