I am trying to plan the perfect scenic train ride from Lac Léman to Basel...
I'll be traveling by regional train and think I know the "right" general route to take -- that is:
Montreux -> Zweisimmen -> Speiz -> Bern -> Basel.
Right now I'm trying to decide - what's the best place to stop for a one- or two-hour break along the way? (It's OK if it involves adding another town into the route...) My initial ideas are:
-- Bern, for a long walk through the old city.
-- Some scenic mountain town that has both great views and plenty of cozy places to relax with a cup of hot chocolate (but I'm not really sure which one that would be...)
-- Murten - other people's pictures looks beautiful...
For context, this is my first visit to Switzerland since I was a child but unfortunately it will be a short trip (one week). Other things I'll be doing include spending three nights at Lac Léman (in the Vevey area), several days in Basel (mainly seeing visiting relatives), then one night in Solothurn before flying out of Zurich. If you're wondering why I'm avoiding Lucerne -- that's because it's the one place in Switzerland I've been, and I also don't want to be any place too touristy (I have a sensitivity...).
Anyway, with this train ride, I was hoping to squeeze in a short visit to some other town -- hence my bulleted list of options.
I started out assuming I would stop in Bern. But lately I am really attracted to the idea of stopping in the mountains, if there's someplace that has both a charming village atmosphere, a few cafes to choose from, and maybe an easy walk that could be done in an hour or so (Wengen maybe? Or is that really just someplace you go when you're skiing?)
If you have insights, I'd appreciate them!
thanks a lot,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 2 Heathrow Terminal 2 - Immigration, Bags & Pick-Up
- 3 Need Information about French Alps
- 4 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 5 First Morning after arrival in Frankfurt
- 6 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 7 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 8 Cordoba Overnight?
- 9 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 10 Paris & Cote d'Azur Trip report
- 11 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 12 Greece Itinerary Jun-Jul 2017
- 13 Holy mass with Vienna Boys Choir
- 14 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 15 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 16 Uffizi Phone Number
- 17 Do I have time for the Appian Way?
- 18 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??
- 19 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 20 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #163
- 21 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 22 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 23 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 24 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 25 Travel within Greece, and motion sickness?
best "intermission point" on scenic train ride from Montreaux to Basel?