I am travelling to the United Kingdom for a couple of weeks next month and it will be my first time in the UK(I am from Australia).
I was hoping to get some advice from anyone from the UK or anyone who has experience with the UK train network.
I will be doing a lot of travelling by train to get in and out of major cities in England, Scotland and Wales on my holiday so was looking at the easiest and cheapest way of doing this. My options are either to buy all my tickets in advance, to hopefully get the cheapest price, this has downsides as my itinerary isn't set and it could lead to me missing trains and possibly having to pay for replacements, also I will be travelling through several cities, which adds up a lot of train tickets that I have to worry about not losing.
My other option is to buy a Britrail flexi pass(http://www.visitbritainshop.com/australia/travel-transport/rail-tickets/product/britrail-gb-flexi-pass.html#tab1) which is quite expensive($479AUD for 8 days) but will allow me unlimited travel for 8 days on trains around the UK.
I was wondering if anyone has used the Britrail pass, is it worth buying? Also if I go with this option I won't be buying tickets in advance, so do you think I will still be able to get a seat on the train?
I have worked it out and overall it seems to be cheaper for me to buy the individual tickets(online and in advance) but I am thinking that taking into consideration the convenience of not having to buy advance tickets and to avoid missing trains, the Britrail pass might be worth slightly extra money?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 2 Advice needed re CDW for car rental in Ireland/N. Ireland
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 First trip to Paris! (and Amsterdam)
- 5 When to purchase high speed train tickets?
- 6 3 Weeks in Scotland and Ireland
- 7 Preliminary trip planning for Portugal April 2018
- 8 Munich to Hallstatt in a day
- 9 Help Planning Honeymoon
- 10 Amalfi Coast/Sorrento-which town?
- 11 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 12 Amsterdam Train Help Please!
- 13 Long Train Runnin' through the Alps (Switzerland 2016)
- 14 Fabric Shops in Paris
- 15 Valencia Spain
- 16 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 17 Day Trip From Lisbon
- 18 Parentheses in France Phone Nos...will iPhone dial appropriately?
- 19 Visiting Zurich
- 20 Jamikins and Bikerscott do Le Marche (Again)
- 21 5 nights in Granada and Malaga - what combo?
- 22 International Drivers License for Sicily
- 23 Driving itinerary, feedback wanted
- 24 Greek Islands - Should we rent a car on Mykonos and Santorini?
- 25 Really true that US passport needs 6 months left to enter Schengen zone?
Britrail Flexi pass or book trains ahead? - United Kingdom