Just a brief warning concerning the Budapest west-bound trains.
Unfortunately nowadays we are seriously hit by the so called "illegal-legal immigration over-flooding" problem. Every day the Hungarian border police stops, detains, escorts to refugee camps 11-15 hundred people. EVERY single day. All this happens along the border with Serbia. This is the main reason the government has started the construction of 12 feet high and almost 110 miles long wall, all along the above mentioned border. For the time being there is no other single chance to stop that nightmarish influx. I do not want to get involved in any political comments or whatsoever. This is a given fact, take it as granted. By the end of July their number gets close to 80,000. This is a bit shocking, but again this is a fact.
Now, the reason I am writing this comment:
Thousands of refugees still manage to get to the Keleti or Nyugati train stations. Some days those places resemble more like a market place somewhere in Kabul, Colombo or Kosovo.
Quite often there are serious problems to get on the Austria-Germany bond trains. Even when you have valid tickets. Expect delays (this happens when the Hungarian police officers try to persuade some of the refugees to get off the train and some guys/girls are not really happy to obey the orders) and other small annoyances. Those people payed enormous amounts of money to get to the promised land and they really keen on reaching their final destinations, like Britain, Germany or France. Unfortunately we were happened to came across their path...
So plan your journey carefully when you have to get to the airport in Vienna etc., or change trains, whatever. Book your tickets in advance and leave yourself some extra journey time.
I am not trying to scare you or bring on panic. No! I just want you to be ready for any unpleasant surprise.
Maybe you will have the most pleasant ride on a train from Budapest to Vienna, Munich etc., but be ready for the opposite as well. Just in case.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 2 Cognac transportation?
- 3 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #150
- 4 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
- 5 House Hunting in France
- 6 Apartment & Location Recommendation in Paris
- 7 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 8 Granada to Madrid
- 9 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 10 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 11 English Countryside
- 12 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 13 Where to buy Saffron?
- 14 Barcelona cooking classes
- 15 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 16 1st time in ZURICH
- 17 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 18 Trip to CPH - Connection time in Oslo?
- 19 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 20 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 21 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 22 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 23 If you had to choose one......
- 24 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 25 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
Briefing on train journeys from Budapest. Refugees problem.