I am trying to plan the perfect scenic train ride from Lac Léman to Basel...
I'll be traveling by regional train and think I know the "right" general route to take -- that is:
Montreux -> Zweisimmen -> Speiz -> Bern -> Basel.
Right now I'm trying to decide - what's the best place to stop for a one- or two-hour break along the way? (It's OK if it involves adding another town into the route...) My initial ideas are:
-- Bern, for a long walk through the old city.
-- Some scenic mountain town that has both great views and plenty of cozy places to relax with a cup of hot chocolate (but I'm not really sure which one that would be...)
-- Murten - other people's pictures looks beautiful...
For context, this is my first visit to Switzerland since I was a child but unfortunately it will be a short trip (one week). Other things I'll be doing include spending three nights at Lac Léman (in the Vevey area), several days in Basel (mainly seeing visiting relatives), then one night in Solothurn before flying out of Zurich. If you're wondering why I'm avoiding Lucerne -- that's because it's the one place in Switzerland I've been, and I also don't want to be any place too touristy (I have a sensitivity...).
Anyway, with this train ride, I was hoping to squeeze in a short visit to some other town -- hence my bulleted list of options.
I started out assuming I would stop in Bern. But lately I am really attracted to the idea of stopping in the mountains, if there's someplace that has both a charming village atmosphere, a few cafes to choose from, and maybe an easy walk that could be done in an hour or so (Wengen maybe? Or is that really just someplace you go when you're skiing?)
If you have insights, I'd appreciate them!
thanks a lot,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Another tipping question: concierges
- 2 Purchasing iDTGV tickets at the station
- 3 Spain in July
- 4 Barcelona - How much Gaudi?
- 5 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 6 Acropolis Athens
- 7 Madrid and Granada in Jan
- 8 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 9 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 10 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 11 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 12 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Ferry - Dubrovnik to Bari - Cabins
- 15 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 16 We're here!
- 17 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 18 Trip Ideas
- 19 Versailles tour with evening light show
- 20 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 21 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 22 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 23 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 24 Vienna, Austria for 5 days in early June
- 25 Malaga City Center Hotels
best "intermission point" on scenic train ride from Montreaux to Basel?