For the zillioneth straight year since WW2 era darkness I'd hazzard (though not sure) the phenomenally famous and popular Blackpool Lights (a k a Illuminations) will light up the several miles of sea front boardwalk this year from Sep 4 thru Nov 8 - the big turn on day is a big hit with a mystery celebrity to trip the lights fantastic.
Blackpool at any time of year can be a blast - it's the most popular tourist destination in Britain I've read outside of London - so if going say London to Scotland or Bath to Scotland take a break for something way different from the cutlural things most tourists are attracted too -
Here in Blackpool you'll see several miles of Christmas lights and pictures - some trams are even all lit-up - locals from all over the area flock here to join the parade in their cars, which to me is also part of the show as giddy folks sipping perhaps too much bubbly have just a fun time driving so so slowly thru the lights.
Many upper-class Brits disdain Blackpool and the Lights - every year when I post this there is a chorus of FodorBrits dissing the place as about the worst scum-bag ridden place on Earth but if you want to see a different slice of British life than normal Blackpool is where it's at - a parade of tea cshops, cheap cafeterias, 'rock' shops, tacky souvenir shops and certainly pubs - a working class haven for sure but one that anyone could love for the experience.
So for one of the most fabulously popular events in all of England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland and Berwick-on-Tweed check out Blackpool and especially if popular its fantastic light show.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 If you had to choose one......
- 2 Granada to Madrid
- 3 First trip to Italy
- 4 Help with Tuscany villa that is a walk to town/restaurants
- 5 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 6 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 7 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 8 House Hunting in France
- 9 9 days and nights in Switzerland
- 10 A night's stop between Sarlat and Amboise.
- 11 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 12 Driving in Italy?
- 13 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 14 BARDENAS REALES, Unesco site and national park in Navarra
- 15 Croatia trip Planning
- 16 Need help with itinerary! Switzerland, France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia
- 17 So much to do, so little time!
- 18 An hour and ten min enough for connection?
- 19 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 20 English Countryside
- 21 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 22 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 23 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 24 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 25 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass
Blackpool Illuminations - Tripping the Lights Fantastic Sep 4 - Nov 8, 2105