Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Praiano
- 2 Day trips to Windsor Castle and Hampton Court from London
- 3 Best way from London to Gatwick these days?
- 4 Aix-- looking for a few obscure ideas
- 5 St Denis Cathedral
- 6 Norway fjord
- 7 Travelogue: Norway with kids (Bergen & Fjord)
- 8 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 9 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 10 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 11 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 12 3 Weeks in Ireland - Itinerary help needed
- 13 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 14 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 15 Stockholm during midsummer
- 16 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 17 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 18 No Periods in British Written English!
- 19 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 20 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 21 Hotel Danube. Paris.
- 22 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation
- 23 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 24 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 25 Itinerary Advice London and Paris with 2 Adults 2 Children (7 and 8.5)