I'm planning a 2-week trip to Venice and Bologna late Sept/early Oct with my husband, flying in and out of Venice airport. Responses to a recent post of mine urged us to go to Bologna first, then to Venice, since we have a morning flight home from Marco Polo airport.
I just noticed, however, that during the first week of our trip (week of Sept 23), which we had planned to spend in Bologna, the apartments we're interested in are either already booked or are MUCH, MUCH more expensive than they are just one week later (the week we had planned to spend in Venice) or the week before. So now we are planning to reverse the order of our stay--Venice week 1, Bologna week 2.
1) Would it be too risky to spend our last night in Bologna, and then the next morning take the train to whatever stop is nearest to Marco Polo Airport (either Mestre or Santa Lucia, I assume), and then bus or taxi to Marco Polo? Or to be safe, should we just leave Bologna the day before our flight and spend the last evening in Venice? (Thereby minimizing the effect of potentially late trains, buses, cabs, etc.) I'd prefer not to do the latter, because instead of making the most of our last full day, we would instead be spending a large chunk of it checking out of the Bologna apt, getting to the Bologna train station, training to Venice, then getting to and checking into our Venice hotel.
2) For the week we are in Venice, we are considering apartments as well as hotels (though of course if we travel from Bologna to Venice on the last day of our trip, we will stay in a hotel that night). One of the apartments we are considering looks lovely, and can be accessed directly from the Grand Canal--it has its own private water door. However, the entire apartment is on the ground floor (canal level). Should I be concerned about flooding (acqua alta) of the apartment at that time of year? Or early a.m. noise?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 rocketmail@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tech SUPP0RT CARE *
- 2 Belfast leading up to July 12
- 3 Feedback On Relaxed Plan While Staying In Saignon
- 4 Rethinking my late September vacation in Madrid/Andalusia – Italy instead?
- 5 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 6 Hotels in Turin
- 7 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 8 two days to travel from bolzano to assisi
- 9 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 10 Best layover option
- 11 3 months in Bristol
- 12 TR-Croatia and Italy. A bit long but it's all here in one post.
- 13 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 14 Summer Mountain Retreats
- 15 Watching A Musical At The West End In London
- 16 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 17 Spanish Civil War Tour in Barcelona
- 18 Bus from Potsdam to Dresden
- 19 Trip Report: Austria - salt mine, ice cave, Habsburgs' Summer Palace
- 20 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 21 TravelCard vs Oyster
- 22 Greece Honeymoon Itineraries
- 23 Chania or Rhodes Town
- 24 Hiking in Austria and Innsbruck and Hallstatt
- 25 Lake Como AREA questions