I'm planning a 2-week trip to Venice and Bologna late Sept/early Oct with my husband, flying in and out of Venice airport. Responses to a recent post of mine urged us to go to Bologna first, then to Venice, since we have a morning flight home from Marco Polo airport.
I just noticed, however, that during the first week of our trip (week of Sept 23), which we had planned to spend in Bologna, the apartments we're interested in are either already booked or are MUCH, MUCH more expensive than they are just one week later (the week we had planned to spend in Venice) or the week before. So now we are planning to reverse the order of our stay--Venice week 1, Bologna week 2.
1) Would it be too risky to spend our last night in Bologna, and then the next morning take the train to whatever stop is nearest to Marco Polo Airport (either Mestre or Santa Lucia, I assume), and then bus or taxi to Marco Polo? Or to be safe, should we just leave Bologna the day before our flight and spend the last evening in Venice? (Thereby minimizing the effect of potentially late trains, buses, cabs, etc.) I'd prefer not to do the latter, because instead of making the most of our last full day, we would instead be spending a large chunk of it checking out of the Bologna apt, getting to the Bologna train station, training to Venice, then getting to and checking into our Venice hotel.
2) For the week we are in Venice, we are considering apartments as well as hotels (though of course if we travel from Bologna to Venice on the last day of our trip, we will stay in a hotel that night). One of the apartments we are considering looks lovely, and can be accessed directly from the Grand Canal--it has its own private water door. However, the entire apartment is on the ground floor (canal level). Should I be concerned about flooding (acqua alta) of the apartment at that time of year? Or early a.m. noise?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip report: Paris-Bordeaux-Barcelona-Madrid
- 2 Towns around Lucca
- 3 Rouen or Rennes to pick up Rental Car
- 4 Thinking about the Fjords
- 5 Too Little Time in Ireland--Advice?
- 6 Help Planning Denmark Sweden Norway trip
- 7 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 8 Dordogne and Marseille: into the cave and out to the sea
- 9 Athens Help
- 10 Sicily help
- 11 Help me decide which major city to cut based on time of year.
- 12 Experiencing London and Scotland by Sleeper Train
- 13 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 14 Cork questions
- 15 Restaurant recommendations in Sicily
- 16 Driving from Culzean Castle to Bamburgh
- 17 Borghese Gallery Question
- 18 Experiencing Scotland in the Winters
- 19 Will Bottle of Champagne Pass Thru Customs at Athens Airport Upon Arrival?
- 20 London vacation rental agency
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Sim Card
- 23 7 nights in Iceland, in July 2018
- 24 Airline to Rome
- 25 Finland around Christmas time?