For the zillioneth straight year since WW2 era darkness I'd hazzard (though not sure) the phenomenally famous and popular Blackpool Lights (a k a Illuminations) will light up the several miles of sea front boardwalk this year from Sep 4 thru Nov 8 - the big turn on day is a big hit with a mystery celebrity to trip the lights fantastic.
Blackpool at any time of year can be a blast - it's the most popular tourist destination in Britain I've read outside of London - so if going say London to Scotland or Bath to Scotland take a break for something way different from the cutlural things most tourists are attracted too -
Here in Blackpool you'll see several miles of Christmas lights and pictures - some trams are even all lit-up - locals from all over the area flock here to join the parade in their cars, which to me is also part of the show as giddy folks sipping perhaps too much bubbly have just a fun time driving so so slowly thru the lights.
Many upper-class Brits disdain Blackpool and the Lights - every year when I post this there is a chorus of FodorBrits dissing the place as about the worst scum-bag ridden place on Earth but if you want to see a different slice of British life than normal Blackpool is where it's at - a parade of tea cshops, cheap cafeterias, 'rock' shops, tacky souvenir shops and certainly pubs - a working class haven for sure but one that anyone could love for the experience.
So for one of the most fabulously popular events in all of England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland and Berwick-on-Tweed check out Blackpool and especially if popular its fantastic light show.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 NO Luggage Storage at Padua train station?
- 2 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 3 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 4 Booking trains in Europe (Venice to Chur)
- 5 What's the biggest mistake you made on a European trip?
- 6 Things to do in Brussels
- 7 Looking for Italy Itinerary Advice (8N)
- 8 Madrid airport question
- 9 Bringing wine home from Italy?
- 10 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 11 San Francisco retirees would like to move to Paris for a year- crazy idea?
- 12 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 13 Planning a solo trip mostly to France, advice please!
- 14 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 15 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 16 Itinerary review from a overplanner
- 17 Italy Honeymoon in September
- 18 Advice on Sicily & Aeolian Islands
- 19 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 20 38 Days in Paris
- 21 Naxos car rental
- 22 Greek Islands (small)
- 23 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 24 Domestic Connection Times at Athens Airport?
- 25 Short Trip in July
Blackpool Illuminations - Tripping the Lights Fantastic Sep 4 - Nov 8, 2105