Folks looking for a very different way to get between cities in places like France, Germany, etc can now use BlaBlaCar, which for several years now has matched folks driving intermediate distances - of up to about 200 miles the article above says, to get a ride - just paying for part of the travel costs - profits by the driver are not allowed. BlaBlaCar takes 12% up front of the charges - decided on before booking.
And for those who like to chat BlaBla, named after the penchant of some on long rides to just chit chat bout nothing - you can ask for a Bla ride - meaning you do not want to talk at all but be left in silence or you can be a BlaBla - some talk or you can call yourself a BlaBlaBla - incessant chatter - so the driver beware.
Passengers are covered by the driver's insurance policy the article says.
About 1,000,000 people are now said to use BlalaCar in Europe each month.
The company, started in 2006 in Paris, just got $100 million ifrom venture capitalists to extend its profile and services.
The car travel is often cheaper than the train and for a foreign tourist infinitely more interesting perhaps - and luggage is no problem - door to door service.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 2 Shorts in South of France?
- 3 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 4 Camogli and surrounds
- 5 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 6 Comments on Apt Location in Madrid
- 7 Good mobile plan for traveller
- 8 Are DSLR cameras allowed for Papal Audience
- 9 Route des Vins
- 10 Which are the most beautiful tourist attractions, Tenerife Spain ?
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Les Invalides Night Show
- 13 base for Andalucia
- 14 Any recommendations for a week trip in late October-early November?
- 15 Taxi or Aeroexpress from Domodedovo Airport to center of Moscow?
- 16 Tips for 2018 Eastern Europe trip
- 17 Trip Report - Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina
- 18 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 19 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 20 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 21 Maximizing Relaxation, Minimizing Hassles
- 22 limousine services - milan - rome
- 23 Regarding Residence Permit
- 24 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 25 Homesaty