I am trying to plan the perfect scenic train ride from Lac Léman to Basel...
I'll be traveling by regional train and think I know the "right" general route to take -- that is:
Montreux -> Zweisimmen -> Speiz -> Bern -> Basel.
Right now I'm trying to decide - what's the best place to stop for a one- or two-hour break along the way? (It's OK if it involves adding another town into the route...) My initial ideas are:
-- Bern, for a long walk through the old city.
-- Some scenic mountain town that has both great views and plenty of cozy places to relax with a cup of hot chocolate (but I'm not really sure which one that would be...)
-- Murten - other people's pictures looks beautiful...
For context, this is my first visit to Switzerland since I was a child but unfortunately it will be a short trip (one week). Other things I'll be doing include spending three nights at Lac Léman (in the Vevey area), several days in Basel (mainly seeing visiting relatives), then one night in Solothurn before flying out of Zurich. If you're wondering why I'm avoiding Lucerne -- that's because it's the one place in Switzerland I've been, and I also don't want to be any place too touristy (I have a sensitivity...).
Anyway, with this train ride, I was hoping to squeeze in a short visit to some other town -- hence my bulleted list of options.
I started out assuming I would stop in Bern. But lately I am really attracted to the idea of stopping in the mountains, if there's someplace that has both a charming village atmosphere, a few cafes to choose from, and maybe an easy walk that could be done in an hour or so (Wengen maybe? Or is that really just someplace you go when you're skiing?)
If you have insights, I'd appreciate them!
thanks a lot,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking reasonable itinerary for 16 days
- 2 Rome or Venice first
- 3 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 4 Eloping in London, honeymooning in Paris!
- 5 Uber vs. TfL
- 6 Berlin
- 7 Best day trips from Turin, Bologna, Cortona
- 8 Lunch near Amboise, Loire Valley
- 9 One free day in Barcelona
- 10 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 11 8 in Rome or Rome + Amalfi in June
- 12 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 13 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 14 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 15 Jamikins and Bikerscott in Andalusia
- 16 Lille Braderie 2017
- 17 Wine Shipping from Puglia
- 18 Apartment Montreux area
- 19 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 20 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 21 Trains in Italy
- 22 Please help with hotels in Seville
- 23 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 24 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 25 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
best "intermission point" on scenic train ride from Montreaux to Basel?