I am trying to finalize our basic itinerary for Britain. We have 3 weeks and two days of travel time. No rental car for us. Trains with the occasional bus trip will suit us well. Most important to us will be the West Highland Rail train ride and the other popular rail that is between Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh.
I have an itinerary of the destinations that I want to visit and I have 3 days left over to fill. We are only securing accommodations in Bath (our arrival destination) and London (last 5 nights). We travel in the shoulder season because one can usually find a place to stay almost anywhere. That way if we don't like a location, we'll depart after one night. If we love a spot, we can stay an extra night or two.
This is my first time to Britain. My husband was there ages ago. I am putting the whole trip together for us both. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Here is what I have so far:
Arrive Monday at LHR at 16:00 . Train to Bath.
Bath - 3 nights
Cotswalds - 2 nights
Keswick (via Penrith) - 3 nights
(Depart Lake District and head toward the West Highland Rail to Mallaig)**
Armadale (or somewhere on Skye) - 2 nights
(Ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh then train ride to Inverness)
Inverness - 1 night
(Bank Holiday starts-one week school vacation too)
Edinburgh - 3 nights
York - 2 nights
3 nights OPEN
5 nights London
** Leaving the lake district and training all the way to Mallaig is an eight hour train journey. THEN we would need to catch the ferry from Mallaig (last one of the day) to the isle of Skye and THEN we'd need to find a place to crash. It all sounds like too much. I would rather spend one night somewhere between the Lake District and Glasgow so that we could get an earlier start on the West Highland Rail journey. Maybe we should stay in Glasgow, I don't know. Maybe there is some cool town on the rail line between Penrith and north of Glasgow. I'd like to find ourselves in Mallaig around 13:00 instead of close to 6 pm.
I thought about staying in Whitby one night, only because a friend of mine did. They took a bus to Scarborough and took a walking path back along the sea and amongst the sheep to Whitby. He loved it.
Thanks for any and all input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 2 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 3 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 4 When to Visit Scotland
- 5 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 6 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 7 카지노방식『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』블랙잭방법べ
- 8 카지노방식『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』블랙잭방법べ
- 9 카지노승률『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』실전카지노べ
- 10 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 11 바카라잘하는법『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』바카라방법
- 12 카지노노하우『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』블랙잭하는법ぉ
- 13 카지노따는법『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』마카오카지노ぉ
- 14 바카라출목표『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』카지노이기는법
- 15 강원랜드이야기『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』블랙잭사이트
- 16 바카라배우기『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』강원랜드앵벌이
- 17 바카라필승법『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』바카라방식
- 18 카지노게임방법『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』강원랜드이야기る
- 19 카지노게임하는법『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』강원랜드추천る
- 20 카지노이기는법『ＮＦＰ３４』。『ＣＯＭ』바카라강원랜드び
- 21 바카라방법『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』강원랜드노하우
- 22 바카라사이트『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』카지노따는법
- 23 바카라사이트『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』바카라게임하는법
- 24 바카라주소『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』바카라사이트
- 25 카지노뷰주소『ＲＳＰ４２』。『ＣＯＭ』블랙잭승률