This seems like it should be simple but my daughter keeps asking questions that I'm not sure I know the answers to. She leaves London on Monday and has about 1,000 pounds in an HSBC account. She wants to close the account. I suggested she send me the money on Paypal in dollars and I'd send it back to her in a few days. She says that Paypal will delay the transfer. Can she ask the bank to give her a check? If she arrives in the US with a British check denoted in pounds, will they just let her deposit it to her US account? She'd rather not carry the cash back. She also said that when she returned from Rome, US Customs asked her about how much money she was carrying (Euros, I guess.) I was never asked this so I'm not sure why she was. Any suggestions?
Best way to close a British bank account and bring cash back to US
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Vespa Tours of Tuscany
- 2 first european holiday itinery
- 3 To Paris and Provence in June
- 4 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 5 Car in Prague
- 6 Family European winter holiday
- 7 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 8 Planning a holiday
- 9 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 10 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 11 Euro Train
- 12 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 13 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 14 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 15 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 16 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia
- 17 Traveling within Italy
- 18 Which travel plan?
- 19 London for Christmas
- 20 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 21 Paris: Where to Christmas Shop for Teen and Tween
- 22 Travel by train or bus
- 23 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 24 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 25 Scandinavia Itinerary