I've been traveling the rails in Britain for decades - usually with some kind of BritRail Pass and have used probably 30 passes all told on separate trips. In previous days as a travel writer i researched and wrote many things about Britain and British trains.
I totally love trains in general and British ones in particular. They are not nearly the most modern in Europe, the most comfortable nor certainly the most punctual, but every train ride in Britain is to me an adventure, a good way to meet the locals and just a great way to get around as there are trains at least hourly going practically everywhere the normal tourist will want to go.
I'm intending this thread for folks pondering a British rail trip who really have little knowledge of what it's all about - to understand the rail system, give sample itineraries, explain all about passes and point to point regular tickets which, depending on plans, can be the better option, etc. In all i will seek to show why the British train option is a great way, especially for novice British visitors to tour the country (and of course not have to deal with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road)
Questions and comments from others about their experiences are welcomed anytime as are comments from others experienced in the ins and out of the British Rail system.
Dr Richard Beeching; PhD in British Rail Studies, Univ of Oxbridge, England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Legal documents assistants
- 2 Is skip the queue for Versailles worth it
- 3 ATM help
- 4 ATM
- 5 Visit to Sardinia
- 6 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 7 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 8 Area for a 2 Week Stay in Malaga
- 9 London is it worth it?
- 10 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 11 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 12 Montserrat Express
- 13 London in Winter Report
- 14 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 15 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 16 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be
- 17 Mobile wifi for Europe travel
- 18 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 19 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 20 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 21 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 22 International drivers permit
- 23 Places to stop/stay?
- 24 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 25 transportation from De Gaulle airport