I am trying to plan the perfect scenic train ride from Lac Léman to Basel...
I'll be traveling by regional train and think I know the "right" general route to take -- that is:
Montreux -> Zweisimmen -> Speiz -> Bern -> Basel.
Right now I'm trying to decide - what's the best place to stop for a one- or two-hour break along the way? (It's OK if it involves adding another town into the route...) My initial ideas are:
-- Bern, for a long walk through the old city.
-- Some scenic mountain town that has both great views and plenty of cozy places to relax with a cup of hot chocolate (but I'm not really sure which one that would be...)
-- Murten - other people's pictures looks beautiful...
For context, this is my first visit to Switzerland since I was a child but unfortunately it will be a short trip (one week). Other things I'll be doing include spending three nights at Lac Léman (in the Vevey area), several days in Basel (mainly seeing visiting relatives), then one night in Solothurn before flying out of Zurich. If you're wondering why I'm avoiding Lucerne -- that's because it's the one place in Switzerland I've been, and I also don't want to be any place too touristy (I have a sensitivity...).
Anyway, with this train ride, I was hoping to squeeze in a short visit to some other town -- hence my bulleted list of options.
I started out assuming I would stop in Bern. But lately I am really attracted to the idea of stopping in the mountains, if there's someplace that has both a charming village atmosphere, a few cafes to choose from, and maybe an easy walk that could be done in an hour or so (Wengen maybe? Or is that really just someplace you go when you're skiing?)
If you have insights, I'd appreciate them!
thanks a lot,
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London is it worth it?
- 2 Montserrat Express
- 3 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 4 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 5 International drivers permit
- 6 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 7 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 8 Places to stop/stay?
- 9 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 10 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 11 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 12 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 13 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 14 ATM help
- 15 Stockholm 5.5 days
- 16 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 17 Visit to Sardinia
- 18 Car Rentals in Ireland
- 19 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 20 Advice on 1 day trip to Black Forest
- 21 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 22 6 days in Stockholm - itinerary, questions
- 23 Help me make this possible!
- 24 Croatia Intinerary August 2017
- 25 Road Trip - Ireland, Scotland and England
best "intermission point" on scenic train ride from Montreaux to Basel?