Today's NYTimes carries this article about sniffing dogs being routinely used to check folks crossing borders for undeclared cash - and the check can be done anywhere - like in Paris' Gare du Nord where they nabbed a former French ambassador boarding a train for Belgium with hundreds of thousands of undeclared euros.
And French customs officials also routinely use dogs to check arriving passengers from Amsterdam originating Thalys trains for drugs.
So a borderless Europe sounds great and is but if you have any contraband to hide don't be fooled into thinking borderless means like noi Customs lurking about!
And I see the reason for the money checks - money laundering - heck even a former French budget official was nabbed!
My experience with borderless Eurorpe was on a night train from Amsterdam to Munich where I was aroused around 2 am near Stuttgart by two gestapo-like German officials and dragged with all my possessions to a baggage car and had every little think strewn around and inspected - including as final thing, my prostrate checked!
They found nothing - made no apology but said you're free to go - leaving mounds of my belongings thrown all over.
Bordlerless Eurorpe sounds good but for me at least if was not and I was totally innocent, probably being a mix-up case - I mean a senior citizen being dragged out of sleep and them subjected to gestapo like tactics and never even hearing a 'thank you' or 'we're sorry'!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 2 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 3 free international phone calls
- 4 International drivers permit
- 5 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 6 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 7 Any itinerary hints for Prague
- 8 France Study Abroad
- 9 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 10 Paris and Normandy
- 11 Sicily Beach Resort
- 12 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 13 Languedoc, Dordogne & Bordeaux Itinerary Expert Help Please
- 14 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Wine tours and Luberon Wine Producers
- 15 Two days in Rome
- 16 Classical Tour of Albania
- 17 First visit to London
- 18 One day in Berchtesgaden - what should we see
- 19 Anniversary trip to France
- 20 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 21 Austria + Italy 10 Days places to visit in July
- 22 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 23 Where to stay - Honeymoon in Southern Tuscany
- 24 London is it worth it?
- 25 Ideas on our first Europe holiday