I'm back in Europe (actually sold everything back in CA and moved here with the intent of building up my freelance business and hosted trips over time to where I'm making enough to live and return to California!) and headed soon to Spain in late November.
I'll be flying into Barcelona (from Poland of all places-long story which I'll post about on an Eastern European forum) and will have 12 days between Barcelona and my end stop, Polop in Costa Blanca area of Spain (near Alicante) where I'll be house-sitting for 3 weeks.
I'm on an incredibly limited budget since I'm living off the very last of my savings and have only budgeted for normal rent per month (not vacation rental or nightly airbnb rates) so I'll be staying in the most affordable (yet still nice and well located) Airbnb's and traveling by train (versus renting a car). My house-sitting is off-setting the costs of my nightly Airbnbs and train travel.
I have already planned to spend 3 nights in Barcelona and 5 nights in Valencia. I have always wanted to visit Valencia and think I'll find plenty to do. I prefer a lot of walking around, sitting at cafes and viewing beautiful buildings. Though I'd love dearly to catch a football match here too! fingers crossed there's a match on when I'm in town.
This leaves 4 nights open between Barcelona and Valencia. I can stop anywhere that's on the way on the train, and where I can find affordable lodging ( I wont' stay in hostels but have very good luck finding cheap great Airbnbs).
Anyone who has seen previous posts by me knows I'm big into good wine and food (I don't need to get fancy about it-I just have high standards for quality , outdoors activities (which when traveling solo aren't as easy to facilitate unless I meet up with a group or do something located near society so I don't end up lost out in wilderness) and just picturesque, historic, charming places.
I've been in Prague this past month and it's stunningly beautiful but it's definitely Central Europe, not Western Europe. My heart, my personality, demeanor and eating habits are more suited to Western Europe and in particular the Mediterranean so I'm looking forward to Spain!
A friend has mentioned some spectacular castles and towns known for Cava that are along my way but I'm not sure which would be most my cup of tea and some are cost-prohibitive lodging-wise because of lack of Airbnb options. But, I could stop in these places for the day and just head a few train stops farther for the night if they are un-missable
Thanks in Advance for your help-
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Tour of Northern Italy
- 2 Traveling Solo to the Baltics
- 3 Italy for Christmas Week
- 4 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 5 Two for One Days OUt
- 6 restaurants in Marais district
- 7 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 8 Shoes in Scotland
- 9 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 10 A Month stay in Southern France
- 11 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 12 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 13 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 14 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 15 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 16 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 17 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 18 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 19 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 20 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 21 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 22 France & Italy, May or June
- 23 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 24 Engadine Valley help
- 25 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
Best over night and day Stops between Barcelona and Valencia