Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 2 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 3 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 4 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 5 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 6 Belgium Itinerary
- 7 Driving through Paris
- 8 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 9 Can parking
- 10 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 11 Spanish Medical Providers
- 12 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 13 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 14 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 15 Zurich to Milan trip
- 16 Electrical Power Conversion
- 17 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 18 Need help with Honeymoon - Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 19 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 20 First - but not last - trip to Greece
- 21 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 22 italy Cinque Terre
- 23 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 24 Day Trips from Kaiserslautern During Winter Holidays?
- 25 Bruges