I've been traveling the rails in Britain for decades - usually with some kind of BritRail Pass and have used probably 30 passes all told on separate trips. In previous days as a travel writer i researched and wrote many things about Britain and British trains.
I totally love trains in general and British ones in particular. They are not nearly the most modern in Europe, the most comfortable nor certainly the most punctual, but every train ride in Britain is to me an adventure, a good way to meet the locals and just a great way to get around as there are trains at least hourly going practically everywhere the normal tourist will want to go.
I'm intending this thread for folks pondering a British rail trip who really have little knowledge of what it's all about - to understand the rail system, give sample itineraries, explain all about passes and point to point regular tickets which, depending on plans, can be the better option, etc. In all i will seek to show why the British train option is a great way, especially for novice British visitors to tour the country (and of course not have to deal with driving on the 'wrong' side of the road)
Questions and comments from others about their experiences are welcomed anytime as are comments from others experienced in the ins and out of the British Rail system.
Dr Richard Beeching; PhD in British Rail Studies, Univ of Oxbridge, England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Countryside
- 2 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 3 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 4 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 5 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 6 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 7 Help with Ireland itinerary
- 8 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 9 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 10 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 11 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 12 When to Visit Scotland
- 13 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 14 Train travel vs rental car in Slovenia and Croatia
- 15 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 16 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 17 Paris Shuttle Service - AVOID!!!!
- 18 Trains in Alps and UK
- 19 CDG airport and connection time
- 20 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 21 Switzerland
- 22 San Sebastian
- 23 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 24 car for four adults and four bikes
- 25 Q re: holiday season in Italy