I am planning a trip to Italy during high season (late June or July) and I am reeling from the airfares I am seeing, having always before traveled in the off season. My goal is to fly non-stop from Philadelphia to Rome and return out of Milan. I read recently that when booking flights within the U.S., Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the best times to check prices as that is when the specials are posted. Saturdays/Sundays are the worst days. So far, I have not seen any intelligence on timing a European ticket purchase (other than a friend suggesting that they tend to go down in March - on what this is based I have no idea). So, Fodorites, can you provide guidance? The travel will involve 2 adults and a child in her own seat (which I mention because I have heard that booking more than 2 people can put you in a more pricey bracket, leading to advice to book 2 tickets first and then a 1). Thanks in advance.
Best time to buy airline tickets to Italy for summer travel?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Should I book train tickets before I arrive in Switzerland ?
- 2 I booked "Paris in Winter"
- 3 Two Bonnie Lasses: A Road Trip from Edinburgh to London
- 4 Two rail trips in Italy - buy tickets at station the day of, or rail pass?
- 5 Need advice on Northern Spain itinerary
- 6 specific question about my possible trip to europe with Schengen law
- 7 Walking Tours in Rome and Florence
- 8 TGV Train Tickets/Passes
- 9 How long in Venice?
- 10 Madrid—Portugal—Northern Spain—Barcelona by car, need an itinerary...
- 11 atm cards in Spain
- 12 First Time Going to Europe
- 13 Traditional food in Athens
- 14 Would it be less expensive to buy a SIM card for Italy?
- 15 Cotswolds village base
- 16 Outerwear France Beginning of September
- 17 Determing Location of FIRST BIG TRIP - Where do go in Italy?
- 18 Confused about tipping in Swiss restaurants
- 19 No Time for Both...so...Segovia or Salamanca
- 20 White Christmas in the Alps for Aussie non-skiers
- 21 Italy Itinerary help - leaving in <2 weeks
- 22 weather in Veneto area in September
- 23 Germany Visa for conference
- 24 Hotel in Rome?
- 25 Greek Ferries in October - Q's