Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 2 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 3 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 4 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 5 3 days solo in London
- 6 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 7 4 Days in Europe! Paris, Lisbon, or...?
- 8 Where to stay first night near Manchester
- 9 Hotels in Turin
- 10 Help on ancient history route
- 11 Chania
- 12 Days to Avoid Roussillon, Gordes, etc.
- 13 Now to Madrid
- 14 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 15 Trip Report: The last hurrah? A fortnight in Lake Como
- 16 Village visit in Northern Italy
- 17 May Honeymoon in Sorrento?
- 18 Riviera di Ponente in mid October
- 19 If you visit London, go to the Kew Gardens!
- 20 Sicily: which coast?
- 21 Packing for Sicily and Sardenia: Need anything Warm?
- 22 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 23 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 24 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 25 Edinbrugh