I am wondering if there are any simple and 'inexpensive' ways to access my cash while I am traveling to Europe.
According to my bank - ING - I won't get charged transfer/exchange fees if I withdraw from an overseas teller machine. I will pay a flat AU$2.50 per withdrawal. However they also pointed out I will likely be charged a transaction fee by the bank which owns the machine. They also said all credit card/visa debit transactions in stores and restaurants etc would be charged a fee of 2.5% of total transaction. This is also charged to withdrawals made inside a bank.
My questions are:
1 Does this advice sound correct?
2. Does anyone know what is the rate charged by banks to use their ATMs with a foreign card?
3. Will I also be charged exchange fees in other ways?
4. Is there a better way? Such as a travel card? Any advice from Australians here would be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 weeks Europe trip
- 2 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 3 dinner jackets
- 4 Piedmont as a destination
- 5 Which city am i likely to see more skin in? Athens/Prague or Vienna
- 6 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 7 The specific levels of existence
- 8 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 9 Should we get a Swiss Travel Pass?
- 10 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 11 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 12 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 13 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 14 Cordoba Overnight?
- 15 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 16 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 17 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 18 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 19 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 20 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 21 Italy Switzerland Croata Itinerary Help
- 22 Weekend in Galicia -- Sil River Gorge
- 23 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 24 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 25 Shoes for little feet in Spain
Best way to access Australian-based cash on holidays in Europe?