For the zillioneth straight year since WW2 era darkness I'd hazzard (though not sure) the phenomenally famous and popular Blackpool Lights (a k a Illuminations) will light up the several miles of sea front boardwalk this year from Sep 4 thru Nov 8 - the big turn on day is a big hit with a mystery celebrity to trip the lights fantastic.
Blackpool at any time of year can be a blast - it's the most popular tourist destination in Britain I've read outside of London - so if going say London to Scotland or Bath to Scotland take a break for something way different from the cutlural things most tourists are attracted too -
Here in Blackpool you'll see several miles of Christmas lights and pictures - some trams are even all lit-up - locals from all over the area flock here to join the parade in their cars, which to me is also part of the show as giddy folks sipping perhaps too much bubbly have just a fun time driving so so slowly thru the lights.
Many upper-class Brits disdain Blackpool and the Lights - every year when I post this there is a chorus of FodorBrits dissing the place as about the worst scum-bag ridden place on Earth but if you want to see a different slice of British life than normal Blackpool is where it's at - a parade of tea cshops, cheap cafeterias, 'rock' shops, tacky souvenir shops and certainly pubs - a working class haven for sure but one that anyone could love for the experience.
So for one of the most fabulously popular events in all of England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland and Berwick-on-Tweed check out Blackpool and especially if popular its fantastic light show.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe First Timers
- 2 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 3 Athens Help
- 4 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow
- 5 Berlin -clubs
- 6 Berlin
- 7 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 8 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 9 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 10 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 11 base in brussels
- 12 A quick visit to Hampton Court
- 13 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 14 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 15 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 16 Brussels Hotel Recommendation
- 17 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 18 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 19 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 20 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Uber vs. TfL
- 23 Swimming in Camogli, Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy
- 24 TikiTouringTwins - toddler travel
- 25 Alitala
Blackpool Illuminations - Tripping the Lights Fantastic Sep 4 - Nov 8, 2105