Folks looking for a very different way to get between cities in places like France, Germany, etc can now use BlaBlaCar, which for several years now has matched folks driving intermediate distances - of up to about 200 miles the article above says, to get a ride - just paying for part of the travel costs - profits by the driver are not allowed. BlaBlaCar takes 12% up front of the charges - decided on before booking.
And for those who like to chat BlaBla, named after the penchant of some on long rides to just chit chat bout nothing - you can ask for a Bla ride - meaning you do not want to talk at all but be left in silence or you can be a BlaBla - some talk or you can call yourself a BlaBlaBla - incessant chatter - so the driver beware.
Passengers are covered by the driver's insurance policy the article says.
About 1,000,000 people are now said to use BlalaCar in Europe each month.
The company, started in 2006 in Paris, just got $100 million ifrom venture capitalists to extend its profile and services.
The car travel is often cheaper than the train and for a foreign tourist infinitely more interesting perhaps - and luggage is no problem - door to door service.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 2 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 3 God Save the Queen?
- 4 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 5 Barcelona alternative
- 6 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 7 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 8 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 9 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 10 Paris to Italy
- 11 9 Days in Spain
- 12 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 13 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 14 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 15 Frankfurt to UK
- 16 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 17 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 18 Spanish Medical Providers
- 19 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please
- 20 One last lunch in Rome - recommendations near Vatican City please
- 21 Iceland
- 22 Milan or Turin
- 23 Upscale Vacation Apartment Rentals in Vienna/Prague
- 24 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 25 Prague and Budapest with a 16 month old