Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 2 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 3 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 4 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 5 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden
- 6 Stop between Umbria and Firenze
- 7 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 8 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 9 Ireland in April
- 10 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 11 Need itinerary help! Dolomites to Austria through Hallstat to Venice
- 12 Planning to visit Barcelona and Paris
- 13 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 14 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 15 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 16 Figueres: trains and timing from Barcelona
- 17 If you had to choose one......
- 18 getting to CDG
- 19 Towersey, London
- 20 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 21 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 22 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 23 Preliminary planning -- a month in Greece
- 24 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 25 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas