Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 Comments on Apt Location in Madrid
- 3 Shorts in South of France?
- 4 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 5 Camogli and surrounds
- 6 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 7 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 8 Are DSLR cameras allowed for Papal Audience
- 9 Route des Vins
- 10 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Les Invalides Night Show
- 13 base for Andalucia
- 14 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 15 Taxi or Aeroexpress from Domodedovo Airport to center of Moscow?
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 20 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 21 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 22 limousine services - milan - rome
- 23 Regarding Residence Permit
- 24 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 25 Homesaty