This seems like it should be simple but my daughter keeps asking questions that I'm not sure I know the answers to. She leaves London on Monday and has about 1,000 pounds in an HSBC account. She wants to close the account. I suggested she send me the money on Paypal in dollars and I'd send it back to her in a few days. She says that Paypal will delay the transfer. Can she ask the bank to give her a check? If she arrives in the US with a British check denoted in pounds, will they just let her deposit it to her US account? She'd rather not carry the cash back. She also said that when she returned from Rome, US Customs asked her about how much money she was carrying (Euros, I guess.) I was never asked this so I'm not sure why she was. Any suggestions?
Best way to close a British bank account and bring cash back to US
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Question on France travel
- 2 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 3 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 4 Something unique about your best city anywhere in Europe
- 5 Autumn in Paris
- 6 TR: Self indulgence in London and Venice
- 7 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 8 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 9 Portugal or Bulgaria
- 10 Ireland or Scotland
- 11 Italy and Croatia
- 12 St Germain
- 13 Where to go in France mid July?
- 14 trip to norway
- 15 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 16 Family heritage/name origin services in Poland?
- 17 Food tours in Rome and other tours as well
- 18 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 19 Following the Tour de France via Campervan
- 20 Cruise the River Shannon
- 21 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 22 Food tours in Rome?
- 23 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 24 Rome Food Tour
- 25 How late is too late for a trip report?