I'm planning a 2-week trip to Venice and Bologna late Sept/early Oct with my husband, flying in and out of Venice airport. Responses to a recent post of mine urged us to go to Bologna first, then to Venice, since we have a morning flight home from Marco Polo airport.
I just noticed, however, that during the first week of our trip (week of Sept 23), which we had planned to spend in Bologna, the apartments we're interested in are either already booked or are MUCH, MUCH more expensive than they are just one week later (the week we had planned to spend in Venice) or the week before. So now we are planning to reverse the order of our stay--Venice week 1, Bologna week 2.
1) Would it be too risky to spend our last night in Bologna, and then the next morning take the train to whatever stop is nearest to Marco Polo Airport (either Mestre or Santa Lucia, I assume), and then bus or taxi to Marco Polo? Or to be safe, should we just leave Bologna the day before our flight and spend the last evening in Venice? (Thereby minimizing the effect of potentially late trains, buses, cabs, etc.) I'd prefer not to do the latter, because instead of making the most of our last full day, we would instead be spending a large chunk of it checking out of the Bologna apt, getting to the Bologna train station, training to Venice, then getting to and checking into our Venice hotel.
2) For the week we are in Venice, we are considering apartments as well as hotels (though of course if we travel from Bologna to Venice on the last day of our trip, we will stay in a hotel that night). One of the apartments we are considering looks lovely, and can be accessed directly from the Grand Canal--it has its own private water door. However, the entire apartment is on the ground floor (canal level). Should I be concerned about flooding (acqua alta) of the apartment at that time of year? Or early a.m. noise?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 2 London Itinerary - 4.5 days
- 3 Stu Tower
- 4 Ephesus - Tour A or B??
- 5 hotels in the Eixample district of Barcelona
- 6 Spain or South of France in July 2017?
- 7 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 8 Puglia: A question about eating @ a masseria
- 9 8-Week Itinerary in Europe (for my 40th Birthday)
- 10 Train up the Jungfrau
- 11 Alternative for Rustem Pasa Kulliyesi
- 12 Greece itinerary - need advice!
- 13 Drive from MXP to Lake Como (Moltrasio)
- 14 London, Glasgow, and ?
- 15 App for restaurants/pubs in the the UK?
- 16 Nowhere 'safe' : London attack
- 17 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 18 Turin Hotels - Current Offerings
- 19 Madeira-anyone been recently?
- 20 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 21 BARCELONA! Tapas, tours & towers - flamenco, festas & food!
- 22 Which 2 towns as base for Brittany and Normandy
- 23 First Trip to Ireland
- 24 After the Cinque Terre and before Genoa
- 25 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please