I've been traveling the rails in Britain for decades - usually with some kind of BritRail Pass and have used probably 30 passes all told on separate trips. In previous days as a travel writer i researched and wrote many things about Britain and British trains.
I totally love trains in general and British ones in particular. They are not nearly the most modern in Europe, the most comfortable nor certainly the most punctual, but every train ride in Britain is to me an adventure, a good way to meet the locals and just a great way to get around as there are trains at least hourly going practically everywhere the normal tourist will want to go.
I'm intending this thread for folks pondering a British rail trip who really have little knowledge of what it's all about - to understand the rail system, give sample itineraries, explain all about passes and point to point regular tickets which, depending on plans, can be the better option, etc. In all i will seek to show why the British train option is a great way, especially for novice British visitors to tour the country (and of course not have to deal with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road)
Questions and comments from others about their experiences are welcomed anytime as are comments from others experienced in the ins and out of the British Rail system.
Dr Richard Beeching; PhD in British Rail Studies, Univ of Oxbridge, England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 days Sweden-Norway-Denmark itinerary help
- 2 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 3 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 4 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 5 Another Venice question - first stop of first trip to Italy
- 6 Piedmont as a destination
- 7 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 8 Where to buy nice soaps in Paris?
- 9 Help needed with Europe itinerary
- 10 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 11 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 12 The Txakoli (or Chacoli) Wines of Coastal Basque Country
- 13 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 14 Croatia and Slovenia 2018
- 15 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 16 Passport proplems
- 17 Getting from Positano to Rome
- 18 CANNES MONACO EZE
- 19 Itinerary help...
- 20 Cornwall of the beaten path suggestions
- 21 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 22 Shoes for little feet in Spain
- 23 Comments on Munich, Saltzburg, Lucerne hotels
- 24 Which market between Bordeaux and Sarlat?
- 25 3 weeks Spain w/ 2 kids under 5yrs in October