This seems like it should be simple but my daughter keeps asking questions that I'm not sure I know the answers to. She leaves London on Monday and has about 1,000 pounds in an HSBC account. She wants to close the account. I suggested she send me the money on Paypal in dollars and I'd send it back to her in a few days. She says that Paypal will delay the transfer. Can she ask the bank to give her a check? If she arrives in the US with a British check denoted in pounds, will they just let her deposit it to her US account? She'd rather not carry the cash back. She also said that when she returned from Rome, US Customs asked her about how much money she was carrying (Euros, I guess.) I was never asked this so I'm not sure why she was. Any suggestions?
Best way to close a British bank account and bring cash back to US
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Should I book train tickets before I arrive in Switzerland ?
- 2 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 3 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 4 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 5 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 6 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 7 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 8 TGV Train Tickets/Passes
- 9 How long in Venice?
- 10 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 11 atm cards in Spain
- 12 First Time Going to Europe
- 13 Traditional food in Athens
- 14 Would it be less expensive to buy a SIM card for Italy?
- 15 Cotswolds village base
- 16 Outerwear France Beginning of September
- 17 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 18 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 19 No Time for Both...so...Segovia or Salamanca
- 20 White Christmas in the Alps for Aussie non-skiers
- 21 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 22 weather in Veneto area in September
- 23 Germany Visa for conference
- 24 Hotel in Rome?
- 25 Greek Ferries in October - Q's