I am travelling to the United Kingdom for a couple of weeks next month and it will be my first time in the UK(I am from Australia).
I was hoping to get some advice from anyone from the UK or anyone who has experience with the UK train network.
I will be doing a lot of travelling by train to get in and out of major cities in England, Scotland and Wales on my holiday so was looking at the easiest and cheapest way of doing this. My options are either to buy all my tickets in advance, to hopefully get the cheapest price, this has downsides as my itinerary isn't set and it could lead to me missing trains and possibly having to pay for replacements, also I will be travelling through several cities, which adds up a lot of train tickets that I have to worry about not losing.
My other option is to buy a Britrail flexi pass(http://www.visitbritainshop.com/australia/travel-transport/rail-tickets/product/britrail-gb-flexi-pass.html#tab1) which is quite expensive($479AUD for 8 days) but will allow me unlimited travel for 8 days on trains around the UK.
I was wondering if anyone has used the Britrail pass, is it worth buying? Also if I go with this option I won't be buying tickets in advance, so do you think I will still be able to get a seat on the train?
I have worked it out and overall it seems to be cheaper for me to buy the individual tickets(online and in advance) but I am thinking that taking into consideration the convenience of not having to buy advance tickets and to avoid missing trains, the Britrail pass might be worth slightly extra money?
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 CDG airport and connection time
- 2 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 3 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 4 Travelogue: Copenhagen with Kids
- 5 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 6 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 7 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 8 Travelogue: Sweden with kids
- 9 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 10 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 11 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 12 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 13 Dash to Sicily January Advice hel....
- 14 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 15 Switzerland
- 16 If you had to choose one......
- 17 Where to buy Saffron?
- 18 EATING IN LISBON..first visit
- 19 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 20 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 21 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 22 days and times when museums and suchlike close
- 23 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 24 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 25 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
Britrail Flexi pass or book trains ahead? - United Kingdom