I am trying to finalize our basic itinerary for Britain. We have 3 weeks and two days of travel time. No rental car for us. Trains with the occasional bus trip will suit us well. Most important to us will be the West Highland Rail train ride and the other popular rail that is between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh.
I have an itinerary of the destinations that I want to visit and I have 3 days left over to fill. We are only securing accommodations in Bath (our arrival destination) and London (last 5 nights). We travel in the shoulder season because one can usually find a place to stay almost anywhere. That way if we don't like a location, we'll depart after one night. If we love a spot, we can stay an extra night or two.
This is my first time to Britain. My husband was there ages ago. I am putting the whole trip together for us both. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Here is what I have so far:
Arrive Monday at LHR at 16:00 . Train to Bath.
Bath - 3 nights
Cotswalds - 2 nights
Keswick (via Penrith) - 3 nights
(Depart Lake District and head toward the West Highland Rail to Mallaig)**
Armadale (or somewhere on Skye) - 2 nights
(Ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh then train ride to Inverness)
Inverness - 1 night
(Bank Holiday starts-one week school vacation too)
Edinburgh - 3 nights
York - 2 nights
3 nights OPEN
5 nights London
** Leaving the lake district and training all the way to Mallaig is an eight hour train journey. THEN we would need to catch the ferry from Mallaig (last one of the day) to the isle of Skye and THEN we'd need to find a place to crash. It all sounds like too much. I would rather spend one night somewhere between the Lake District and Glasgow so that we could get an earlier start on the West Highland Rail journey. Maybe we should stay in Glasgow, I don't know. Maybe there is some cool town on the rail line between Penrith and north of Glasgow. I'd like to find ourselves in Mallaig around 13:00 instead of close to 6 pm.
I thought about staying in Whitby one night, only because a friend of mine did. They took a bus to Scarborough and took a walking path back along the sea and amongst the sheep to Whitby. He loved it.
Thanks for any and all input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report - Sicily in 30 days 2016
- 2 Budget friendly restaurants in Rome
- 3 Overstaying residence visa(UDI) in Norway by 1 day(5-6 hr)
- 4 Croatia Itenerary
- 5 Austria czech republic itinerary
- 6 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 7 Bavaria in August
- 8 Regensburg then the mountains - Garmish-Partenkirchen this time?
- 9 Guarda ->Zurich, Luzern->Ascona
- 10 Swiss Burial/Grave Customs - ?
- 11 Bandol port of call
- 12 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 13 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 14 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 15 August
- 16 Teens in Paris..what to wear
- 17 What tickets to purchase for Rome attractons before leaving the States
- 18 Quick 13 day Italy trip
- 19 So glad we went to Greece (and London always)
- 20 Has anyone used Travelex as a debit card in Italy?
- 21 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 22 Novice needs help with Italy itinerary
- 23 One week in Sicily - Taormina, Ortigia, Agrigento & Palermo
- 24 Italy June 2016 - Attire?
- 25 Shopping in Paris