This seems like it should be simple but my daughter keeps asking questions that I'm not sure I know the answers to. She leaves London on Monday and has about 1,000 pounds in an HSBC account. She wants to close the account. I suggested she send me the money on Paypal in dollars and I'd send it back to her in a few days. She says that Paypal will delay the transfer. Can she ask the bank to give her a check? If she arrives in the US with a British check denoted in pounds, will they just let her deposit it to her US account? She'd rather not carry the cash back. She also said that when she returned from Rome, US Customs asked her about how much money she was carrying (Euros, I guess.) I was never asked this so I'm not sure why she was. Any suggestions?
Best way to close a British bank account and bring cash back to US
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Photographer in Paris?
- 2 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 3 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 4 First visit to France in November
- 5 Traveling to Ireland and UK for 15 days
- 6 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 7 Coffee in Paris - Article from teh NYT
- 8 Hey Fodor's
- 9 How Much Did You Like Slovenia?
- 10 Airport advice- from NYC to French Alps, then onto Provence
- 11 Advice please...
- 12 paris apartment opinion airbnb
- 13 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 14 Late October Germany Itinerary--Any Feedback Welcome!
- 15 Which hotel in London?
- 16 Official Italy Tourism Website
- 17 Trip Report : North of Spain
- 18 Restaurant recommendation for Milan
- 19 19 countries in a day
- 20 Stansted Express Tickets - Advance Purchase
- 21 Venice; recommendations
- 22 Help us plan our first trip to Italy
- 23 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 24 Greece in November - How's my Itinerary?
- 25 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal