It would be great if travellers can comment on this broad plan for a 2 week holiday in Italy. We are travelling with our 4 year old daughter, so dont want to be too rushed, and dont need to see every single thing in architecture & art. We would be flying into and out from Rome. Besides rome, we want to cover tuscany region and the amalfi coast.
Day 1 - 4: Explore Rome
Is it better to spend all 4 days together or break the roman part into 2? I havent done much research into train trips, so not sure if we can go staright from chianti / florence to amalfi / sorrento or need to go to Rome first (from tuscany) and then onwards to amalfi coast.
On the flip side, we might get a good deal by spending all 3/4 nights together at 1 hotel in rome.
Day 5 - 8: Chianti & Florence
Is it a good idea to base ourselves in chianti fo all 4 days? I am thinking some nice villa or monastery converted into a hotel. Where to book a car for these 4 days? Can we do a day trip to Florence from here, or is it better to explore chianti for 2 days and then move to Florence and stay there? Should we take a train from Rome to Florence, see the city, book a car and then drive to chianti?
Day 9 - 12: Amalfi coast & Pompeii
We want to base ourselves in positano here and explore nearby areas / coast / beaches. Any recommendations on restaurants, what to do / see would be appreciated. Can a day trip be done easily to Pompeii? Would it be prudent to again hire a car for a day or two to explore nearby areas?
I realise the above plan is very sketchy and lots of variations are possible, but all tips / suggestions are welcome to help me plan better.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Now to Madrid
- 2 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 3 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 4 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 5 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 6 Sicily: which coast?
- 7 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 8 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 9 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 10 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 11 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 12 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 13 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 14 3 days solo in London
- 15 Chania
- 16 Edinbrugh
- 17 Berlin to ?
- 18 Hotels in Turin
- 19 Help on ancient history route
- 20 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 21 Studying art in English in venice
- 22 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 23 Konigsee or Wolfgangsee for a stay of 3 days ?
- 24 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 25 Forte dei Marmi - must see/do list