Folks looking for a very different way to get between cities in places like France, Germany, etc can now use BlaBlaCar, which for several years now has matched folks driving intermediate distances - of up to about 200 miles the article above says, to get a ride - just paying for part of the travel costs - profits by the driver are not allowed. BlaBlaCar takes 12% up front of the charges - decided on before booking.
And for those who like to chat BlaBla, named after the penchant of some on long rides to just chit chat bout nothing - you can ask for a Bla ride - meaning you do not want to talk at all but be left in silence or you can be a BlaBla - some talk or you can call yourself a BlaBlaBla - incessant chatter - so the driver beware.
Passengers are covered by the driver's insurance policy the article says.
About 1,000,000 people are now said to use BlalaCar in Europe each month.
The company, started in 2006 in Paris, just got $100 million ifrom venture capitalists to extend its profile and services.
The car travel is often cheaper than the train and for a foreign tourist infinitely more interesting perhaps - and luggage is no problem - door to door service.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 2 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 3 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 4 No Periods in British Written English!
- 5 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 6 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 7 First time in Bulgaria
- 8 Question about Alsa Bus from Cordoba to Granada
- 9 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 10 Alps Drive
- 11 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 12 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 13 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 14 St Denis Cathedral
- 15 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 16 Paris cooking classes
- 17 Sicily-Driving from Taormina to Cefalu
- 18 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 19 Review Final Iceland Itinerary Please
- 20 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 21 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 22 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 23 Praiano
- 24 UK itinerary advice (family of 4)
- 25 Help please