Folks looking for a very different way to get between cities in places like France, Germany, etc can now use BlaBlaCar, which for several years now has matched folks driving intermediate distances - of up to about 200 miles the article above says, to get a ride - just paying for part of the travel costs - profits by the driver are not allowed. BlaBlaCar takes 12% up front of the charges - decided on before booking.
And for those who like to chat BlaBla, named after the penchant of some on long rides to just chit chat bout nothing - you can ask for a Bla ride - meaning you do not want to talk at all but be left in silence or you can be a BlaBla - some talk or you can call yourself a BlaBlaBla - incessant chatter - so the driver beware.
Passengers are covered by the driver's insurance policy the article says.
About 1,000,000 people are now said to use BlalaCar in Europe each month.
The company, started in 2006 in Paris, just got $100 million ifrom venture capitalists to extend its profile and services.
The car travel is often cheaper than the train and for a foreign tourist infinitely more interesting perhaps - and luggage is no problem - door to door service.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 2 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 3 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 4 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 5 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 6 Itinerary Tweaking
- 7 Itinerary Help
- 8 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 9 House Hunting in France
- 10 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 11 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 12 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 13 Is the Jacobite Steam Train worth it?
- 14 Portugal--Lisbon, Douro, Porto
- 15 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 16 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 17 Sicily
- 18 Rota Vicentina hike report October 2014
- 19 Hotel in Vienna
- 20 If you had to choose one......
- 21 Car rental from Barcelona
- 22 Tuscany Day Trip Ideas?
- 23 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 24 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 25 Need help with itinerary & trains