I've been traveling the rails in Britain for decades - usually with some kind of BritRail Pass and have used probably 30 passes all told on separate trips. In previous days as a travel writer i researched and wrote many things about Britain and British trains.
I totally love trains in general and British ones in particular. They are not nearly the most modern in Europe, the most comfortable nor certainly the most punctual, but every train ride in Britain is to me an adventure, a good way to meet the locals and just a great way to get around as there are trains at least hourly going practically everywhere the normal tourist will want to go.
I'm intending this thread for folks pondering a British rail trip who really have little knowledge of what it's all about - to understand the rail system, give sample itineraries, explain all about passes and point to point regular tickets which, depending on plans, can be the better option, etc. In all i will seek to show why the British train option is a great way, especially for novice British visitors to tour the country (and of course not have to deal with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road)
Questions and comments from others about their experiences are welcomed anytime as are comments from others experienced in the ins and out of the British Rail system.
Dr Richard Beeching; PhD in British Rail Studies, Univ of Oxbridge, England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 San Sebastián
- 2 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 3 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 4 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 5 Spanish Medical Providers
- 6 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 9 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 10 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 11 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 12 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 13 Planning A trip
- 14 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 15 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 16 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 17 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 18 Castle Stays in Wales
- 19 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 20 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 21 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 22 Can parking
- 23 italy Cinque Terre
- 24 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 25 Zurich to Milan trip